Can you damage a cable by plugging it into the wrong socket?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
Hi Krlock, sorry to hear about your tribulations.

I can't add to the good advice that you've been given, but I can comment on Cardas.

I'm a big advocate of their cables which are very musical sounding (especially Golden Cross), and a good antidote for the "glare" that can come from digital music.
You should find them very helpful, and the person that answered my questions was Brian Von Bork. Even George and Colleen Cardas are more than happy to help.

By the way, which ones did you go for, and was it after a demo. I would be interested in how they sound once all has been sorted.

Cno
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hi cnoevil,

Thanks for your comment! For interconnects I was demoing for some days between Cardas clear light and Tara Labs RSC prime. The cardas were twice the price but three times as good to my ears, so I bought the Cardas. The tara labs sounded flat in comparison.

For loudspeaker cable last night I spent the whole evening making the same test between Cardas clear light and again tara labs. Here it is much more of a struggle to decide. I swapped out the cables about four or five times and still couldnt make a decision. In this case the cardas are 2.5x the price of the tara labs, but I thought that sometimes they were about a third better and sometimes I even preferred the sound of the Tara Labs. I suppose I could say that the Cardas produced a smoother and subtle sound overall, while the Tara had a more pronounced mid range.

So thats a tricky decision which I have still not made. But gut instinct says I will probably get the Cardas. Why? Because the interconnects were awesome, so maybe im still missing something with the speaker cables. Im guessing that the synergy with the interconnects will not hurt either.

Yep, it was Brian who responded and he seemed like a helpful chap indeed.

@quenzer: yep I know you are no fan of Cyrus from your previous posts where you were unhappy with them but I do not want to debate their customer service in this thread, I was happy with their response so thats that.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
krlock3 said:
Hi cnoevil,

Thanks for your comment! For interconnects I was demoing for some days between Cardas clear light and Tara Labs RSC prime. The cardas were twice the price but three times as good to my ears, so I bought the Cardas. The tara labs sounded flat in comparison.

For loudspeaker cable last night I spent the whole evening making the same test between Cardas clear light and again tara labs. Here it is much more of a struggle to decide. I swapped out the cables about four or five times and still couldnt make a decision. In this case the cardas are 2.5x the price of the tara labs, but I thought that sometimes they were about a third better and sometimes I even preferred the sound of the Tara Labs. I suppose I could say that the Cardas produced a smoother and subtle sound overall, while the Tara had a more pronounced mid range.

So thats a tricky decision which I have still not made. But gut instinct says I will probably get the Cardas. Why? Because the interconnects were awesome, so maybe im still missing something with the speaker cables. Im guessing that the synergy with the interconnects will not hurt either.

Yep, it was Brian who responded and he seemed like a helpful chap indeed.

@quenzer: yep I know you are no fan of Cyrus from your previous posts where you were unhappy with them but I do not want to debate their customer service in this thread, I was happy with their response so thats that.
The Cardas Clear are indeed rememarkable cables, and would be my choice....did you consider/try the Golden Reference?

Cno
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
No I didnt try them. Actually mine are Clear light, not clear.... I think this is one step below Clear.

Golden reference are one step below Clear light, is that right?
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
krlock3 said:
No I didnt try them. Actually mine are Clear light, not clear.... I think this is one step below Clear.

Golden reference are one step below Clear light, is that right?
The Clear Light is a fairly new cable, and I think it might be below the Golden Reference. The Golden Cross is slightly below the GR and the CL may be below that: http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/interconnect_cable.

I was initially confused about this until you asked the question (I checked it out).
One other cable in the range that I think would work well with Cyrus, is the Cardas Cross....a little cheaper than the CL and might be worth a demo....even if you only use it for the S/Cs, with the CL for the I/C.

Check with your dealer, or Brian at Cardas, for further advice.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
A shame that I do not hear the kind of improvements with the speaker cable that i heard with the interconnects though. Real tricky decision here.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
krlock3 said:
A shame that I do not hear the kind of improvements with the speaker cable that i heard with the interconnects though. Real tricky decision here.
That's exactly why I suggested the Cardas Cross for speaker cable.....keep the "Cardas sound", and save a little money.

Whatever you go with, let us know how you get on.

Cno
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts