Can Sky HD 1080i Signal Be Upscaled To 1080p Via HDMI?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I was wondering if Sky HD 1080i signal can be upscaled into a 1080p signal via a receiver but through HDMI (I have read it can't but then some magazines imply it can!).

If it can, can someone let me know which receivers can do this.

Many thanks,

Stuart

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
This isn't actually upscaling since the resolution is already at 1080 - it's actually deinterlacing the signal i.e. changing it from an interlaced (i) signal to a progressive signal (p). Any Full HD TV will be able to do this, probably better than a receiver could, so I wouldn't worry about this too much personally - much better to concentrate on more important aspects such as sound quality, HD audio etc. when deciding on a receiver than this little feature IMHO.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply, makes sense, I am sure you can tell that I am a complete novice with this!

Can you please answer one last question. When it comes to projecting surround sound with Sky HD, do I just pass the signal through the receiver via one HDMI lead or is more than one required? I trust this answer would also be the same for a Blu Ray player too?

Many thanks again!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No probs at all!

With Sky HD, you will actually need both an HDMI lead and an optical lead going to the receiver because Sky has a limitation built into it meaning only stereo sound is sent via the HDMI lead. So to get 5.1 surround sound from the channels which broacast this, you need to connect up via optical (or digital coaxial depending on which Sky box you have) to the receiver and tell Sky to output via this. You also need to tell the receiver that picture is being received from the HDMI cable and audio from the digital optical / coaxial (NB - some Sony receivers had trouble with this at the beginning, but firmware upgrades have sorted this so any new receiver you get should be fine).

This is the exception rather than the rule though, so with a Blu-Ray player, so long as you have an amp which can accept audio via the HDMI socket, you only require the HDMI lead for these.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all this valuable advice! I think I have everything I need to know!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts