Cambridge DACMagic - not reading DVD soundtrack, audio CDs okay...

T

the record spot

One for the experts here! I posted on another thread in the Hifi sub-forum that I've bought a DACMagic and currently trialling it at home. Thought things were going okay, but it seems to be behaving oddly. It's hooked up thus:- Blu-Ray player connected to TV via HDMI. TV connected via optical to DM. DM connected to amp via RCA phonos. So far so fine. If I play a CD on the Sony BR player, it's fine - it plays back through the stereo as expected. If I play a DVD, then the pictures are displayed, but the soundtrack doesn't come over. I checked my settings on my TV and think they're okay (Sony set as below) and think the BR player's alright too. However, are there any particular settings I need to bear in mind? I'm puzzled that a CD will play but not the DVD soundtrack. I'd previously played back through the TV's RCA out sockets and it was fine. Do I need to have the optical cable running from the BR player to the DM directly? That seems logical but I assumed that the HDMI cable would carry the signal to the TV and the optical out handled the audio signal to an amp or DAC. Puzzled! Or, more accurately: Help!! [:D] EDIT: Should add, the audio signal from the TV has now stopped functioning to the DAC. Faulty unit maybe?

A

Anonymous

the record spot:One for the experts here!

I posted on another thread in the Hifi sub-forum that I've bought a DACMagic and currently trialling it at home. Thought things were going okay, but it seems to be behaving oddly. It's hooked up thus:-

Blu-Ray player connected to TV via HDMI. TV connected via optical to DM. DM connected to amp via RCA phonos. So far so fine.

If I play a CD on the Sony BR player, it's fine - it plays back through the stereo as expected.

If I play a DVD, then the pictures are displayed, but the soundtrack doesn't come over. I checked my settings on my TV and think they're okay (Sony set as below) and think the BR player's alright too. However, are there any particular settings I need to bear in mind? I'm puzzled that a CD will play but not the DVD soundtrack. I'd previously played back through the TV's RCA out sockets and it was fine. Do I need to have the optical cable running from the BR player to the DM directly? That seems logical but I assumed that the HDMI cable would carry the signal to the TV and the optical out handled the audio signal to an amp or DAC.

Puzzled! Or, more accurately: Help!!
emotion-2.gif

EDIT: Should add, the audio signal from the TV has now stopped functioning to the DAC. Faulty unit maybe?

yep, and you need to configure the bdp to output audio in stereo (presuming your only using your two missions?) via optical...

orconnect to the dac from the bdp via coax, and set the bdp to output thus..

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:One for the experts here!

I posted on another thread in the Hifi sub-forum that I've bought a DACMagic and currently trialling it at home. Thought things were going okay, but it seems to be behaving oddly. It's hooked up thus:-

Blu-Ray player connected to TV via HDMI. TV connected via optical to DM. DM connected to amp via RCA phonos. So far so fine.

If I play a CD on the Sony BR player, it's fine - it plays back through the stereo as expected.

If I play a DVD, then the pictures are displayed, but the soundtrack doesn't come over. I checked my settings on my TV and think they're okay (Sony set as below) and think the BR player's alright too. However, are there any particular settings I need to bear in mind? I'm puzzled that a CD will play but not the DVD soundtrack. I'd previously played back through the TV's RCA out sockets and it was fine. Do I need to have the optical cable running from the BR player to the DM directly? That seems logical but I assumed that the HDMI cable would carry the signal to the TV and the optical out handled the audio signal to an amp or DAC.

Puzzled! Or, more accurately: Help!!
emotion-2.gif

EDIT: Should add, the audio signal from the TV has now stopped functioning to the DAC. Faulty unit maybe?

Remember, no DAC will decode Dolby Digital or DTS. Your DVD player must be set to stereo.

T

the record spot

OK, thanks guys - will recheck the settings on the BR player...*deep breath*

Messiah

Whilst I would alter the BD player to output Stereo I would have thought the TV would convert the signal to stereo anyway.

If the BD player was connected directly to the DAC then I would understand the need to change the settings.

I gather you mean you think the TV is faulty?

T

the record spot

OK, done, we have sound! Thanks again. There were a bunch of Dolby Digital settings that I just reset to downmix PCM. Works fine now. Delighted - nice one chaps; much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

ha! Had the same issue months ago with the same exact equipment :) Glad you're all sorted now

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts