can sonos pass a 24/96 stream through to an offboard dac

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
All,

I realise that sonos doesn't natively support for 24/96 ('high def'/'master'/whatever) files. However, while surfing around i saw references that the old ZP80 woulds pass the unaltered bitstream through to the optical output if the volume control was fixed. Does anyone know if that's also true for the ZP90? I'm hoping somebody out there has a DAC that indicates the input quality and can confirm/deny.

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I've never heard that to be the case, from recollection Sonos will just flag the file as being the wrong format and ignore it. I seriously doubt that story about the ZP80 to be honest.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
ZP90 doesn't support anything over 16bit and/or 48khz. As the_lhc says it just says it can't play the file.

There is supposed a Sonos new product announcement some time soon, WHF had a news story where Sonos basically (annoyingly and slightly Applesquely) said "hey everyone we've got something new coming out this year, but we're going to leave you to speculate about what it is". I'm not sure whether to hope it's something that supports video streaming, or perhaps an audiophile/high-res-compatible music streamer...

TRENDING THREADS