Cartridge Ideas

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
After a few months without a turntable I finally decided to buy a new one. I've gone a bit 'old skool' with a Thorens TD160 Super with a SME 3009 series III but I've had a couple of these Thorens in the past and I'm always drawn back to them (also they make more sense to me, money wise, than an LP12). The SME does divide opinion but having had the 'lesser' s version I know they can perform more than adequately with a little tinkering. My only problem is that I want to replace the Audio Technica (no idea what one?) cartridge that the arm came with. I know the SME was built with high compliance cartridges in mind like the Shure V15 and Audio Technica range but just wondering what other options I have up £200.00

A

Anonymous

Might be worth identifying the AT cartridge first. Vinylengine are pretty good for that sort of thing. Also, I have a vague memory that compliance is important with SME, and they have all the info there.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Good shout, looks like it's the AT110E, always seems like a process of illimination when all you know is that it's blue and a MM and has no identifiers!!

mitch65:

After a few months without a turntable I finally decided to buy a new one. I've gone a bit 'old skool' with a Thorens TD160 Super with a SME 3009 series III but I've had a couple of these Thorens in the past and I'm always drawn back to them (also they make more sense to me, money wise, than an LP12). The SME does divide opinion but having had the 'lesser' s version I know they can perform more than adequately with a little tinkering. My only problem is that I want to replace the Audio Technica (no idea what one?) cartridge that the arm came with. I know the SME was built with high compliance cartridges in mind like the Shure V15 and Audio Technica range but just wondering what other options I have up £200.00

My ClearAudio Aurum Classic Wood cartridge is superb and should suit the Thorens very well. It' very precise, detailed and full bodied presentation. The only snag is it retails around £240 (circa 2010), although I've seen it a lot cheaper on the auction sites.

Edit - just found this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clearaudio-Aurum-Classics-Woods-V2A-MM-Cartridge-/230567494675?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35aee4c413

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
plastic penguin:mitch65:

My ClearAudio Aurum Classic Wood cartridge is superb and should suit the Thorens very well. It' very precise, detailed and full bodied presentation. The only snag is it retails around £240 (circa 2010), although I've seen it a lot cheaper on the auction sites.

Edit - just found this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clearaudio-Aurum-Classics-Woods-V2A-MM-Cartridge-/230567494675?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35aee4c413

Cheers Penguin

I'll look into that, the price does not concern me as it was just a ballpark figure anyway.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:Welcome back to the fold, Matey!

Had to be done Bretts, the Rotel has now departed
emotion-9.gif
so I needed something to cheer me up
emotion-2.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:

emotion-9.gif
emotion-2.gif

How could you? A '991 is for life, not just for Christmas, you know. Well, I hope you re-homed her and didn't dump her by the side of the road

Nah, seriously I'm glad the Rega DAC is working out so well for you, mate!

Was the Thorens from Steve?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:mitch65:

emotion-9.gif
emotion-2.gif

How could you? A '991 is for life, not just for Christmas, you know. Well, I hope you re-homed her and didn't dump her by the side of the road

Nah, seriously I'm glad the Rega DAC is working out so well for you, mate!

Was the Thorens from Steve?

I sourced it from a dealer up North, quick clean up and looking as right as rain

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
plastic penguin:mitch65:

Edit - just found this.

Now that was a good price......pity I missed it!

EDIT: just found it for 158 quid at audio affair.....now I'm seriously tempted!!

A

Anonymous

I'd be looking at Benz or Dynavector, if the arm will take them.

TRENDING THREADS