Cartridge Upgrade

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Happy New Year to you all.

Having recently started to listen to more vinyl I've purchased an old Audiolab 8000a and a pair of Quad 11L2's should be here in the next couple of days. I've now started thinking it might be time to upgrade the cartridge on my turntable, it's currently fitted with a Ortofon OM5e that came with the turntable. I've set my budget at around the £100 mark and considering either the Grado Prestige Silver or the Ortofon 2m Red. I listen to a wide range of music apart from classical so really want one that's a good all rounder rather than genre specific. So has anybody got any experience with these 2 and would they suit my system and what I listen to or can anyone suggest any alternatives. Also don't mind pushing the budget up a bit if I'm going to notice a significant improvement but don't want to get to the point where the cartridge is too good for the turntable if you see what I mean.

Thanks for any help

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply mate. I had looked at the blue but wasn't sure if my turntable was up to it but I'll definitely consider it.

Also been looking at the Goldring 2100 today. Seems to get good reviews, any thoughts on this one?

I have had no personal experience with Goldring cartridges but I do remember the 2400 got good reviews but these are approx. £170.

I would assume the 2100 is quite similar and should be OK in your tonearm.

Is there a big difference in the price between this and Ortofon?

Ultimately the choice is yours I am sure any we have discussed will bring big benefits.

Troy62:

Thanks for the reply mate. I had looked at the blue but wasn't sure if my turntable was up to it but I'll definitely consider it.

Also been looking at the Goldring 2100 today. Seems to get good reviews, any thoughts on this one?

Your TT should be up to it...I've the Clear Audio Classic Wood connected to my Xpression 1, which retails at about £240.00, so should be fine.

A

Anonymous

The Xpression is a lot better turntable than the Debut. I'd not go beyond the Ortofon Red for the Debut, or the upgraded AT95HE available from williamthakker.eu.

Grottyash:The Xpression is a lot better turntable than the Debut. I'd not go beyond the Ortofon Red for the Debut, or the upgraded AT95HE available from williamthakker.eu.

Interesting: Thought the Debut was modern equivilent to the Xpression 1, so expect to be as good if not better than my Xpression.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
Grottyash:The Xpression is a lot better turntable than the Debut. I'd not go beyond the Ortofon Red for the Debut, or the upgraded AT95HE available from williamthakker.eu.

Interesting: Thought the Debut was modern equivilent to the Xpression 1, so expect to be as good if not better than my Xpression.
Well, I heard the Xpression III recently and thought it pretty damn good, and assumed yours was similar, just earlier, and of the same standard. If I'm mistaken, apologies! I'm only really up on Technics linear trackers.

Grottyash:plastic penguin:

Well, I heard the Xpression III recently and thought it pretty damn good, and assumed yours was similar, just earlier, and of the same standard. If I'm mistaken, apologies! I'm only really up on Technics linear trackers.

No need for apologies - I'm fairly sure my Xpression 1 was the entry-level TT in its day, so I would imagine it would compare, or maybe slightly better, than the first generation of Debut. There's been two upgrades since so I'm assuming the Debut III would be an improvement on my one.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The new Xpression is a lot better turntable but not sure whether a Debut mk3 is better than a Xpression mk1. After reading the reviews I'm thinking of going with the Ortofon Blue. Main reason being if everything goes to plan I'm looking to upgrade the turntable this year to a Rega P3/24 colour so even if it is too good for the Debut it will go nicely with the Rega. Thanks for all your input.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Grottyash:plastic penguin:

Grottyash:The Xpression is a lot better turntable than the Debut.

No need for apologies - I'm fairly sure my Xpression 1 was the entry-level TT in its day, so I would imagine it would compare, or maybe slightly better, than the first generation of Debut. There's been two upgrades since so I'm assuming the Debut III would be an improvement on my one.

As far as I am aware, the Xpression models (including the original Xpression 1) have always had, amongst other improvements over the Debut range, a superior carbon fibre tonearm to that of the aluminium one supplied with Debut models. The Xpression III is a significant upgrade over the Debut III.

Perhaps our friend Henley (of henleydesigns.co.uk, UK distributor for Pro-ject equipment) could kindly clarify
emotion-1.gif

Thanks guys. I've not heard many TTs over recent years s'was trying to apply some logic to model comparison.

Like any component the TT has it's limitations, so the Ortofon Red should sound fine, although careful audition is needed for more expensive cartridges. Likewise, the ClearAudio Aurum Classic Wood is immensely precise and makes a very noticable difference compared to a price-compatible Ortofon, but I wouldn't go any higher with my Xpression 1.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts