Can you Bi-Amp a yamaha AS-500?

Hugh.hanson

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

im thinking of upgrading my BX2s to a pair of Q acoustics 2050is, however the 2050i are rated at 150w and my amp is 85w x 2. Could i bi-amp the as-500 if i hit the switch to run A&B speakers?

cheers

Hugh

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
No, you will risk damaging the speakers if you use both A+B for the same speaker. The speakers are rated at 150w means they can handle 150 watts continously an amplifier rated at 85 watts will drive them fine since they are quite efficient speakers.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
No, you can't.

You can biwire, but not biamp.

The A/B speaker terminals are fed by exactly the same circuit board- you can use both sets if you wish, one set to the treble drivers, the other to the bass. This does not affect impedance as the amp still sees the same load, it just makes the wiring less fiddly.

Many people 'common' two runs of cable to the same set of amp terminals, obviously split to bass/treble terminals at the speakers, but it shouldn't make any difference, in theory...

EDIT And ignore the Wattage ratings. The amp will have no problem with the speakers whatsoever. It's unlikely you'll ever need the full 85Wpc, your ears/neighbours/missus/windows will have exploded by that point!

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hugh.hanson said:
Hi,

im thinking of upgrading my BX2s to a pair of Q acoustics 2050is, however the 2050i are rated at 150w and my amp is 85w x 2. Could i bi-amp the as-500 if i hit the switch to run A&B speakers?

cheers

Hugh

First , not sure that upgrading your BX2 to Q acoustics 2050is will give you better results please check it carefully before buying .

Second , you can bi-amp your speakers if you buy another AS-500 ... you don't need it on this level price of speakers .

Hugh.hanson

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
ok thanks for the help peeps was just checking.

ISAC69 said:
First , not sure that upgrading your BX2 to Q acoustics 2050is will give you better results please check it carefully before buying .

Yer i will check them out before buying them, are there any others you suggest? My BX2s sound really nice at lower volumes but i start to stuggle to keep them under control at high volumes as they start to sound pretty bright.

So i was looking to for a set of floorstanders that have more of a warming sound to them.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
[/quote]

Second , you can bi-amp your speakers if you buy another AS-500 ... you don't need it on this level price of speakers .

[/quote]

Yes, you COULD... However, the AS500 does not have pre-outs, so you'd have to use tape-outs (fixed level) and adjust both volume controls in unison to get the correct balance. This is obviously not ideal, and having two integrated amps on your rack would look a bit daft...

Biamping is best kept for dedicated amps that are designed to offer the feature- for example, my Rotel integrated has preouts to feed my RB03 power amp- I biamped until I changed to single-wire speakers.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
And the 2050is would almost certainly make for a 'bigger' sound. On of the main criticisms I hear of the BX2s is that they can be a little brash and fatiguing to listen to in certain systems. I owned a pair briefly- kept them about 6 weeks and sold them as they did nothing for me at all.

2050is are great speakers, don't think you'd go far wrong with them, as long as you have the space- big speakers in small rooms is not a great combo!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

[/quote]

Yes, you COULD... However, the AS500 does not have pre-outs, so you'd have to use tape-outs (fixed level) and adjust both volume controls in unison to get the correct balance. This is obviously not ideal, and having two integrated amps on your rack would look a bit daft...

Biamping is best kept for dedicated amps that are designed to offer the feature- for example, my Rotel integrated has preouts to feed my RB03 power amp- I biamped until I changed to single-wire speakers.

[/quote]

Being perverse, as I often am, you could use one AS 500 per channel, 'horizontal' bi-ampling rather than the more normal method. The volume control on each amplifier then would work each speaker, ie individual volume for each channel rather than the normal volume and balance.

I do remember trying out such a setup aeons ago, but for the life of me I can not remember why I would have bothered....... :?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts