Can You Get HD Audio Out Of The PS3?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI,

I have a lots on blu-ray dvd's that i play on my ps3, I have a denon avr 1909 surround sound amp that can decode hd audio. My question is can the ps3 put out hd audio because on my amps display is all ever says multi channel in? If I put a normal dvd in my dvd player it will come up as dolby digital, dts etc... I've looked in my amp's manual and if does say it display dobly ture hd and dts hd. Does anyone have the same problem or knows if the ps3 can put out hd audio? Or do I need a sperate blu-ray player?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm far from an expert on the PS3, having never owned one, but I do know that you DO get HD audio from the PS3, but something to do with the way it's sent means you don't get the HD codec 'flags' on your amp.

Hopefully someone with an all encompassing knowledge of the PS3 will be able to fill the gaps in for you.

A

Anonymous

It's a common enough question on these forums that I think even I now know the answer. Your PS3 will take the HD audio from your disc and decode it internally, before sending the audio to your receiver. The receiver will not show an HD sound track because your PS3 has already decoded it, doing the same work that your amp would do otherwise. So you are getting HD sound even though it doesn't say that on your receiver.

If you were to use a standalone blu ray player, most of those can output the HD audio in it's raw format (which is what the PS3 can't do) and you may arguably get better sound if your receiver can decode the sound better than the PS3 can.

A

Anonymous

Hey big chris

thanks for your replay, so basically your saying I am getting hd audio but the ps3 doesnt make the amp show on its display?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for ue reply alwatson.. is there any way you can make th ps3 not decode it?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
As alwatson has said, PS3 decodes onboard so if you are getting Multichannel on the amp, this is probably correct. To make sure, just press the Select button when you are watching a film and it will display in the top right hand corner what it's decoding.

The PS3 is unable to bitstream the HD audio so this is the best you'll get (which is still very good).

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Movie Man:Thanks for ue reply alwatson.. is there any way you can make th ps3 not decode it?

No the PS3 can't do that unfortunately. Whether it ever will or not I'm not sure, they do release some decent software updates for the Ps3. You'd need a standalone blu ray player if you wanted to do things that way round. To be honest though I've never read that the PS3's audio decoding is that bad, so it might not be a huge issue. If you could borrow a blu ray player from somebody you should test it out for yourself and see if you notice any difference. I only use a stereo amp with my PS3 though so can't personally comment on that.

Thanks for the info!! So I don't really need a separate blu-ray player. Yes, I know that standalone blu-ray players are better, but the situation is not desperate. I can wait for a year or so, for better and cheaper blu-ray players to arrive.

professorhat:

As alwatson has said, PS3 decodes onboard so if you are getting Multichannel on the amp, this is probably correct. To make sure, just press the Select button when you are watching a film and it will display in the top right hand corner what it's decoding.

The PS3 is unable to bitstream the HD audio so this is the best you'll get (which is still very good).

I don't understand this. So you mean that the PS3 can decode HD audio, but can't bitstream it??

My PS3 box shows Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio logos. What does this mean then?

A

Anonymous

bigboss:professorhat:

I don't understand this. So you mean that the PS3 can decode HD audio, but can't bitstream it??

My PS3 box shows Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio logos. What does this mean then?

All this means is that the PS3 can read your HD audio formats and decode them, then send them out ready decoded for your amp. What the PS3 is not able to do is read the HD audio formats and just send them to your amp exactly as they are on the disc so your amp can decode them.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Bitstreaming is the process where the Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio signals are sent out undecoded for a suitable amplifier to decode. The logos are on the box because the PS3 can decode them onboard and this is what it's doing if you have the setting set on Linear PCM within the BD / DVD settings.

EDIT - lol, co-ordinated responses!

A

Anonymous

Make sure though that you change your PS3 setting from bitstream and like mentioned earlier if you bring up the onscreen menu it will say HD audio.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:

Bitstreaming is the process where the Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio signals are sent out undecoded for a suitable amplifier to decode. The logos are on the box because the PS3 can decode them onboard and this is what it's doing if you have the setting set on Linear PCM within the BD / DVD settings.

EDIT - lol, co-ordinated responses!

Ha, although we all know everybody will take your post more seriously, what with your 5000+ posts and misleading 'professor' name.

Thankd for the quick replies!! Yes, there are many simultaneous posts in this thread!

From what I have understood so far, PS3 decodes all audio "in-house" and doesn't bitstream it to the receiver. As long as the output is HD, it shouldn't really matter as to who decodes it, right? Or is there a difference?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
alwatson:Ha, although we all know everybody will take your post more seriously, what with your 5000+ posts and misleading 'professor' name.

The cheek of it! I take my study of hats very seriously
emotion-13.gif

bigboss:As long as the output is HD, it shouldn't really matter as to who decodes it, right? Or is there a difference?

In theory, there shouldn't be any difference where the signal is decoded though some people have said they have found one device better than another. Since the PS3 doesn't let you bitstream the signal for decoding elsewhere (and from what I remember it's a hardware limitation so it will never be able to), it really isn't worth worrying about too much as no one will ever know if their amp is better than it or not.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The end result is the same, the only differences would be the quality of components used (ie. The Arcam AVR600 is probably gonna decode the audio better than the PS3 (if it were able to send the 'raw data'.) No real surprise when you factor in the price difference)

A

Anonymous

hi to u all im new to the forum. got a small question about ps3, onkyo 606 and dts hd masteraudio?

im 99 % sure im getting hd audio, ps3 set to lpcm (when i press select on ps3 remote it says dts hd ma) , slected dts hd ma on the blueray, amp shows pcm multichanel hdmi but the listning mode that automaticly comes up is dts neo 6! i only have a 5.1 setup! is this correct ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
benny52:the listning mode that automaticly comes up is dts neo 6! i only have a 5.1 setup! is this correct ?

I know on the Onkyos you get listening mode presets - it's worth checking what this is set for when you are on your PS3 input for Analog / PCM. If this is set to automatically go to DTS Neo when it receives this, it would explain it. I have mine set to Last Valid (this is on a 905, so I'm assuming the 606 has a similar option).

ÿ

mgillespie05

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
yes you can get full hd sound from your ps3 all 7.1 channels if you like it just doesnt show on you amp/reciever, but if you press the display for your PS3 youl see what is being decoded. NOTE .... you have to use optical for sound and hdmi for picture as hdmi doesnt carry hd audio on the PS3 ..hope this helps

A

Anonymous

mgillespie05:yes you can get full hd sound from your ps3 all 7.1 channels if you like it just doesnt show on you amp/reciever, but if you press the display for your PS3 youl see what is being decoded. NOTE .... you have to use optical for sound and hdmi for picture as hdmi doesnt carry hd audio on the PS3 ..hope this helps

you are wrong...

it is optical that doesn't carry hd audio... hdmi is for picture and hd audio...

A

Anonymous

I thought that we can only get HD audio ( DTS MA or Dolby True HD) from multichannel analog out of our BD player if our Av receiver does not have onboard decoding i.e Onkyo 506. In this case, PS3 does not have that multichannel out. Do you think that we get it by just transmintting through either optical or Coax ( PS3 dun have this - only got coax out)? Answer is No...rite? Am I correct if I am saying that if we have either Sony Bd 550 or pana Bd 55 ( which both have multichannel analog out) to any av receiver that cannot decode HD audio - then only we can enjoy HD audio.....Am I rite experts out there? Thanks!!I am still learning guys!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, basically there are currently a few ways of enjoying all the main HD audio formats (e.g. DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD):

1. If you have a AV receiver which can decode all the formats and also has an HDMI which can accept this audio from the Blu-Ray player - obviously any AV receiver which can decode the formats will have an HDMI port capable of this.

2. If you have a Blu-Ray player which can decode all the formats onboard and output them via the HDMI port to an AV receiver capable of receiving multichannel PCM via an HDMI input (PS3 falls into this category).

3. If you have a Blu-Ray player which can decode all the formats onboard and output them via analogueÿmultichannelÿoutputs to an AV receiver with analogue multichannel inputs.

Obviously some Blu-Ray players and AV receivers give you an option of using one of the above, but you need to be able to do it one of these ways to get HD audio. Whatever happens, you cannot transfer the new HD audio formats via digital optical or coaxial connections as they don't have the sufficient bandwidth to carry them.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts