Can poor quality vinyl damage stylus?

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks now that I have my rpm5 I'm delighted but reluctant to run out and buy lots of secondhand records. My question is if I buy dusty or grimey secondhand vinyl will I damage or shorten the lifespan of the stylus? Second question is around the ortofhon alpha cartridge. Is it pretty decent? It's early days but I think I can notice an improvement over the rega rp1 I had before. One final question. I'm connecting the tt to my denon 3310 and using the stereo mode. Is that the best or should I be using direct mode? Cheers mick

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ive not used a tt for 20 od years but if you make sure your vinyl is clean you should be ok some of my vinyl is from the 60s and if I had a tt I would have no problem using it as long as you keep it clean you should be ok:) :) :) :) :)

Not a good idea. Did you buy a turntable without actually owning any vinyl?

If you do buy second hand the dusty / grimey bit will not affect your stylus only your listening pleasure.

Again I am not at all sure how it is going to sound played through the Denon. Does it actually have a MM input?

The cartridge is basic and on a par with the ortofon 3M red.

I'am not sure exactly what sound quality yo expect to hear by attaching a turntable through this AV amp but its not going to be good.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I should have explained a bit better. Last year I had a Rega RP1 and loved it. I started by buying some new vinly from Tower Records and amazon and some cheaper stuff second hand from private sellers and secondhand shops etc, What i used to find with the older stuff was that a fair bit of dust would accumulate on the stylus and i'd brush it off with a fine makeup brush stolen from my wife. Anyway I had to sell the Rega and vinyl to raise some cash and ever since I've been pinning after it. So now I'm back to square one. I had my eyes on a Project Debut Carbon for christmas but spotted the RPM5 on a local classified site and couldnt resist. I think I did ok - for less than the price of a new carbon I got the RPM5 with a beatles record kindly thrown in and a pair of phono cables.

I suppose I was impressed with the setup the guy had when I went to buy the RPM5. He had all his vinly mint and it really looked after it. I kinda want to aspire to the way he had his vinyl and build up a nice collect. Plus I dont have the money now to rush out and buy a load of records. Im hoping to pick up maybe one a month, probably secondhand at first and then take it from there.

I'm really happy that I have a quality turntable back in the house, now i just need to be patient and take my time getting some nice records.

Cheers,

Mick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts