Cartridge upgrade (Pro-ject debut MK2 Speed box)

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
I went to my local hi-fi shop for a new OM20 stylus and they said instead of spending £85 on a new stylus why not spend the money on upgrading the cardridge to a Ortofon 2M red they say it will be much better than the 0M20 and they fit them, set it up etc, advice please.

T

the record spot

How will it improve on the OM20 sound-wise? Do you like the sound of the OM20? What kind of sound are you after? The 2M Red gets a good write-up (isn't that around £60 or so and the 2M Blue is the more expensive?), but you probably ought to consider the OM20 still, the Goldring 1012GX at about £110 and Audio Technica's AT440-MLa which offer various audio characteristics in the £80-£110 bracket.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I've got a 2M blue (ca £100) and think it's excellent. The stylus of the OM20 will be better than that on the 2M Red, but roughly equal to the 2M blue - I wouldn't go for the red as it could be a backwards step.

Basically, the 2M range are all the same body, and it's the type of stylus that determines which "colour" it is - Red has a standard elliptical, Blue a nude elliptical etc...

The 2Ms have a slightly forward sound compared with the OMs and the Goldrings, while the AT is similar to the 2Ms and has almost legendary tracking abilities...

I would either go for a replacement OM, or push the boat to a 2M blue... the 2Ms look much more "gucci" as well!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts