Cambridge Audio Azur 851a

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Demoed Cambridge Audio Azur 851a today along with Roksan Caspian M2 and Musical Fidelity M3si.

Used a CA 752Bd and Roksan something-or-other standmounts.

Not much between them but the CA 851a was detailed, smooth and easy to listen to.

I don't do 'foot tapping' but did to a couple of tracks.

Choice now between CA 851a, Icon Audio ST 40 and Marantz PM-14s1.

Marantz is now a Special Edition costing about £1800.

CA 851a is only £1200, less for 'open box'.

ST 40 is about £1800.

Heart says ST 40
Head says CA 851a

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been searching Internet for opinions, suggestions, tech info and so forth.

Consistent advice is that Quad 21L2's need lot's of power to properly control them.
Also some people are sensitive to crossover distortion even when very low measured levels.
Quad 21L2's dip to around 4 ohms at several frequencies.
They need careful amplifier pairing due to the midrange.
Suggestion that Cambridge Audio might be a bad partner for them but also valves bad as not powerful enough.

I heard the CA 851a with Roksan standmounts and they sounded great together.
CA 851a is a powerful well specified amp well under budget that should handle the Quads easily. Might not work well with the Quads though as CA forward or bright sounding.
I found this amp great in this regard though so not bright?

Marantz PM-14s1 sounded great but again with other speakers. Detailed yet easy to listen to.
Might be difficult to get home demo due to recent changes in the range affecting availability.

Icon Audio ST 40 MK iiim worked well with my speakers in a large room but I only need them to work well together in a small room.
Probably the most enjoyable Hifi demo I've had.
Not high power but zero crossover distortion due to class A?

Each amp has strengths and weaknesses

What to do?

Am I over thinking / analysing?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Mmmh. Been there.

Peer pressure is ever present (dont laugh). No matter how good the CA amplifier is, even if it is the best amplifier in the world, hypothetically, you will read many an opinion telling you otherwise and eventually, the pressure, that nagging feeling will get to you ... even though you know better and you probably will jump ship :)

Same with the Marantz probably.

With the Icon, you are one of few. You will not read endless threads on here about how bright, dull or otherwise it sounds meaning ... you will feel better about it even if it is nowhere near as good as the above two (it may be).

So, if you want my opinion ... buy Cyrus or BelCanto :)

drummerman said:
Mmmh. Been there.

Peer pressure is ever present (dont laugh). No matter how good the CA amplifier is, even if it is the best amplifier in the world, hypothetically, you will read many an opinion telling you otherwise and eventually, the pressure, that nagging feeling will get to you ... even though you know better and you probably will jump ship :)

With the Icon, you are one of few. You will not read endless threads on here about how bright, dull or otherwise it sounds meaning ... you will feel better about it even if it is nowhere near as good as the above two (it may be).

So, if you want my opinion ... buy Cyrus or BelCanto :)

Or Abrahamsen. :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Mmmh. Been there.

Peer pressure is ever present (dont laugh). No matter how good the CA amplifier is, even if it is the best amplifier in the world, hypothetically, you will read many an opinion telling you otherwise and eventually, the pressure, that nagging feeling will get to you ... even though you know better and you probably will jump ship  :)

So, if you want my opinion ... buy Cyrus or BelCanto  :)

?

Or Abrahamsen. :)

Or hegel

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Listen to the marantz pm8005 amp - compare them - it is less powerful - but if you prefer the sound (and it is very good) you will save a lot of money. I love the unbridled power and clarity of the cambridge 850 series but it is a little on the "dry side" - soundwise - bass and lower mids.

your choice - good luck tonky

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I think solid state will be more practical.
Also cheaper.
Some amps suggested are not suitable as I need at least 4 analogue inputs.
So Marantz PM8005 vs CA 851a.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
What am I talking about?
I only need 3 analogue inputs, the 4th is used occasionally.
Abrahamson is back on the menu!
Does what I want too, doubling of power in to 4 ohms.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:
Abrahamsen would be a nice compromise (IMO)

I have to be honest "compromise" was not an adjective I used when I heard it!
I meant a compromise between the sonic traits of Valves (Icon Audio) vs that of SS (CA)....it was meant as a complement.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:

Out of interest Steve, what speakers did you hear the Abrahamsen with? How would you describe its tonal character and general traits?

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I switched from a Marantz Pearl-lite to an 851a and have regretted it ever since.

But I only regret that I didn't go the whole hog and get the 851e/851w combo!

SteveR750

Leeps said:
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:

Out of interest Steve, what speakers did you hear the Abrahamsen with? How would you describe its tonal character and general traits?

There is a separate thread. I used it with my ATCs and a couple of IQ Speakers (aka Bogit) from Colin for the best part of an afternoon. It's big, dynamic and capable of driving all of them to 100dB + levels without any strain. In comparison, my old Caspian M2 would have clipped and become shouty and compressed long before we'd got to the same levels.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Leeps said:
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:

There is a separate thread. I used it with my ATCs and a couple of IQ Speakers (aka Bogit) from Colin for the best part of an afternoon. It's big, dynamic and capable of driving all of them to 100dB + levels without any strain. In comparison, my old Caspian M2 would have clipped and become shouty and compressed long before we'd got to the same levels.

Thank you Steve. Certainly looks interesting, although there's quite a bit of competition around that price bracket now. Certainly worth including in a shortlist anyway.

SteveR750

Leeps said:
SteveR750 said:
Leeps said:
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:

Thank you Steve. Certainly looks interesting, although there's quite a bit of competition around that price bracket now. Certainly worth including in a shortlist anyway.

I doubt much under £2k would be close to it. I found the Hegel to be noticeably better than the amps I listened to around the £3 - £4k range, and it is remarkably close to the Hegel, but of course you don't get the DAC, the headphone amp, and it's only half the rated power output.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts