Can you combine Hi - FI with home cinema?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm totally new to home cinema although I bought a budget ARCAM HI FI about 10 years ago (CD 62 Cd and A85 amp with KEF Q series floorstanders).

I love the HI - FI but can now invest in a reasonable home cinema.

Is there a home cinema system I can move to that will also allow me to play music cd's at a reasonable standard?

Budget 4-6K

Grateful for any thoughts

John Duncan

With 4k I'd buy this:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/cambridge-audio-751bd

first. I have one in the house. It's a great CD player, but does so much more.

With 4k, I'd be listening to this

http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-rx-v1067

and something like these

http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-silver-rx6-av12

or these

http://www.whathifi.com/review/tannoy-revolution-signature

With the whole six grand, I might stick with the Yam, or a bigger brother, or stretch to an Arcam (though be mindful of software glitches), but would absolutely have these

http://www.whathifi.com/review/pmc-db1i-51

I might forego the sub if budget was absolute...

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
You certainly can. PMC and ARCAM phenomenal.
Consider Monitor Audio Apex (dont necessarily use the Monitor Audio sub) with the Arcam AVR 500 or 600 if space is an issue.
Oppo 95 as a source for all of your audio and movies.
Please don't listen to people who say you can't combine the two as this is just not true.
Demo demo and demo.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
This is one of those questions that could be answered with yes or no. It's really down to the individual's expectations and requirements. Define 'reasonable'...

You should be able to find something good enough with your budget :)

A

Anonymous

For that money, I'd go for a Primare SP32 av processor and A30.5 or A30.7 power amp. Wouldn't leave much budget for speakers mind... :doh: Still the Primare processors are well known for having a very clean pre amp section, that won't dirty your stereo music.

Maybe wait for the new Audiolab 8200AP processor and 8200X7 power amp. That'd leave you about £3k for speakers, maybe go for Kef's or B&W's all round, then pick up a BK Monolith sub for ~£500.

A

Anonymous

Dali Ikon mk 2 5.1 speakers

Yamaha 3067

Any BDP you like and use the DAC in the Yamaha.

My two pence. For my mind, the speakers are the most important part of the system.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with David, what is your idea of something resonable? If you want the purity sound that a Hi-Fi setup with give you replicated in an AV setup, then you are not going to get there. Dont get me wrong you will get very sound for your budget, but not as good. There was an article on how to add an AMP to an AV setup on whathifi with a video tutorial. Of course it would involve you physically getting up and unplugging wires etc, perhaps something to consider later on.

Now if an AV is a must, then look no further than the Arcam range the AVR 500 is incredible and is slashed to good price at the moment. If you can stretch go for the AVR600. This is as good as you are going to get for Music in the AV field! It performs very well and being Arcam they know how to make it sing (forgive the pun). Its also no slouch on Movies either!

Hope that helps

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
You can get great kit for that amount of money but the only way you are going to tell if AV kit gives a good enough experience for you is to try some 4-6k pure audio kits and some 4-6k AV kits and see. If I had 4-6k to spend on kit it wouldn't go on AV kit. I know I would enjoy music on alot of AV setups at that price. However I'd be happier with what I can do with that sort of money on hi-fi.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
duaplex said:
I have to agree with David, what is your idea of something resonable? If you want the purity sound that a Hi-Fi setup with give you replicated in an AV setup, then you are not going to get there. Dont get me wrong you will get very sound for your budget, but not as good. There was an article on how to add an AMP to an AV setup on whathifi with a video tutorial. Of course it would involve you physically getting up and unplugging wires etc, perhaps something to consider later on.

Now if an AV is a must, then look no further than the Arcam range the AVR 500 is incredible and is slashed to good price at the moment. If you can stretch go for the AVR600. This is as good as you are going to get for Music in the AV field! It performs very well and being Arcam they know how to make it sing (forgive the pun). Its also no slouch on Movies either!

Hope that helps

Very fair assessment. When I was looking to find a 2 channel amp to better the AVR 600 (biamped to L&R) for music, it saw off some serious hifi amps.....for my taste anyway. It took a remarkable Class A amp to move the sound up to another level. IMO. It is better for playing 2 channel music (stereo direct), than it has any right to be.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for everyones advice

What I've taken from it is:

Demo any kit!

Compare systems and performance in the shop. I'm probably tending towards leaving the HI - FI and home cinema separate but we'll see.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I agree with DC in that for a given budget, you can always achieve a better sound with 2 channel....... and you can still get good enjoyment from films by adding a sub (2.1).

If you want to enjoy the full AV experience as well, you have 3 options:

- Totally seperate systems in different rooms, which is the ideal, but has a duplicification of resources and takes up 2 rooms (obviously).
- A musical AV amp (like the Arcam), which gives a good account of itself for both, and has the simplicity of only being one box.
- Buy a budget AV amp with pre-outs + Stereo amp of your choice (provides Front L&R for AV, and works normally for 2 channel). This is often a good choice where music is much more important than AV. The downside is that: AV will be compromised due to the budget AV amp; there could be a slight mismatch of tone between the Centre and the L&R; and there is a bit more faff setting up and using (especially if the stereo amp doesn't have HT by-pass).

IMO The two Arcam amps are so good for 2 channel, that they meet the needs of most people.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
snivilisationism said:
For my mind, the speakers are the most important part of the system.

You can buy the most expensive speakers you like, but it'll be a waste of money unless you have the right amplification driving them.

Precisely why I suggested the excellent 3067, rather than a super-budget design. It's the spending silly amounts on a BDP that puzzles me these days.

TRENDING THREADS