Can anybody suggest a way forward with wi-fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As a complete novice I am a bit lost, is anybody able to offer advice.

I recently bought an HD TV, I will get sky HD or virgin + in months to come when the price hopefully comes down, but in the short term i want to get a PS3 as a HD source. I understand that PS3 uses wireless technology to update its software so I guess I am going to need to go wireless in the house. I am a virgin cable customer on broadband, I have a wireless enabled laptop for work and also a wii for the kids.

- Will a single wireless router supply wireles connectivity to the laptop, the wii and the PS3.

- Does the technology allow them all to work simultaneously?

- what do I need to look for when buying a router? At PC world they range in price from £40 to £120, how do I buy for my needs?

If anybody can offer advice I would be truly grateful.

John Duncan

Yes, they will all work together, but it depends on how your broadband is set up at the moment - you may need only a router, or you may need a cable modem as well (though you can buy them in a combined box).

Virgin are not terribly helpful with some of their wireless kit, since the access point they gave me would only service one client, which isn't terribly helpful in your situation. I was able to rectify this with a bought router (belkin off the top of my head), but this was a while ago and I subsequently haven't been able to get my Vista laptop to work with it, which may have to do with the age of the router or the stupidity of vista, no idea.

Just as an aside, if you're getting your internet from the back of the virgin set top box, you might be able to use wired networking for the PS3, rather than wireless, if they're in the same place.

Describe your current internet setup and hardware (if any) for me and we'll take it from there.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response John. I don't know the correct name for any of the wiring etc, but if you picture the situation....

I have the virgin line coming into the house in a corner of the living room behind the TV. The box on the wall has what appears to be 2 output ports on the top. One is free, the other feed has a wire that comes to what appears to be a metal splitter unit, which sends one feed to the TV (panasonic TX-32LZD80 - bought 2 weeks ago following rave reviews at WHSAV, it is brilliant by the way) and the other feed (via an extension line) into the cellar below where I have the PC and cable modem. The cable modem is hooked up to my desktop PC at that point.

I am assuming that in order to run wireless technology round the house I will need a router that replaces the cable modem - is that correct? PC world suggested a Netgear router, but there must have been 10 or so to choose from, at different prices, so I was hoping to get some advice on what the differences were before I bought one.

Also, as a novice, I am reticent to buy a router without being sure 1 - that I am getting the right thing, 2 - that i am not going to ruin my internet connectivity at the desktop in the process.

I have been wanting to do this for sometime as I use the laptop a lot for work and would like internet access around the house, the prospect of the PS3 purchase will force my hand. In terms of the ps3, I want wireless support for the software upgrades rather than online gaming.

These forums are brilliant, if you can offer any advice that would be just great!

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
You need a wireless router connected to your PC and it also connects to the cable modem . John is correct Virgin not very good so best bet is just buy something suitable from PC world/Maplins. I have a Linksys WRT54GS . Make sure its poweful enuf to operate via brick walls especially since your PC in the cellar.

John Duncan

sgt.wilco:
Thanks for the response John. I don't know the correct name for any of the wiring etc, but if you picture the situation....

I have the virgin line coming into the house in a corner of the living room behind the TV. The box on the wall has what appears to be 2 output ports on the top. One is free, the other feed has a wire that comes to what appears to be a metal splitter unit, which sends one feed to the TV (panasonic TX-32LZD80 - bought 2 weeks ago following rave reviews at WHSAV, it is brilliant by the way) and the other feed (via an extension line) into the cellar below where I have the PC and cable modem. The cable modem is hooked up to my desktop PC at that point.

I am assuming that in order to run wireless technology round the house I will need a router that replaces the cable modem - is that correct? PC world suggested a Netgear router, but there must have been 10 or so to choose from, at different prices, so I was hoping to get some advice on what the differences were before I bought one.

Also, as a novice, I am reticent to buy a router without being sure 1 - that I am getting the right thing, 2 - that i am not going to ruin my internet connectivity at the desktop in the process.

I have been wanting to do this for sometime as I use the laptop a lot for work and would like internet access around the house, the prospect of the PS3 purchase will force my hand. In terms of the ps3, I want wireless support for the software upgrades rather than online gaming.

These forums are brilliant, if you can offer any advice that would be just great!

I'll reply more fully, but you just need a router, since you already have a modem - I use a Belkin Wireless G Router. It can be a pain to set up, but once it is, it should be no more problem than wired, in my experience. Vista is a pig to set up though (I have not succeeded thus far!)

John Duncan

Right. The poster above is right about cellars and wireless. I suspect that the best way forward would be to move the cable modem upstairs to where the cable inlet is, and attach a wireless router to the cable modem. Since wireless routers have a number of wired network points as well, you can either connect your downstairs PC to the router wired or wirelessly - there is a lead running from the inlet to the PC already - yes? - so replace that run of cable with a network cable instead of coax, or you need to add wireless capability to the PC if it doesn't have it already - USB sticks are available for this purpose.

You could then connect your PS3 to the router wired, since I am presuming that a) the PS3 is by the telly and b) if the PS3 gets its updates off the internet, it could do it wired or wireless, and wired is painless.

Then it's just a case of getting any wireless devices to talk to the router, which is generally the tricky bit. It will be useful to connect your laptop to the router using a network cable for configuration purposes, setting up security and passwords etc - get it working wired before you try wireless. Follow the instructions that come with the router religiously, including the order in which you turn things off and on, and leaving them off for periods of time.

As for which router you choose, I have a 'G' router that looks like this, but any wireless router should be fine - going 'N' may be a risk since the standard isn't agreed yet, others may comment on its compatibility (or lack of). What you do not need, by the sound of it, is a combined router/cable modem, since you have one of those already, though you may wish to reduce the number of boxes by getting a combined one, at greater expense, obviously.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for taking the time to advise me John, it is really appreciated.

I'm gonna pick up a router this weekend and will follow your advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts