CAN OLD OR SECOND HAND VINYL BE DAMAGING TO YOUR SYSTEM ?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
YEAH THANKS PP I HAD A FEELING THE STYLUS WOULD BE AN ISSUE THOUGH DID THINK THE SPEAKER THING WAS A BIT FAR FETCHED.....I SAW YOUR POST ON THE RISING SALES FIGURES ON VINYL ....IT REALLY IS GOOD NEWS

Always remember one of my school mates had a quite an expensive (for the time) record player in his bedroom and when a record came to the 'run out' he always turned the volume right down. When I asked him why he just said "I don't want to blow the speakers up". There was no truth behind the theory, though.

Apologies for the little anecdote. :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Always remember one of my school mates had a quite an expensive (for the time) record player in his bedroom and when a record came to the 'run out' he always turned the volume right down. When I asked him why he just said "I don't want to blow the speakers up". There was no truth behind the theory, though.

mmmm loud pops & crackles can fry tweeters cant they?

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:

Not in my experience. If they did some old DJ mates of mine would have been replacing them every month. :)

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Alears said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:

Not in my experience. If they did some old DJ mates of mine would have been replacing them every month. :)

I find the noise irritating though

mikeparker59 said:
Alears said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:

I find the noise irritating though

That's just the DJ swearing as he's changing another tweeter. :grin:

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Popps and cackels irritate me IF;

- I paid good money for a so called excellent or excellent+ recording. Luckily, this has, I think only happened twice and in one instance the seller sent me another (mint) record as compensations

- I have cleaned the record, perhaps even twice, through multiple stages with de-enzymer, my cleaning solution and distilled water yet it still cackles. (We are still talking excellent or better condition)

Other than that, I can accept a little bit of noise on old, original recordings and hear straight past it, the noise that is.

On the related subject of cleaning, I have simplified my method down to the bare essentials. Where I used to get carried away when I started a few months ago (see avove), I now mostly use windolene on both sides, work it in with soft bristled shoe brush, wipe with heavy weight kitchen roll (not the cheap stuff which leaves most of itself behind) followed by a few spritzes of distilled water and another wipe.

Works just as well :)

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts