Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus - any info yet?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm interested in buying a Dacmagic, but notice on the Cambridge website that a new 'Plus' version is due soon. I can't find much info on it other than specs, and I know final pricing and releases are not decided / embargoed at present. (I also know that WH aren't allowed to post speculative info on release & pricing until it's officially released)

I suppose what I need to know is this: do we at least know if it is to replace the current model at the same or more-or-less the same price, or is it a new, more expensive, higher end DAC, and they will sell both at a relevant price point?

If it's likely to be more than £100 over the price of the current model I won't bother, and I probably won't bother waiting for it to come out, much as I fancy the higher quality and features. But by the same token, I don't want to buy the current Dacmagic if it's to be replaced soon with a superior version.

I'm guessing that as it seems to share most of its components with the 840 flagship CA range AND have features like wireless streaming and a headphone amp, it's unlikely to be 200 quid, but do we know anything about even roughly when it's going to be released and for how much? The bloke I spoke to in Richer Sounds this morning hadn't even heard about it, but the manager reckoned after Christmas, and the current DM would most likely go obsolete.

Cheers

Rob

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Clare. Do we at least know if the current Dacmagic is to be discontinued and replaced with this one, or will it be a new, more expensive version and both will continue to be sold? If so, and a higher price point is expected, I will probably just get the normal one.

Regards

Rob

A

Anonymous

And within reason, I think that'd be fair enough. But is the current one going obsolete? That much is very unclear, and if it does, will it reduce in price? CA need to get their act together!

A

Anonymous

Woohoo, excellent news. Look forward to reading some more definitive facts on it soon & deciding how I plunge my precious Christmas money! :)

Rob

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Not replacing the original dac by the looks of it, but just another option if you want to go up a notch and have a headphone amp thrown in. Dont think i will bother upgrading as i stream to my hi-fi with a airport express into my dacmagic, and i dont like the sound of bluetooth either, surely it should of been wifi?

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
simon3102000 said:
Not replacing the original dac by the looks of it, but just another option if you want to go up a notch and have a headphone amp thrown in. Dont think i will bother upgrading as i stream to my hi-fi with a airport express into my dacmagic, and i dont like the sound of bluetooth either, surely it should of been wifi?

The Manager in my local Richer Sounds told me that the original Dacmagic is being discontinued.

John Duncan

Gusboll said:
The Manager in my local Richer Sounds told me that the original Dacmagic is being discontinued.

It is. The plus isn't a direct replacement though because it has wider functionality and a meatier spec by the look of it; the wireless stuff looks especially interesting.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Gusboll said:

It is. The plus isn't a direct replacement though because it has wider functionality and a meatier spec by the look of it; the wireless stuff looks especially interesting.

However, we're told there will be further new DacMagic products, both above and below the DacMagic Plus, arriving in the New Year. So a replacement for the standard DacMagic looks likely...

A

Anonymous

Could be interested if there's a 384khz upsampling one with the wireless & better USB minus the headphones. Will await info eagerly on all developments and hang fire on buying one for now.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
One analogue input (and a remote) away from being a perfect partner to a pair of active speakers. (Even has the balanced XLR connections found on many active speakers.)

... And an ht bypass mode. Otherwise very interesting.

A

Anonymous

So, £350 it seems....

Hmmm, a whole £150 over the current model... Is the upsampling of 384khz REALLY worth it (because really, if you're using WAVs / Lossless files sampled at 44.1khz and bypassing the PC's own upsampling, it doesn't do anything the old one doesn't, and from CDs, 384khz is miles over the human ear's perception).

Everything analogue about it seems to be the same, and jitter-wise etc.

If the headphone amp & its USB capability is of no interest, do we think it's really worth it? And I mean in the real world, not on an oscilloscope :D

Also, will the headphone jack output an upsampled post DAC signal, or will it sound no better than my 540R?

Rob

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
John Duncan said:
Gusboll said:

However, we're told there will be further new DacMagic products, both above and below the DacMagic Plus, arriving in the New Year. So a replacement for the standard DacMagic looks likely...

Chopped straight from CA's Facebook post:

DacMagic Plus has replaced the hugely popular DacMagic! With exciting new features, wireless device connectivity and significantly enhanced audio performance...

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Andy Clough said:
John Duncan said:
Gusboll said:

Chopped straight from CA's Facebook post:

DacMagic Plus has replaced the hugely popular DacMagic! With exciting new features, wireless device connectivity and significantly enhanced audio performance...

Well, on a recent tour of Cambridge Audio's HQ with the company's marketing director I was told there would be a range of DacMagic products, not just a single replacement for the original model. He should know.

John Duncan

Andy Clough said:
Well, on a recent tour of Cambridge Audio's HQ with the company's marketing director I was told there would be a range of DacMagic products, not just a single replacement for the original model. He should know.

"It is not a direct replacement for the original DacMagic as it's quite a different beast and has far superior functionality. Calling it a replacement immediately prompts comparisons with the older model, when in fact they are quite different."

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Given the level of interest here, I've had a chat with Cambridge Audio this morning and gleaned a little more information. First, the DacMagic Plus will go on sale in Richer Sounds stores on or before December 1st.

Second, CA has confirmed that "a new entry-level DacMagic will go on sale in spring 2012". There's no exact confirmation on pricing yet, but it's likely to be "close to the 2008-2011 DacMagic". That's to say around the £230 mark.

And as I saw both models in development back in the summer, I can confirm they are quite different in terms of specification.

A

Anonymous

' I can confirm they are quite different in terms of specification.'

Hi,

Can you confirm in what respect the specification is different?

Ta.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts