can you still buy graphic equalizers or are they cowboy-ish???

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
just bored and fancy getting one check ebay and theres afew for around £100 that look good. do they have a bad effect on sq.

just like some feedback on people who have used them or tried them out just for future ref. many thanks simon

A

Anonymous

I guess it depends on what you're trying to get out of hifi.

I've always been of the "as close to the original recording as possible" school so using EQ is a no go. That being said, I use the Latin setting on my ipod because the shure headphones I have are so middly (I had my old set replaced with a newer model under warranty and the newer model imho are worse).

So I guess you can try and compensate for frequency bias in your system but it might just make matters worse.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
no way do i want to use it when im have long sessions but stuff my 7inch ghostbuster vinyl and stuff off spotify i may have a play just like to know people views on matter. your in the leave well alone which is what im guessing may will say.

smuggs:no way do i want to use it when im have long sessions but stuff my 7inch ghostbuster vinyl and stuff off spotify i may have a play just like to know people views on matter. your in the leave well alone which is what im guessing may will say.

Thought about one (very briefly) when I had the Arcam. Those who believe to be 'true' audophiles would quiver at the notion. If I had the room I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks pp i just fancy put a bit of fun into hifi and if i buy the right one it will hold its value and be able sell-on when bored with it.

A

Anonymous

Hi, in my opinion equalisers are just fancy tone controls and where as they may help a budget system by attenuating the bass and treble, most budget amps have tone controls to do that job though. (they do have flashing leds that look good though). alas they just contaminate the signal path of a decent hifi. hope that helps. Ron

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
they can be handy for making small adjustments to certain frequencies to help with room issues, i have a behringer pro-audio one. not sure if any domestic hi fi/audio companies make them.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Remember that with your computer based system, you can have a play with a graphic equaliser for free. I know iTunes and Media Monkey come with them (with the option to switch out), but I expect most other media players do too.

ronhjuyfg:Hi, in my opinion equalisers are just fancy tone controls and where as they may help a budget system by attenuating the bass and treble, most budget amps have tone controls to do that job though. (they do have flashing leds that look good though). alas they just contaminate the signal path of a decent hifi. hope that helps. Ron

They are more than "fancy tone controls", and yes, some maufacturers have tone controls... bass and treble typically. GEs give mid range and other frequencies that allows for fine tuning to your room acoustics. They've gone out of fashion because of the twaddle thrusted at us about 'current' or 'purity of signal'...
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Even the most basic hifi's can have a fair crack at the mid-range, it's the bass and treble that they struggle with. most high end amps dont even have tone controls as they dont need them and the extra electronics degrades the signal. Even mid priced amps give you the choice of switching the tone circuitry off if your system can handle it. Ge's are worse cos they have more electronics and they usually need an extra interconnect.

ronhjuyfg:Even the most basic hifi's can have a fair crack at the mid-range, it's the bass and treble that they struggle with. most high end amps dont even have tone controls as they dont need them and the extra electronics degrades the signal. Ge's are worse cos they have more electronics and they usually need an extra interconnect.

It degrades the sound as much as having the light on the CDP - a lot manufacturers recommend it's switched 'OFF' because it enhances the SQ. In my view that's rubbish, I can't hear any differnce with my Arcam, and I've a pretty sharp hearing.

Tone controls may degrade the signal, but not enough, in the average room, to really notice.

A

Anonymous

Yes but you are missing the point why use an extra circuit or even an extra lead if you don't need it. fair enogh if you have a problem or a mismatch in your system then tone controls can help.

ronhjuyfg:Yes but you are missing the point why use an extra circuit or even an extra lead if you don't need it. fair enogh if you have a problem or a mismatch in your system then tone controls can help.

I do understand where you're coming from. Over the past 25 years or so amps have come a fair distance; they are more natural, detailed etc. no question. That said, modern stuff IMHO - and I love my Leema which has no tone controls - is bland, comparatively speaking: you just 'switch 'n' go'. The older stuff, including GEs added a bit of drama... excitement... fun! Ultimately, hi-fis and music in general should be just that - a hoot.

A

Anonymous

That's ok mate we have both expressed our opinions and hopefully the auther and others can make informed decisions about graphic equalisers.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't be put off by some of the anal Hi-Fi buffs they do talk some rubbish, next they will tell you that Russ Andrews mains cables improve the sound quality lol. At the end of the day its what sounds good to you.

Many years ago I had a graphic equalizer....a Marantz EQ551 I believe which was a well respected graphics then and is still sought after today. It had a pink noise generator with a mic input so you could compensate for you room acoustics etc.

Keep an eye out on eBay they sell for about £75ish I think.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts