Cartridge upgrade

Mihai

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon fitted with the Ortofon OM 10 (not Super OM) cartridge, I'm considering upgrading the cartridge to the Ortofon 2M Red in the near future. In your opinion will the upgrade improve the sound quality? From my research I've found that the price differences between the Super OM 10 and the 2M Red are minimal, considering that I have the standard OM cart will the upgrade be substantial or just marginal ?

D

Deleted member 108165

Mihai said:
Hi guys,

I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon fitted with the Ortofon OM 10 (not Super OM) cartridge, I'm considering upgrading the cartridge to the Ortofon 2M Red in the near future. In your opinion will the upgrade improve the sound quality? From my research I've found that the price differences between the Super OM 10 and the 2M Red are minimal, considering that I have the standard OM cart will the upgrade be substantial or just marginal ?

My advice would be to go straight to the 2M Blue.

daytona600 said:
2M Red or 2M Silver ( as used by project ) red with silver coils

& at a later stage upgrade to the Blue stylus

The 2M Silver is, as far as I am aware, not for sale separately, it is only found on Project turntable packages. The 2M Red would not provide an adequate upgrade in sound quality.

Mihai

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
So the 2M Red will not be much of an upgrade from my OM 10 ?

From my research the OM10 is priced at about 55 $, the Super OM 10 at about 90 $ and the 2M Red at 100 $. For this price difference I think that the improvement in sound should be there.

Anyway I think that the big difference should be between the OM 10 and the Super OM 10.

Mihai said:

From my research the OM10 is priced at about 55 $, the Super OM 10 at about 90 $ and the 2M Red at 100 $. For this price difference I think that the improvement in sound should be there.

Anyway I think that the big difference should be between the OM 10 and the Super OM 10.
They are completely different designs, the OM series and the Red, Blue, Bronze and Black series. The Super OM may be better (can't recall the difference, perhaps stylus profile?) but will be the same 'flavour'. Therefore a bit like going from a blended whisky to a single malt. But if you want gin instead, even the best whisky won't be ideal.

I hope the analogy helps!

If you are in the UK, you could do worse than ring Henley for advice. They sometimes post here too.

nopiano said:
Mihai said:

They are completely different designs, the OM series and the Red, Blue, Bronze and Black series. The Super OM may be better (can't recall the difference, perhaps stylus profile?) but will be the same 'flavour'. Therefore a bit like going from a blended whisky to a single malt. But if you want gin instead, even the best whisky won't be ideal.

I hope the analogy helps!

If you are in the UK, you could do worse than ring Henley for advice. They sometimes post here too.

Good advice. However to the OP a $10 difference between cartridges is likely to be down to the cost of the packaging. You are unlikely to hear any improvement, a difference maybe.

D

Deleted member 108165

Mihai said:

Then go for the 2M Red as that will give you an upgrade path to the Blue at a later date as they share a common cartridge; all you would need is a Blue stylus for upgrade. I have owned the entire 2M range and can honestly say that the difference between each stage is noticeable but small; the most significant change happens when you get to the Bronze or Black.

If you fancy a complete change then try Nagaoka or AudioTechnica. Your money, your choice *smile*

Mihai

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I thought about changing to Nagaoka or Audio Technica, but the Nagaoka carts are low compliance and from my research I need medium to high compliance cartridges for my Pro-Ject low mass carbon arm.

I don't know if Audio Technica would be a good match to low mass arms.

Mihai said:
I thought about changing to Nagaoka or Audio Technica, but the Nagaoka carts are low compliance and from my research I need medium to high compliance cartridges for my Pro-Ject low mass carbon arm.

You should have no problem with any AT cartridge nor the Nagaokas in reality.

Mihai said:

You should have no problem with any AT cartridge nor the Nagaokas in reality.

Mihai said:
Did you experimented with this combination?

No. However at this sort of budget compliance becomes pretty much irrelevant. The idea is to get a good all- round cartridge I imagine. The Project tonearm is not what I'd call low mass, leastways not compared to some older models I have used which definitely were, I have had many so called tonearms in the past and believe me if you're restricting your buying on things like compliance at this level you are casting aside many a fine sounding cartridge.

So, fret yet not, ditch both options and buy a Nagaoka MP110 or Shure M97ex. You'll not be disappointed. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts