Can anyone comment if AVI ADM 9.1 are better then EB2?

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
I know lot of you would say I am comparing apple to oranges, but in my hunt for perfect speakers I need to know in pure SQ if AVI would outperform EB2.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am sure the only people who can answer this are the WHF review team who have recent experience of reviewing both.

It is very unlikely that there are any forum members who have heard both. The EB2 has only been available for a short time (couple of months I think) and both systems are only available by direct purchase from their respective websites so direct comparison in a dealer's premises is not possible.

I am sure you have read both WHF reviews. (Both are online and easily searched for.)

T

the record spot

You might as well ditch the search now as the "perfect" speaker probably doesn't exist. I know some will call me "pedantic", but the path to hell, or at least one of them, is the one that leads down hifi tweakery and usually at the expense of just enjoying the music.

So fare thee well on your journey and don't forget, the road to hifi heaven is appreciating the music. Probably through some Genelec 8030As...

(Hifi hell is different for us all I hear).

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chebby,

Thanks for your response, unfortunately with both these speakers all of us are left with word of mouth as you have rightly stated that both are purchased directly and there are no possibility for home or in-shop demo. That's the reason I've been looking for some feedback but WHF has been very silent on my queries which is understandable
emotion-4.gif

I also think it is unfair to quote the price of these speakers without the postage, for e.g. EBs are shipped worldwide for 90 pounds and if you need to return it, it will cost the same, similarly AVIs have the same policy. If there is no option to buy these in shop then WHF should put the price including shipping.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi I know question of amplification will be raised, so if AVIs and EB2 are connected with similar Amp via analgue how would they compare?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Zubkabera:
Hi Chebby,

Thanks for your response, unfortunately with both these speakers all of us are left with word of mouth as you have rightly stated that both are purchased directly and there are no possibility for home or in-shop demo. That's the reason I've been looking for some feedback but WHF has been very silent on my queries which is understandable
emotion-4.gif

I also think it is unfair to quote the price of these speakers without the postage, for e.g. EBs are shipped worldwide for 90 pounds and if you need to return it, it will cost the same, similarly AVIs have the same policy. If there is no option to buy these in shop then WHF should put the price including shipping.

You can demo the AVI's. I have done so in two different shops one of which have said I could home demo them for the weekend. you could get the EB2s and take them with you to demo against the AVI. The problem is I would think you would have to spend more than the £500 difference to get an amp and DAC (or source) to go with the EB2 to do them justice.

my opinion is that if you are planning to use PC as a source and you need a complete system you could not do better in sound terms for the price than the AVIs. No upgrade path though!!

T

the record spot

It's an irrelevant question as the fundamental nature of each is wholly different. You won't get a passive ADM but you'd need to make the EB2 active to have some indication. That's not going to happen in a hurry, so the question, sadly, is a tad redundant.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Zubkabera:Hi I know question of amplification will be raised, so if AVIs and EB2 are connected with similar Amp via analgue how would they compare?

Thats kind of missing the point a little. The AVIs have power and preamp designed to match the speaker. the EB2s would need matching and testing out different amps to get them at their best and that is without adding in the factor of the AVI DAC which "should" improve the sound of any digital source you connect to it whereas if you were to put a cheap DVD player for example into the RCA of a great amp it is till likely to sound a bit rubbish.
If you are not going to use the features of the AVIs I would look at something else.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
bay24:Zubkabera:Hi I know question of amplification will be raised, so if AVIs and EB2 are connected with similar Amp via analgue how would they compare?

Thats kind of missing the point a little. The AVIs have power and preamp designed to match the speaker. the EB2s would need matching and testing out different amps to get them at their best and that is without adding in the factor of the AVI DAC which "should" improve the sound of any digital source you connect to it whereas if you were to put a cheap DVD player for example into the RCA of a great amp it is till likely to sound a bit rubbish.
If you are not going to use the features of the AVIs I would look at something else.

Apologies for the ridiculously long sentence!

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
In this case then I should compare AVI Neutron with EB1 or EB2 but the price difference is quite a lot, in other thread JD compared the Neutron with DB1s so I could imagine they sound much bigger then their price tag.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
I would also add that I am bit confused on my speakers choice, I've got Kandy LIII connected via dacmagic and source is SQB3 via optical, now whether I should add EB1 or EB2 or get rid of Kandy and dac magic and go for AVI9.1 that's the delimma I have. Due to no audition option of either of these speakers and steep shipping cost I am now dependent on other's advice.

If EB2 were not there then I would've gone with ATC SMC11 but since EB2 have toppled the SMC11 and Ricky is not convinced if L3 is the right option for EB2 because he tested Caspian I don't want to take a risk.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I am not sure what you mean by the big price difference, do you mean between the Neutron and the ADM9.1? The big price difference would be the speaker size, amp and DAC in the 9.1!

I love my Neutrons but I would imagine they are quite a different speaker to the EB1 and especially the EB2. The neutrons are a compact stand mount so I would imagine would not have the power or low end grunt of the quite huge EB2s. for small to medium sized rooms they are great though, very detailed clean sound. No idea if they are as good as the PMCs as I have not heard them though, I have not heard many people say negative things about the Neutrons.
Do you have an amp already? what are you planning to use as a source?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Zubkabera:
I would also add that I am bit confused on my speakers choice, I've got Kandy LIII connected via dacmagic and source is SQB3 via optical, now whether I should add EB1 or EB2 or get rid of Kandy and dac magic and go for AVI9.1 that's the delimma I have. Due to no audition option of either of these speakers and steep shipping cost I am now dependent on other's advice.

If EB2 were not there then I would've gone with ATC SMC11 but since EB2 have toppled the SMC11 and Ricky is not convinced if L3 is the right option for EB2 because he tested Caspian I don't want to take a risk.

Ah you answered my questions! Are you in the UK? If you are you should be able to demo the ADMs I know of two places in London that definitely will.
I would make sure you demo the ADMs as they will probably be different to your current set up. What kind of music do you listen to?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't know. You have asked questions about ADM9.1 vs DM110 and EB2 vs SCM11 (review in WHF September issue) and ADM9.1 vs EB2 and now Neutron V vs EB1/EB2.

On all occasions you seem to be in search of definitive and absolute answers (even down to wanting to know the exact sound with them being used with your Roksan L3 or against your L3 and a range of speakers in the case of the ADM9.1s).

You really are asking for the impossible. Even if someone had heard every permutation against every other one (including your amp), and even if they had heard all this in your living room their opinions would most likely be different to yours.

You really must start listening to some of these options for yourself (as difficult as this might be) and with your amp if possible.

If this is difficult (or impossible or expensive) we still can't make it easy, short of having a collection to pay the postage that is preventing you from demonstrating some of them.

If £180 round-trip postage is too expensive, and it is impossible for us (and the WHF reviews) to accurately convey exactly what they all sound like to your satisfaction, then you are going to have to drop those options and stick to the ones you can find to listen to locally.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I am based in Germany and travel often in Benelux, I mostly listen to pop, dance, techno and occasionally classical, my problem is I can't demo AVIs or EB1 or EB2 in Germany or close-by. I am not sure if EB1 or EB2 which will work well with my L3 and taste of music or ADM will be better option.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Chebby,

I agree with you, I would start my demo from this weekend, EB1 and EB2 are out of scope as the EB website say they are not taking anymore orders because of sheer volume of orders.

I am amazed how such a small company get Best buy which can't deliver product to customers, WHF keep surprising me every time, so I will start my demo with SCM11 and will try to find if I can demo AVIs.

T

the record spot

I suspect that the lack of bass some have commented on in the AVI actives might be an issue for the music you listen to. The sub, however, is an additional £800 - but will solve your problem. Perhaps the Neutrons with the sub are a better option. But...buying blind is running a risk, though I suspect the N5s will be impressive.

However, I feel bound to mention, if you're looking at active speakers, the Genelec 8030A or 8040A if you're feeling flush, will do wonders.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
RS is is saving up for this
emotion-5.gif

Active monitor produced for NHK by Fostex with amplification by Accuphase. A bargain at around 30,000 GBP for a pair.

(sorry for the thread hijack...)

T

the record spot

chebby:
Why haven't you got active speakers yet Record Spot?

Three reasons Chebby: cost being one - £800 for the Genelecs or the Acoustic Energy speakers (nearer £850 really come to think of it), and the twins who aren't quite three yet (November) being the other two!

Need to wait till they're a little more grown up before I can trust getting some really pricey speakers in without them trying to rebuild them, eat them, etc, etc, etc., otherwise it'd be a pair of either of the above two coming in at home in no time. Not heard the AEs yet, but the Gennies were jaw-dropping to my ears.

The box reduction count theory is more likely just now though (a bit like yourself) - two CDPs and a DVD player really should be sold off for a Cambridge 650BD I think. Just need to convince Mrs. R_S on that one...!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
RS, I am pretty sure you could get the majority of the funding (£800) for those speakers from the sale of your system on ebay. You have some very collectible stuff after all.

A quick check of recently completed sales on ebay shows two sales of Mission 752s for £300 and an AU 717 for £227 + £110 delivery and an SA7001 KI for £250.

You don't need a CD player (assuming you have a computer at home) just a DAC like the Behringer UCA 202 for £22 and your CDs ripped losslessly.

As for the twins, you can easily wall-mount those speakers with Genelec's own bespoke wall-mounts for only £36.

Ok no excuses left
emotion-1.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Zubkabera:
I am amazed how such a small company get Best buy which can't deliver product to customers,

Much bigger companies than EB Acoustics have had trouble meeting demand after a five-star review...

A

Anonymous

chebby:
RS, I am pretty sure you could get the majority of the funding (£800) for those speakers from the sale of your system on ebay. You have some very collectible stuff after all.

A quick check of recently completed sales on ebay shows two sales of Mission 752s for £300 and an AU 717 for £227 + £110 delivery and an SA7001 KI for £250.

You don't need a CD player (assuming you have a computer at home) just a DAC like the Behringer UCA 202 for £22 and your CDs ripped losslessly.

As for the twins, you can easily wall-mount those speakers with Genelec's own bespoke wall-mounts for only £36.

Ok no excuses left
emotion-1.gif

emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts