Can headphone Amplifiers be used on the own

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Been looking at headphone amps. Wondering if any of these amps can be used as a stand alone amplifier away from the main system with just ipod and speakers.
Read somewhere the Lehmann Rhinelander can do both pre amp and amplifier . Not sure if this means the it can be used on its own.
Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Probably not with speakers, as in most cases there'll be insufficient output to drive speakers. But away from the main system with iPod and headphones, yes.

idc

Many headphone amps double as preamps. That means they do the volume control. You need the power amp to provide sufficient power for speakers. Integrated amps have the pre and power and often a headphone amp all in one.

There are some headphones that can be driven off speaker amps, but no headphone amp can power a speaker. Mine outputs 2.5 W, which is more than most headphone amps, but way down on even the lowest powered integrated amps.

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Intention was to use with and without hifi. Was intending to use with headphones only. Never thoughout of using one with a power amp.
Cheers

A

Anonymous

Do a google search for the NuForce Icon desktop DAC and amp, it might do want you want. If not they do some very reasonable USB headphone amps and you could consider something separate for with speakers. I'm considering one for on my desk with my PC.

TRENDING THREADS