Can I control two separate amps with just one master volume?

Karl UK

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello everybody.

Now this might seem like a weird setup I have, but I like it. My system comprises of a separate Sony duel cassette deck, a Denon cd/amp/tuner, and a separate Denon integrated amp. Well I had this thought when I was at work a couple of weeks ago listening to the sound system (I work in a nightclub/bar by day), that adding a subwoofer to my personal sound system could add an interesting twist on my music, so that's exactly what I did. I have four unused hi-fi speakers each with a built-in subwoofer, so I took one, hidden it behind a chair and connected the subwoofer section of it up to a speaker output of my cd/amp/tuner, cranked the bass a bit and reduced the treble to minimum, and it actually sounds really nice with my main speakers that are connected to my other amp. The problem is, since both amps have independent volume controls, when I adjust my main speaker volume, I also have to adjust the volume of the sub on the other amp, and this gets annoying. My question; is there any way to use one master volume to control the lot without knocking the levels between the sub and mains out of kilter once set to my preference? They do this in work using a wall mounted volume control panel and its very convenient. The amps are hidden though so I'm not sure how their system is set up. Any suggestions or solutions?

Thanks - Karl.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a Denon CD tuner amp that has a subwoofer output as well as left/right speaker output, though I've never added a subwoofer. Does yours have the same? If so just use that one amp. Otherwise you are going to need to connect the outputs of the two amps through three volume pots that are linked together in the same way that a stereo pot is, it would also be taking the amplified output of the amps you have and would need to be able to handle the current from them.

I'm afraid that's over to the electronics experts!

Easiest solution would be to get an amp with subwoofer output if your Denon cd tuner amp doesn't already have one

Karl UK

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi mike and thanks for the reply (sorry for my late one I've been busy with all the xmas bookings).

Yeah I'll probably remove the hidden speaker from the equation for the time being and if I decide to permanently use a sub at a later date, buy a powered one and do things the intended way. I reckon that's the cheaper method too than to muck around buying more amps I generally don't need. My cd/amp/tuner is the older rcd-100 model from the 90's and doesn't have any connections for a sub unfortunately (having said that, I wouldn't even know if Its compatible with a powered sub either)...ah well, not the end of the world.

Thanks again.

TrevC

mikeparker59 said:
TrevC said:
I would make / buy some resistive attenuators and connect direct to the main speakers. This type of thing. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPEAKER-TO-RCA-CONVERTER-HIGH-TO-LOW-LINE-LEVEL-CABLE-/330341726370?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4ce9e6b8a2

That one is stereo.

Don't quite understand how that would help control both main speakers and sub with one volume control though? :?

The second amp is supplied by a line level output derived from the speakers that are controlled by the volume control.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
mikeparker59 said:
TrevC said:
I would make / buy some resistive attenuators and connect direct to the main speakers. This type of thing. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPEAKER-TO-RCA-CONVERTER-HIGH-TO-LOW-LINE-LEVEL-CABLE-/330341726370?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4ce9e6b8a2

That one is stereo.

Don't quite understand how that would help control both main speakers and sub with one volume control though? :?

The second amp is supplied by a line level output derived from the speakers that are controlled by the volume control.

Sorry but I must be thick or something but can't picture how this would work. from my understanding he's using the speaker outputs of one amp to feed the left right speakers and the speaker output of the other amp to feed his sub. If he connects the speaker outputs of one amp to an input of the other amp then he would need two sets of speaker outputs from the second amp one set for left and right channels and other for subwoofer yes? No?

If that's the case why not just use one amp that has two sets of speaker outputs maybe with one of those devices you linked to to balance the levels between main and sub?

TrevC

One amp supplies left right, next amp fed from speakers of first amp via that line attenuator and that supplies sub speakers. Result, one volume control (on first amp) controls everything.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
One amp supplies left right, next amp fed from speakers of first amp via that line attenuator and that supplies sub speakers. Result, one volume control (on first amp) controls everything.

Gotcha now! :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts