Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
A not so tech savvy friend of mine asked me to install one in his house. I went for the affectionaly named TP-LINK TL-WA830RE as it was only 30 notes and got good reviews. I've given it a trial run in my house and its a big improvement over the crummy sky router i have.

Havent got round to installing it at his house yet but hopefully it will do the trick with his lead walls or whatever he has :grin:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Unless you really need the WiFi I'd recommend you take a different route and buy homeplugs. It's the best thing I ever did.

Nothing truly beats connecting two things together with a cable.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Unless you really need the WiFi I'd recommend you take a different route and buy homeplugs. It's the best thing I ever did.

Nothing truly beats connecting two things together with a cable.
Thanks, I already have homeplugs which do indeed work well. My tablet, phone and son's ipod all require wireless.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Ben123 said:
A not so tech savvy friend of mine asked me to install one in his house. I went for the affectionaly named TP-LINK TL-WA830RE as it was only 30 notes and got good reviews. I've given it a trial run in my house and its a big improvement over the crummy sky router i have.

Havent got round to installing it at his house yet but hopefully it will do the trick with his lead walls or whatever he has :grin:
Thanks, but that is a bit big - I may want to deploy on the landing, so one of the plugin ones is probably more suitable. I notice on Amazon that there is a TP-LINK TL-WA850RE which fits the bill.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
hammill said:
Thanks, I already have homeplugs which do indeed work well. My tablet, phone and son's ipod all require wireless.

Ah fair do's...just thought I'd mention it in case you'd never heard of them. I hadn't heard of them 'til quite recently, nor have most of the people I know.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
hammill said:
Ah fair do's...just thought I'd mention it in case you'd never heard of them. I hadn't heard of them 'til quite recently, nor have most of the people I know.

Will an Apple Airport Express do the job? Link it to your router and it creates another wifi zone as well as other things. Not very cheap I suppose but I'm sure I have read that it is a solution.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Feral said:
Useful utility for checking if neighbours or other devices are hammering a particular wireless band. Enables you to choose a quiet band and potentially improve performance although you may have checked this already.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Feral
I have already changed channel, but thanks for the suggestion. It is a long way from my wireless router to the back of the house.

LateDev

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
There are devices called powerline wifi extenders, which combine the powerline technology, but the receiver also Transmits/Reveives wifi. Ideal for those with pads and game boxes with no ethernet connection.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
LateDev said:
There are devices called powerline wifi extenders, which combine the powerline technology, but the receiver also Transmits/Reveives wifi. Ideal for those with pads and game boxes with no ethernet connection.

As It happens, that is what I got in the end.

Paul.

What router do you have? It may be worth considering replacing the router with a better one rather than adding and extender to the network. Adding an extender can slow down the network. I really rate Asus routers, N66 is bullet proof and very fast.

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I had the problem of wi fi not reaching parts of my house. Power plugs were not possible as some rooms on a different circuit. I was using a Virgin Media superhub. What I did was to use the superhub as a modem only and purchase a Netgear Nighthawk router. This has brilliant coverage and solved my problem

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts