Question Can upscaling a disc ever lookas good as playing it back at its native resolution?

Corpus_Chain

Jan 15, 2024
Here's a question for those with the experience to know the answer:
Can upscaling a disc ever look as good as playing it back at its native resolution?

e.g. if you play back a DVD or 1080p blu-ray on a cheap 2160p screen, either via an upscaling 4K blu-ray player or by using the TV's upscaling, you will notice some artifacts of upscaling, such as blurred background characters, fuzzy edges, unnatural-looking skin, but you won't get this if you, for example, play a 1080p blu-ray back on a 1080p screen.

But... if you spend a lot of money on a top 4K blu-ray player or a top screen, can you get really good results from upscaling, such that you won't be noticing the aforementioned artifacts?

Note: I'm not asking for advice on what to buy: I'm just asking a theoretical question to try and understand the technology better.

EDIT: Just an additional side question: is there a 4K blu-ray player that will display DVDs with black bars at top and bottom rather than upscaling it?

Last edited:
But... if you spend a lot of money on a top 4K blu-ray player or a top screen, can you get really good results from upscaling, such that you won't be noticing the aforementioned artifacts?
I can honestly say I only notice the occasional thing, and these tend to be from older DVDs. newer DVDs and blu rays - can't think of a single thing that I have noticed in the last three years with a good 4k set - and I am an attentive viewer. As to the whys and wherefores, I've no idea and couldn't really care less - if it works well that's surely all that matters.

Reactions: DougK1

Corpus_Chain

Jan 15, 2024
I can honestly say I only notice the occasional thing, and these tend to be from older DVDs. newer DVDs and blu rays - can't think of a single thing that I have noticed in the last three years with a good 4k set - and I am an attentive viewer. As to the whys and wherefores, I've no idea and couldn't really care less - if it works well that's surely all that matters.
Thanks. I see you have an Oppo blu-ray player. I've heard good things about them. Which model do you have?

EDIT: Just an additional side question: is there a 4K blu-ray player that will display DVDs with black bars at top and bottom rather than upscaling it?
My understanding is that if it didn't upscale, the part of the screen used would only be minimal in terms of both height and width - upscaling expands the image in both directions. Even blu ray would only fill a quarter of the screen (half the height, half the width) - so DVD without upscaling would be miniscule.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Here's a question for those with the experience to know the answer:
Can upscaling a disc ever look as good as playing it back at its native resolution?
It can look way better. My chain is:
Rip DVD to Plex Server >> Apple TV 4K >> Epson 9400 projector >> 106 inch screen

The upscaled DVDs look much better than their native. There are technical reasons for this such as the upscaling happens in a better colour space, bicubic resize is surprisingly good at uncovering detail, etc. Plus the people who code the upscalers are professionals at guaging what works best across the board.

The end result on my system is DVDs are very immersive. Far beyond what they would be in native.

Corpus_Chain

Jan 15, 2024
It can look way better. My chain is:
Rip DVD to Plex Server >> Apple TV 4K >> Epson 9400 projector >> 106 inch screen

The upscaled DVDs look much better than their native. There are technical reasons for this such as the upscaling happens in a better colour space, bicubic resize is surprisingly good at uncovering detail, etc. Plus the people who code the upscalers are professionals at guaging what works best across the board.

The end result on my system is DVDs are very immersive. Far beyond what they would be in native.
Hmm intersting. How do you know they look better than in native resolution though? Does the projector allow you to output to the screen at 576p?

Corpus_Chain

Jan 15, 2024
My understanding is that if it didn't upscale, the part of the screen used would only be minimal in terms of both height and width - upscaling expands the image in both directions. Even blu ray would only fill a quarter of the screen (half the height, half the width) - so DVD without upscaling would be miniscule.
Yes, true. But I'm curious. Presumably such a player would also allow something inbetween full upscaling and native resolution, and perhaps upscale it to 2 or 3 times the resolution instead of 8 times.

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Hmm intersting. How do you know they look better than in native resolution though? Does the projector allow you to output to the screen at 576p?
Yes, also have a PC hooked up and can watch them in native. Just tried it on a couple of movies and they don't look as good in native res.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts