Cartridge upgrade for Roksan Radius V?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

Just this month got a Roksan Radius V and I'm loving it. However I'm thinking I should maybe pick up cartridge while I'm in the States and things are slightly cheaper. Looking to spend maybe 100 pounds (only $150 now!) but I'd also like some more general information.

RayPalmer has helpfully recommended the following:

Save up for:

Minimum: Ortofon 2M Blue 100 quid
Middle: Ortofon Rondo Red 260 quid
Best: Ortofon Kontrapunkt a 500 quid

OR if you don't like the Danish gems:

Grado Gold Prestige 120 quid
Grado Reference Platinum 160 quid

I'm interested in how these would interact with my setup -- how will these sound with my system? What characterises an Ortofon or a Grado (or Denon, Shure, Stanton, etc). Or is each cartridge in their line different?

Separate but related question: is it possible to replace the stylus in most higher end cartridges? Or after they wear out do you need a whole new cartridge? The nice thing about the AT95e that I have is that the stylus can be replaced fairly cheaply.

I'd also like someone to weigh in with MM vs MC (and high vs low output). My amp has inputs for both -- is MC worth it, or am I just going to run into problems with hum etc?

I know it would probably be helpful for me to describe what I'm looking for in the sound, but I feel I'm a bit lacking in the vocabulary department. Clear mids are a priority, but I'd like an education about what distinguishes cartridges before I can elaborate. I've read many individual reviews but they don't help me get an overall sense of what I should be looking for.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
lydgate:Separate but related question: is it possible to replace the stylus in most higher end cartridges? Or after they wear out do you need a whole new cartridge? The nice thing about the AT95e that I have is that the cartridges can be replaced fairly cheaply

Any MC cartridge should be able to be re-tipped at any point during its lifespan. Sending it back to the manufacturer (via a dealer) is the first option, and they will often simply do a straight swap and knock off a certain amount on a new model. The 2nd, and to me preferred, option is to send it to a company such as Expert Stylus or The Cartridge Man as they can re-tip almost any cart, often to a higher quality than the original, and usually cheaper than the exchange option too.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
I like the Denon DL-110, i used the 2m blue before the Denon and it's a nice cartridge but the Denon wins hands down. The 2m series have interchangable stylus but i believe the bodies are different, they use different materials the higher up the range, i.e the bronze and black. All the cartridges you mention will do a sterling job over your AT95E although i still use an AT95E as a back up it's that good but the Kontrapunkt would be the one to go for but at £500.00 is it better by £420.00 over the Denon, £400.00 worth of vinyl says no.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Teardrop, i'm not so sure about expert stylus being cheaper than a straight swap for a new cartridge and certaintly not the cartridge man. I have have spoken to said cartridge man himself and lovely fella that he is, cheap he is not.

T

the record spot

If you're stuck at £100, then the Goldring 1012GX at slightly over that is a good choice, as is the Audio Technica AT440MLa (around £90). Depends if you like a forward, lively presentation with a bit of bass. It works well on my P3 and I'd be inclined to suggest it wouldn't be out of place with another £40 on the price.

However, if you can push your budget up a bit, the Goldring 1042GX at about £170 would be a good choice too. Your deck could easily take it, but it could take much better too in fairness.

A

Anonymous

First of all, thanks for all the feedback, it's a very good start.

the record spot:If you're stuck at £100, then the Goldring
1012GX at slightly over that is a good choice, as is the Audio Technica
AT440MLa (around £90). Depends if you like a forward, lively
presentation with a bit of bass.

Sorry, is the forward, lively presentation with the Goldring? What is the AT like?

I've
read about the Denon DL-110, is it very neutral? I think my Audiolab
amp is criticized as such, would it be a bad match? (Or a good one?)

Does anyone have any experience with the Stanton 681 EEE Mk III?

I've
read that a cartridge influences the sound of a vinyl-based setup more
than anything but the loudspeakers -- would you agree with that?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
gregory:Teardrop, i'm not so sure about expert stylus being cheaper than a straight swap for a new cartridge and certaintly not the cartridge man. I have have spoken to said cartridge man himself and lovely fella that he is, cheap he is not.

On reflection 'cheaper' was the wrong word, better value though, absolutely no question.

A

Anonymous

I ended up going with a DL-160 which I'm very pleased with. Maybe after upgrading other parts of my system I'll revisit cartridges. Thanks everyone!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Good man - I've just bought a DL-110 for my PL-12d, and it's a wonderful cart - detailed, fast, but tonally neutral which makes for long listening sessions!

I've heard many people say that upgrading from the DLs only gives incremental rather than revolutionary increases in sound quality, so it seems the laws of diminishing returns are very much in force here!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
lydgate:RayPalmer has helpfully recommended the following:Save up for:

Minimum: Ortofon 2M Blue 100 quid
Middle: Ortofon Rondo Red 260 quid
Best: Ortofon Kontrapunkt a 500 quid

Well I shall (obviously) put in a good word for the Ortofon 2M Blue from that list. It has only just run-in but sounds gorgeous. You might also put the Ortofon 2M Black (MM) on your list. I have not read a bad word about it yet. One of my hi-fi ambitions to own one if I ever get a good enough TT.

3228548240_e53b0eca14_m.jpg

(My own cartridge and photo and copyright and less than 400 pixels according to house rules.)

Timely reminder for me to update my Avatar too. Thanks

T

the record spot

lydgate:
First of all, thanks for all the feedback, it's a very good start.

the record spot:If you're stuck at £100, then the Goldring
1012GX at slightly over that is a good choice, as is the Audio Technica
AT440MLa (around £90). Depends if you like a forward, lively
presentation with a bit of bass.

Sorry, is the forward, lively presentation with the Goldring? What is the AT like?

I've
read about the Denon DL-110, is it very neutral? I think my Audiolab
amp is criticized as such, would it be a bad match? (Or a good one?)

Does anyone have any experience with the Stanton 681 EEE Mk III?

I've
read that a cartridge influences the sound of a vinyl-based setup more
than anything but the loudspeakers -- would you agree with that?

Sorry, I missed this completely before - the AT has the forward and lively presentation, the 1012GX is a little more restrained; both are excellent however. The AT has gone up in price however (look to spend about £120-£130, although Mantra Audio in Selby had some at the old £95 price recently, best ring to check).

TRENDING THREADS