Cambridge Audio CXA80

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This is one amplifier (and matching streamer) which may sway me away from my cyrus system, based on tech specs and features. The lack of phono stage is not an issue as I use an external one.

Looks good too.

Any opinions and has anyone actually heard one?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
This is one amplifier (and matching streamer) which may sway me away from my cyrus system, based on tech specs and features. The lack of phono stage is not an issue as I use an external one.

Looks good too.

Any opinions and has anyone actually heard one?
Yes I heard one of the CXA when I took my CXN in for a potential issue. I can confirm it produced music! This is what CA have always done headline specs, features and good looks. But as to ultimate fidelity at given price I very much doubt it! They are good at steamers, to develope the upsampling, software, apps etc you need to spend big up front. Knowing you have a global infrastructure to sell quantities makes it easier.

matthewpiano

The 740A is one of the best amps I've ever owned and there are still times when I wish I'd kept it. If the new CX-series models are as good as the 740A was, they'll be as good as anything at or near their price.

Cambridge make super kit.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanking you both iQ and MatthewP

I did have the original 840A (and matching CD player) on extended home loan a few years ago and they didn't quite do it for me though I know they did for many.

I have not since listened to anything CA but have read that they are deliberately engineered to be more 'musical' now, rather than just technically superb, hence my question about this particular range.

Only one way to find out I guess.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I must admit im a self confessed CA snob, the CXN sounds amazing by the way! I only allowed it back due the brilliant spec and sound quality!

matthewpiano

When I had 740C, 740A and Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2 the sound was incredibly musical and involving. I've never subscribed to the 'clinical' view of CA products, though I have always felt that their entry-level products are significantly inferior to their mid-range offerings. CA's most decent affordable offering over the years has been the 340C CD player and 340A V2.0 amp. Anything below that has been very limited and compromised.

Hans Boorsma

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Before i start, i' am Dutch so maybe my English is a little rusty now and then.

I own a CXA80 for about two weeks now. Before the CXA80 I have owned a Virtue Audio M451 Sensation, a Marantz PM6005, a Cambridge Audio Minx Xi and a Cyrus 1.

Without a doubt the CXA is superior to all it's predecessors.

But before buying it i compared it to the CA Azur 851A, the Rotel RA12 and the Advance Acoustic X-i120 all in one session. The CXA came out best for me.

The thing i noticed immediatly was the seperation of the two channels, due to the seperate dual mono windings on the toroidal transformer i think.

Hope to have been of some help.

record_spot

I was never all that fussed for Cambridge until they brought out their 650A and 650C pairing that they featured on my radar. Having since bought the excellent 752BD universal player, and the release of the new range, they've become a serious contender for any future purchases I might consider.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
not spotted this one until now, one to look at along with Arcam A-19 and Roksan Kandy K2.....plus you get a DAC Magic mounted into the Cambridge! Sounds like cracking value if the sound is right...............at the moment all the customer reviews on it are very positive.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
For me im presonally looking to upgrade to a Bi-Amped system, so the CXA80 is no dice as looking into it, it can only be used as a pre-amp (i think). Think im back to an Arcam or Roksan setup along with something like an irDAC.......also the CXA80 doesnt have a phono stage, so for me i would have to add an external phono amp, which offsets any cost benefit from it including the CA Magic DAC.............that said it could be a very viable option for someone.

lorcar

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Hans Boorsma said:
Before i start, i' am Dutch so maybe my English is a little rusty now and then.

I own a CXA80 for about two weeks now. Without a doubt the CXA is superior to all it's predecessors.But before buying it i compared it to the CA Azur 851A, the Rotel RA12 and the Advance Acoustic X-i120 all in one session. The CXA came out best for me.

The thing i noticed immediatly was the seperation of the two channels, due to the seperate dual mono windings on the toroidal transformer i think.

I was thinking to get the little brother CXA60 (60W already enough for me), then I discovered this DUAL MONO Separation, only available on the CXA80. I wonder what really means and if it's really worth the price difference between the two.

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts