Canton DM50 sound breaking up on Bluetooth

Croz

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
My DM50 sounds superb when streaming iTunes via iTunes Match over Bluetooth from an iPad..until the sound erratically and randomly breaks up for several seconds. My broadband runs consistently at 30+Mbps and I have no issues with wifi signal within the house.

Interested to hear if anyone else has this problem....or whether it is an iTunes streaming issue. I will get round to trying another iPad and potentially an iPhone as the streaming Bluetooth source.....in case there is some issue with the iPad...which I doubt. I can also, of course, try streaming from a non iTunes source...so many options...so little time...:-(

Separately, sound from new Sony Bravia smart TV does not seem to be much, if at all, enhanced when run through the Canton through optical connection......anyone else have a view on this ?

Hi, I'm also having the same issues, streaming music through spotify. There are no issues when playing the music on my iPad/iPhone, just when it is connected to the DM50. I looked in the manual and saw that it says that you should not use bluetooth streaming when your device is also connected to the internet as there can be signal interference... can't say I was particularly happy when I read that as I'm pretty sure most other devices manage without any issues!

Did you manage to come up with any solutions?

This may well be an iOS Bluetooth issue. Both my iPad and iPhone exhibited this behaviour with my DM50 before it broke. The reason I think it's iOS is that since the last few updates, my iPhone Bluetooth cut out not only on the DM50 but also in my car as well, depending on whether my phone is face up or face down in my pocket, and depending on whether I rest my arm on my leg or the armrest.

It's as if Apple have cut the signal power on BT transmissions (to improve battery life?), so it's more susceptible to interference and obstructions. If your iPad is in a case you may want to try and take it out. I didn't notice any difference between wifi on or wifi off in my experience.

Regarding optical audio quality/difference - I couldn't really tell much difference between the DM50 and my Samsung TV when I first connected them up. However, when my third DM50 failed (yes, third) and I had to revert to the TV again I could *definitely* tell the difference.

jjbomber

Croz said:
..until the sound erratically and randomly breaks up for several seconds. Interested to hear if anyone else has this problem....

Isn't it time Canton problems had it's own sub-forum? It seems to have overtaken cables and active speakers as the most written about topic.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Canton technical queries used to get addressed by Clare Newsome (ex What Hifi? editor) in her role as group marketing and PR manager for Computers Unlimited.

She was last online here a few days ago, so she'll hopefully see your thread soon.

Croz

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
In case anyone comes across this thread...I am now convinced the problem is as described by Joe Ormrod...that Canton acknowledge within their own operating instructions that WLAN (wifi) and bluetooth interfere with each other ...which doesn' t help when you are, for example, streaming from iTunes Match (iCloud) on an iPad while connected on wifi and then sending to the Canton via Bluetooth. I tackled the retailer on the issue ...while they were not prepared to take the Canton back and refund on the basis that it is "Not fit for purpose" (understandable as it is now 6 months out of warranty) they did offer to pay for an alternative solution ... recommended a Google Chromecast adapter and gave me a £30 credit to fund it. On further investigation Chromecast of course does not support iTunes. The answer seems to be to pay a bit extra and connect an Apple Airport Express to the canton through the RCA/Aux input ...and shoot the audio at it via Apple AirPlay which so far seems to work without interference (and the sound level for some reason seems to be superior to the Bluetooth connection). I had emailed Canton asking why their "onboard" bluetooth adapter could not work alongside Wifi/WLAN without interference when surely most folks are now streaming from some sort of internet "cloud" (I am able to stream to a BOSE 1st generation sound dock with a simple £29 bluteooth adapter plugged into the ipod slot without apparent issue) but sadly no response from them whatsoever, which was disappointing. I see that the latest DM55 operating instructions also state that WLAN and Bluetooth may cause interference and recommend that the "remote" device connected via Bluetooth is not at the same time connected to WLAN/Wifi...which seems very odd.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts