Cassette deck problem

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hello everyone, I have just tried to use my trusty Technics TR373 cassette deck for the first time in ages. The plan was to record a late programme off Radio 2 last night and listen back. When I started the recording all was well, levels were fine and I left it to record.

I went to play the recording and there is no sound and the level meters do not move, although the tapes are running through fine. I have tried other tapes in the machine and they are the same, no sound and no movement in the level meters, although the tapes have recordings on them and I have checked them using an old Sony Walkman, the new recording also starts off with sound, although I haven't had a chance to check the entire tape.

Has anyone any idea what could be the problem? All connections are fine, it just seems the tape decks are not recognising any recorded material.

Thanks for any ideas.

cjackson

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mate,

I had this problem with an old Technics Tape Deck of mine, I found cleaning the tape heads works and also I noticed thet like mine your "Play" button is like mine and it is a single press button rather than a button that actually de-presses. Check that when you hit play the tape is actually spinning, could be a problem with your button mechanism otherwise.

Give a thoroughly good clean anyway some times seems to work.

Hope this helps you mate

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
At least you can hear it again on BBC iPlayer.

Or...

If you have a DVD recorder (with built-in HDD) you could set it up in advance to record the radio programme from Freeview using an easy on-screen menu (takes seconds) and then playback afterwards through your hifi (with the aid a phono cable from the DVD into a spare input on your amp.) These Freeview radio broadcasts are excellent quality and not far off the sound you would get from an expensive tuner with a good FM antenna.

If you then wanted a permanent copy just pop a blank DVD-R disk in instead.

There is also free software that will allow you to record from an analogue source (like your tuner) to your PC or Mac. All the kit you need is a 3.5mm jack - 2xRCA phono lead. (so long as your amp has a 'tape out' connection).

The software I use has virtual VU meters and a standard set of cassette-like controls on screen.

Then afterwards just import it to your iTunes (or whatever you use).

Many easier/more convenient options than cassettes nowadays that sound as good (or better).

A

Anonymous

Whatever the problem with the deck is, it would probably cost more to fix it (if you're not able to do so yourself) than buying a digital recorder with far better SQ.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, the main problem is as Andrew suggests I think something internal has died. I have quite a few old tapes and woulld like to be able to listen to them and have found a decent used deck on ebay and am waiting for the auction to finish to see if I'm lucky as that will be cheaper than repairing the deck.

I've used iplayer to have a listen as it was one of my favourite musicians (Richard Hawley)presenting the programme about the Ocean.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Just won one of these on for £10 and it's close enough to collect - result!

Technics
RS-BX501
, think this was a WHF 4 or 5 star back in the day.
emotion-2.gif

Thanks everyone for your help.

Steve

A

Anonymous

Came to this late as a result of a search for cassette deck advice.

Am in a similar position - used cassette player for first time in ages - no sound. I had simply forget to press the 'Tape' button on the amp - :oops:

Tapes played OK for a while but now when first set to play they run at high speed until a rapid succession of punching stop>rewind>play>stop>rewind>play gets it running normally! :wall:

Am also off hunting on fleaBay ... :(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts