Cambridge Audio DAC Magic

Golden Ears

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Well after reading comments in What Hi-Fi and various other reviews statingthe DAC Magic is one of the best DAC's at ANY price I seized the oppertunity to buy one for £170 here in Norway. I took it home with great pride expecting a true bargain.... Hmmm I unpluged my trusty SRC4296 which has been in service over 6 years! This DAC has all the functions you'd expect and so much more! My first impressions of the DAC Magic were :

1) Clear

2) Thin

3) Lacking bass depth

4) Vocals lack warmth

5) Stereo imaging is fine

6) Timing way to slow

7) Rythm was really un-inspiring.

I unplugged the offending item and waited a week before taking it to my father inlaws hi end system for another go. His system confirmed my owns, this DAC really is only a poor mans DAC, it applies a quality that is lacking resolution and finess.

My system comprises of :

Audio Analogue Donizeti

Audio Angel Pre amp (Valve)

Arcam CD82T

Behringher SRC2496

Yamaha NS120

Custom built cables (tested against Transparent Audio cables costing 10,000's of pounds with no discernable difference!

My advice is for a truely cost effect awesome sounding DAC buy the Behringer 2496 you can find them new from £145 and I assure you the quality is equal to DAC costing 10-20 times as much!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Arcam user huh? Well I can assure you the DAC Magic is not thin sounding by any measure...this is how dynamics sound like....as for Behringer kit....they cannot compete with kit at the same price level let alone with DacMagics and kit costing 10-20 times as much. After all DacMagic has been raved about by reviewers the world over....can you show me a review of your Behringer? Its good that you like your kit....maybe so much that you actually think that its superior. If spending you spend 230 on a dac magic and its considere a poor man's dac....so spending 145 is considered what??? Be realistic...you get what you pay for!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Golden Ears:
Well after reading comments in What Hi-Fi and various other reviews statingthe DAC Magic is one of the best DAC's at ANY price I seized the oppertunity to buy one for £170 here in Norway. I took it home with great pride expecting a true bargain.... Hmmm I unpluged my trusty SRC4296 which has been in service over 6 years! This DAC has all the functions you'd expect and so much more! My first impressions of the DAC Magic were :

1) Clear

2) Thin

3) Lacking bass depth

4) Vocals lack warmth

5) Stereo imaging is fine

6) Timing way to slow

7) Rythm was really un-inspiring.

I unplugged the offending item and waited a week before taking it to my father inlaws hi end system for another go. His system confirmed my owns, this DAC really is only a poor mans DAC, it applies a quality that is lacking resolution and finess.

My system comprises of :

Audio Analogue Donizeti

Audio Angel Pre amp (Valve)

Arcam CD82T

Behringher SRC2496

Yamaha NS120

Custom built cables (tested against Transparent Audio cables costing 10,000's of pounds with no discernable difference!

My advice is for a truely cost effect awesome sounding DAC buy the Behringer 2496 you can find them new from £145 and I assure you the quality is equal to DAC costing 10-20 times as much!

The one reason, I would never buy this DAC.

Golden Ears

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Money : I watched audio friends go through 100,000's of pounds. Changing things all the time. From an Audio over kill system weighing in at 80k to Audio research kit usind Avalon Radion HC speakers using TRansparent Audio's most expensive speaker cable. These guys use money like beer money. Always looking for a better sound. I've invited them around with the lights off to listen they put a price on the system at 30 times it's cost but once they saw the electronics began to dream up flaws. And reading yopur statement on Behringer which I trust you have tried and tested as a comment such as ".they cannot compete with kit at the same price level let alone with DacMagics" would imply. I can only assume you think money brings awesome sound.... Affraid not.... But hell if the DACMagic is so awesome in your ears who am I to say it's not the best thing you've heard... But try knocking something only after trying it in your system and not by looks alone ;) I'm a blank page with each thing I try as everyone's ears are different and opinions range. I only tried the DAC Magic as I to thought if something this cheap performs so good wait until I get a rated product.... Hmmmm what a shame....

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've not heard the Behringer but I have listened to the DAC Magic and found that it offers a useful upgrade for anyone looking to upgrade their sound for a modest outlay.

Of course for someone who already has a high-end system the Cambridge might sound out of place, but generally, if you're looking to freshen up your sound for a few hundred quid, the DAC Magic is an option worth considering.

As for the comments about it sounding "thin'' or lacking in rhythm all I can say is prospective buyers should audition it themselves first before buying.

Golden Ears

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Oh course! Poeples tastes and systems very. I can only put across my experince of the unit having tried it in my system and a Hi End system to see the results, and for me both were the same.

T

the record spot

shafesk:Arcam user huh? Well I can assure you the DAC Magic is not thin sounding by any measure...this is how dynamics sound like....as for Behringer kit....they cannot compete with kit at the same price level let alone with DacMagics and kit costing 10-20 times as much. After all DacMagic has been raved about by reviewers the world over....can you show me a review of your Behringer? Its good that you like your kit....maybe so much that you actually think that its superior. If spending you spend 230 on a dac magic and its considere a poor man's dac....so spending 145 is considered what??? Be realistic...you get what you pay for!

I see we've a new standard bearer for the "Sweeping generalisations Dept" on the forum. Welcome friend!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:shafesk:Arcam user huh? Well I can assure you the DAC Magic is not thin sounding by any measure...this is how dynamics sound like....as for Behringer kit....they cannot compete with kit at the same price level let alone with DacMagics and kit costing 10-20 times as much. After all DacMagic has been raved about by reviewers the world over....can you show me a review of your Behringer? Its good that you like your kit....maybe so much that you actually think that its superior. If spending you spend 230 on a dac magic and its considere a poor man's dac....so spending 145 is considered what??? Be realistic...you get what you pay for!

I see we've a new standard bearer for the "Sweeping generalisations Dept" on the forum. Welcome friend!

I think most people would have picked out the OP from this post and not shafesk to be sarcastic at.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Golden Ears:I've invited them around with the lights off to listen...

psycho-house.jpg

T

the record spot

Gerrardasnails:
I think most people would have picked out the OP from this post and not shafesk to be sarcastic at.

What, for having an opinion that doesn't sit with yours or shafesk? Please...

The OP posted his thoughts and opinions, he's probably right in what he says with regard to Behringer or pro-audio gear in general. But shafesk wades in with "Arcam user huh?" whatever that means and then states the CA DACMagic can't really be faulted (my words).

You don't like the Behringer for its looks - fair enough, the OP looks beyond that (wisely) and gets a benefit he thinks is better than those offered by the CA DAC. Problem is what? A different take?

God, the very crime...(that's sarcasm by the way).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Gerrardasnails:

What, for having an opinion that doesn't sit with yours or shafesk? Please...

The OP posted his thoughts and opinions, he's probably right in what he says with regard to Behringer or pro-audio gear in general. But shafesk wades in with "Arcam user huh?" whatever that means and then states the CA DACMagic can't really be faulted (my words).

You don't like the Behringer for its looks - fair enough, the OP looks beyond that (wisely) and gets a benefit he thinks is better than those offered by the CA DAC. Problem is what? A different take?

God, the very crime...(that's sarcasm by the way).

No RS. As usual, you take a bone and run away with it. I'm not knocking the Golden Ears for this one post - he was on an advertising campaign - you know like you with obscure second hand gear (sarcasm).

I don't think I was alone in not liking the Behringer for its looks. I think you are alone in siding with the Golden One.

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi Golden Ears

Little bit of subject but i guess you bought the DacMagic in Hi-Fi Klubben? I was in there shop yesterday looking at various products DacMagic being one of them.I guess you returned your DacMagic after not liking it,how was the service?money back etc?

Im new to this game and have only bought in soundgarden so have no experience with Hi-Fi Klubben,im hope to add to my set up but Soundgarden have nothing in my budget for now so its Hi-Fi Klubben or nothing!

Golden Ears

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I can see the display as being an issue for some but I don't look at my system while listening ;) There are a few lights that are bright on the front! Would of been a bonus to have a defeat button but the unit really is intended for studios and the like ;) I have found a few good reviews now for the uinit and a couple neither here nor there. I enjoyed his mention of a mod possibility. Maybe I'll buy another thats been mod fitted for comparison! What are your music tastes?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Golden Ears:Yeah I can see the display as being an issue for some but I don't look at my system while listening ;) There are a few lights that are bright on the front! Would of been a bonus to have a defeat button but the unit really is intended for studios and the like ;) I have found a few good reviews now for the uinit and a couple neither here nor there. I enjoyed his mention of a mod possibility. Maybe I'll buy another thats been mod fitted for comparison! What are your music tastes?

Have you tried the Beresford DACs? - a lot of people love them on here.

I like a bit of everything I suppose. I discover new stuff more and more.

A

Anonymous

I find the DACmagic a very useful modestly-priced upgrade for my Squeezeboxes, and the sound entirely satisfactory, infact very good. I did have to experiment with filter settings, but I would not hesitate to recommend one to be auditioned.

Thin bass? I think that may be as much a factor of the OPs other kit and system-matching, than any electronic signature of the DAC. With Focus 110a's and a Velodyne 80 SPL ultra, I have actually had to wind back the bass and bung the Dyn's.

I doubt if I could tell the difference between a modded psu DAC and otherwise, Ditto fancy cables, but each to his own.

DACmagic is not the be all and end all, but it is a good performer in it's class and price band.

Golden Ears

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Iv'e only tried the SRC2496, Cambride DAC MAgic in my system. I have had the pleasure of hearing (in my father inlaws system) Mark Levinson's DAc in the 3 box CD system PSU, Transport and DAC another league! Also a STello DAC in a friends system (very nice). I have heard a few others in friends of my father inlaws I can't remember their names. I did enjoy the Audio Note presentation at Manchesters hi fi show a good few years ago that system really was awesome. It was an 8 watt valave affair playing vynal and CD via their DAC One amazing stuff but a package costing around 11k it should be! That said some of the system's I've heard since moving to Norway (where hi fi is taken seriously!) have costed over 100k havn't moved me as much as the Audio Note! The Beresfordrange of DAC look nicely styled ;) I'm looking at selling the DAC Magic and I'll probably stay with the trusted (Brte) a while loknger as I've said numerous times the sound quality is exceptional for the money. I to lke to read about and test new stuff luckily I have a very rich father inlaw who often changes his system parts so enabling me to experience new components!

Golden Ears

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I have been a sceptic on cable performance changing a systems performance, until finally meeting a system which was able to shed light on poorly designed / made cables. Often introducing a new cable has a dramatic effect a plus or negative! I experienced Transparent Audio cables costing stupid amounts not performing any better than a DIY cable I put together! The owner was none to impressed! We could tell the difference between other leading manufacturers cables but often I feel the electronics play a large part as to if you will hear an improvement or not. Many of today electroncis have some many other noise introducing components in them that the best materials in the world will not made a bit of difference ;) For me I like a decent mains cable (supplying the electronics) shielded and well insulated ( I wire them up using the faraday cage priciple, only where a unit has and earth otherwise I like to wire the shield to the mains end!) Shielded Litz constructed interconnectors (hybrid silver platd & high purity copper also shielded) and I have found an amazing litz chasis wire to use for speaker cable!

T

the record spot

Gerrardasnails:
No RS. As usual, you take a bone and run away with it. I'm not knocking the Golden Ears for this one post - he was on an advertising campaign - you know like you with obscure second hand gear (sarcasm).

I don't think I was alone in not liking the Behringer for its looks. I think you are alone in siding with the Golden One.

The problem is what exactly? In both cases...the guys rates a different DAC for pete's sake, it's not a crime against humanity! Deal with it.

Oh and truly massive LOL over the "obscure secondhand gear" quip. Shame it falls flat on its face when I'm likely to suggest Sansui, Mission, KEF, Yamaha, and the like. Obviously, not household names there then. Doh!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
No Genelecs yet RS?

They would be perfect with that DAC (Golden Ears has plugged it enough, I am not going to name it again) and a Mac Mini.

You are holding up progress by hanging onto all that vintage, passive 'foo'
emotion-4.gif

You don't want to end up being thought of as a 'cable shaker' do you?

T

the record spot

Mentioned it many times now Chebby, I won't be making any changes any time soon. One day yes, but not for now. I like my present set-up quite nicely thanks and would need to spend a hell of a lot more to beat it. No need for a Mac thanks, Marantz and HP/Apple AE tick off the source count nicely. And the Missions aren't exactly shabby either, nice one Mr. Azima.

As for cable shaking, well, I leave that up to others to do/advocate/deride as appropriate.
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS