Cambridge Audio's Evo CD has finally been revealed - but we're still missing a key detail

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
I can sort-of understand the resurgence of vinyl with the tactile quality of large records as well as being able to appreciate the cover artwork and lyrics. There is also a fascination around how any sound can be made from them at all, in a way that is akin to why mechanical watches are more appealing to some than quartz.

None of this applies to CD to any comparable extent and, as for sound quality, potential customers who are interested enough to consider spending £1000 are probably well aware that a quality rip is likely to be the same or superior.

As for this specific product, now I know Cambridge Audio are based in the UK and generally make excellent kit, but to describe the inability of this CD transport to connect to anything beyond other Evo components as being ‘the only minor catch we've spotted so far‘, well this understatement did make me chuckle.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I don't wish to be the devils advocate and I fully endorse the British Hi-Fi audio industry but I think we're slightly out of sync with the modern digital industry.

If you're listening to high res 512 DSD or FLAC sourced material on your PC via external high quality DAC or Jukebox DAC player (AUNE, nice budget 512 DSD media player) or even a stand alone high resolution Streamer (Onkyo a little dated but capable DAC player resolution up to DSD 256), you start to question the validity of a CD transport. Maybe this explains why vinyl's are still alive because CD technology per se is flawed, limited to16bit 44kHz frequency, the envelope of the full spectrum of sound is choked. Nice try but modern digital audio has evolved.

Cambridge will beg to differ and I get it but I do think, if you're going to have a CD transport unit on the market, it should be the perfect swiss knife, it should be able to multi-task, such as, ability to play multi-formats SACD/DTS/DVD as default (maybe the Cambridge does that?), it should include a USB port to read other formats from external drive, lossless PCM FLAC, MQA, DSD etc. Ideally, it should adopt some of the DAP features, such as a working OS (built in F002000 software or Android OS perhaps?) that allows you to set up your favourite music files and the perfect interface that allows enhance listening experience. Most of those features you can find on your top end internet streamers, which begs the question, why do we need a CD transport?

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Some of us love CD, some vinyl. Does it matter?
I'm not saying it should matter.
Its a bit like supporting an under performing football team but if it's self validation you seek it's only logical you support the team that brings trophies and title but football is about the emotions.
If it strikes a cord, you follow the team you love.
Music is kind of like the same, if you like vinyl or CD thats great.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
still have a massive CD collection so always going to have a CDP / CDT - bought into the evo kit about a year ago with evo 150 to massively reduce box count, been waiting on the CDT, ordered yesterday due in about 10 mins, I like things to match, like the fact will download artwork, sure will finish my system off nicely, don't like the fact it is tied to the evo/will only work with it, but that's life.

Like the big old xbox one ha

Attachments

• 1684501168595.jpg
    1684501168595.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
still have a massive CD collection so always going to have a CDP / CDT - bought into the evo kit about a year ago with evo 150 to massively reduce box count, been waiting on the CDT, ordered yesterday due in about 10 mins, I like things to match, like the fact will download artwork, sure will finish my system off nicely, don't like the fact it is tied to the evo/will only work with it, but that's life.

Like the big old xbox one ha
Very nice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts