Can Oppo 105 play stuff like Dark Side of the Moon nonstop?

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi chebby,

Thanks for compliments about my English :).

I have +90% of my albums in flac - no cue, number of files in the album folder is equal to no. of tracks. Shall I hear a pause in e.g. PF's Dark Side???

Thanks!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ok I understand now!

You mean 'gapless' playback. (Not 'non-stop'.)

Please excuse my poor sense of humour. Your title sounded like you wanted to play 'Dark Side of The Moon' over and over again, without ever stopping :)

Sorry.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
No, your sense of humor was really nice for me:).

You know I'm from Russia. There are only white bears, vodka and me, wanting to hear Pink Floyd for ever :)

So, what about gapless playback in the Oppo 105 :)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Now then chaloff,a man shirley after my own heart:)

Do you self a favour,get DSOTM on SACD....you will want to listen to this mix over and over,for ever and ever!

...as for gapless streaming i'm not sure,will find out tomorow if no one else chips in.

Vlosvidania :cheers:

I canot find it stated anywhere, and I have read a number of reviews and forum posts about this amazing machine. I can only say, I cannot believe it wouldn't play gaplessly, given the attention the design has clearly had and the top grade components.

Great question, though, as it is still astonising the gear that cannot. In my view anything that cannot should get 1 star by default! Marantz NA-7004, for example, which is otherwise pretty good.

Hi,

Can I suggest if this was re-posted in the 'Blu-ray Players' forum it might get more response.

I wonder if Chebby or nopiano could explain here exactly what 'gapless playback' is as I am having trouble getting my head around it (must be age!).

If I know exactly what the OP is after I could check it out as I have said Oppo networked to my NAS drive / computer both wirelessly and via powerline adaptors. I also have music stored in many different formats so could experiment if I know exactly what the OP is requiring it to do. :)

Hi Alears

A good narrative is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapless_playback

In my terms (and the OP's, i think) it means an album where the 'tracks' play continously, like DSOTM, and many live recordings, operas, etc, are not atificially silenced for a few seconds by the playback machine from track to track. It only seems to happen with streaming.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:
I wonder if Chebby or nopiano could explain here exactly what 'gapless playback' is as I am having trouble getting my head around it (must be age!).

On a classical CD you frequently get very long sections of music (like movements in a symphony) but it will be 'chunked' into lots of tracks (like index points) despite being a continuous piece.

Gapless playback will play it back as a continuous piece (as it should be) but if the software doesn't allow gapless playback, then you get brief intervals of silence where they shouldn't be.

The same will happen with live concert recordings (any genre) or very long tracks on 'concept' albums or things like BBC radio drama/documentary/comedy CDs that have continuous dialogue but - without gapless playback - end up a complete nonsense because of all the silent intervals between arbitrarily imposed 'tracks' (or index points) on the original CD that was ripped.

Luckily I love using AirPlay and I have all my music, drama, comedy, documentary CDs ripped to iTunes.

iTunes settings allow me to change the relevant CD rips to gapless and AirPlay allows me to play them back as such.

However, If they were all in FLAC, for instance, and I streamed from a NAS, then this would not be possible with my system.

Thanks Chebby / nopiano.

So am I right in thinking these 'index points' are only products of a ripped CD? What happens if the same piece is downloaded from the likes of the Bowers & Wilkins (or any other for that matter) download sites. Do they still appear if you stream a downloaded file?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Chaloff said:
No, your sense of humor was really nice for me:).

You know I'm from Russia. There are only white bears, vodka and me, wanting to hear Pink Floyd for ever :)

So, what about gapless playback in the Oppo 105 :)

Thought you would be playing something like Mari Boine out in the Russian sticks.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Alears said:
Thanks Chebby / nopiano.

So am I right in thinking these 'index points' are only products of a ripped CD? What happens if the same piece is downloaded from the likes of the Bowers & Wilkins (or any other for that matter) download sites. Do they still appear if you stream a downloaded file?

You're getting the wrong end of the stick, possibly. Think of any CD in your collection where two-or-more tracks play one after the other without a break in the audio. To play them as intended as one continuous piece you need something which will play the CD 'gaplessly'. All CD players can do this by default, and have done since day one, but with other devices (and some computer-software players) it's a bit hit-n-miss, and the manufacturers aren't always clear about it in their literature either. So if you rip - or download - an album where one or more tracks are supposed to play without gap and either your device or its software can't play gaplessly, you'll get an unnatural break between the tracks as it finishes one track and starts the next.

MajorFubar said:
Alears said:
Thanks Chebby / nopiano.

You're getting the wrong end of the stick, possibly. Think of any CD in your collection where two-or-more tracks play one after the other without a break in the audio. To play them as intended as one continuous piece you need something which will play the CD 'gaplessly'. All CD players can do this by default, and have done since day one, but with other devices (and some computer-software players) it's a bit hit-n-miss, and the manufacturers aren't always clear about it in their literature either.

MajorFubar, maybe I'm not wording it correctly.

Lets go back to the OP's original question. If I play a CD of DSOTM in the Oppo it will playback 'gaplessly', if I then rip that CD to a flac file and play it back via computer / NAS drive then will it play back gaplessly or be affected by Playback Latency, and not do so, is what the OP is asking.

I'll have to check when I get home and have opportunity.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Alears said:
MajorFubar said:
Alears said:
Thanks Chebby / nopiano.

You're getting the wrong end of the stick, possibly. Think of any CD in your collection where two-or-more tracks play one after the other without a break in the audio. To play them as intended as one continuous piece you need something which will play the CD 'gaplessly'. All CD players can do this by default, and have done since day one, but with other devices (and some computer-software players) it's a bit hit-n-miss, and the manufacturers aren't always clear about it in their literature either.

MajorFubar, maybe I'm not wording it correctly.

Lets go back to the OP's original question. If I play a CD of DSOTM in the Oppo it will playback 'gaplessly', if I then rip that CD to a flac file and play it back via computer / NAS drive then will it play back gaplessly or be affected by Playback Latency, and not do so, is what the OP is asking.

But are his flac files from cd?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Alears said:
MajorFubar, maybe I'm not wording it correctly. Lets go back to the OP's original question. If I play a CD of DSOTM in the Oppo it will playback 'gaplessly', if I then rip that CD to a flac file and play it back via computer / NAS drive then will it play back gaplessly or be affected by Playback Latency, and not do so, is what the OP is asking. I'll have to check when I get home and have opportunity.

Sorry Allears I thought you didn't know what gapless playback meant, in general. Sadly I don't have an answer to the O/P's question.

The difference between rips/downloads and CDs is that CDs containing gapless tracks are burned 'disc at once', where the whole audio file (or parts of it) are cut as a continuous stream of digital audio with track-markers in it. With rips and downloads, each track is its own separate file. Some players/software can join them seamlessly and some can't.

MajorFubar said:
Alears said:
MajorFubar, maybe I'm not wording it correctly. Lets go back to the OP's original question. If I play a CD of DSOTM in the Oppo it will playback 'gaplessly', if I then rip that CD to a flac file and play it back via computer / NAS drive then will it play back gaplessly or be affected by Playback Latency, and not do so, is what the OP is asking. I'll have to check when I get home and have opportunity.
Sorry Allears I thought you didn't know what gapless playback meant, in general. Sadly I don't have an answer to the O/P's question. The difference between rips/downloads and CDs is that CDs containing gapless tracks are burned 'disc at once', where the whole audio file (or parts of it) are cut as a continuous stream of digital audio with track-masters in it. With rips and downloads, each track is its own separate file. Some players/software can join them seamlessly and some can't.

MajorFubar, I wasn't sure what gapless meant exactly but I've since become partially educated.

All I know is that when I download a classical album from B&W it comes as a single flac file. If this classical piece is made up of several 'interludes' that are meant to playback gaplessly then on my pocketable device I hear a feint 'click' between interludes. There is no silence as such. Maybe this is just the way my particular player responds to Playback Latency, I don't know.

I have, at present, not tried to play this flac file back through my Oppo yet so do not know what that will make of it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Alears said:
All I know is that when I download a classical album from B&W it comes as a single flac file.

Are you sure? Whenever I've downloaded from the B&W SoS it comes down as a single zip file, but this unzips into a folder of FLAC files – one for each track – plus pdf liner notes and a jpg cover-shot

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The answer to the OP'S question i'm not sure if it does,in flac.....not on my rips anyways,but that could be how they were ripped :?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Am proud owner of oppo 105.. It has played everything I put through it.. And the sound is very clean without sounding clinycal. The pictures are as good as it gets.. I would recommend it to anyone. Not one single regret.. ever thing just works & with the very best performance to boot.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks indeed to all. Frankly speaking I am surprised that it' hard to find the answer. OPPO players are known as hi-fi transport. I had been sure my question would be one of the easiest.

I think now everybody understands what gaples is (including me :) )
Alears said:

Sorry not to respond to all. I am on the trip and hate type on my tablet PC :mad:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts