Cambridge Audio 840 series v2 player and amplifier/Dacmagic

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just quickly start this one. I have the two 840 components at home plus the Dacmagic. Partnering speakers are Mezzo's and Kef's (dont ask, they where there, ok).

Can't say much at the moment, they've only been plugged in for a few hours, on continuous replay but the display on the amplifier packed in after about 5mins, not promising though it does'nt affect sound (perhaps it aids sound quality but I am literally in the dark about whats happening). Not to good.

PS. The display panel is lit but no info is shown.

A

Anonymous

I had reliabiltity problems with Cambridge kit too.

I had two of their DVD players, one of which teh picture calibration was waay off. Returned it for a replacement. The replacement blew something inside after 6 weeks, only working on one sound channel. Returned it for a refund.

My 640C (v1) cdp had a loud transformer buzz which I managed to ignore. I bought the V2 as it was supposed to be a big step up - and it was. After 8 months or so though I replaced my 640C V2 player as well, one morning switched it on and something "popped" inside and killed it.

The replacement has been going well now though!

I'm sure this was an isolated case and another example of my crappy luck!

Out of interest...why did you buy the Dacmagic if you have an 840C?

Was it for the USB input?

G.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just for fun. One or both will go back. To early to say mate. Plus I'm going to use an old denon player as transport so a variety of comparisons are possible.

A

Anonymous

Ohhh...a comparison I'm sure loads of Wammers are interested in.

Get those typing fingers ready m8!

A

Anonymous

Hmmmm, mayhaps Cambridge is seeing the folly of their offshore ways? Happened to nad a way back as well but they seem to have it reined in now.

Hows about building the higher-end kit back in the UK eh CACEO?

A

Anonymous

Initial thoughts? Forget the comparison for now, what's the initial impression?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:Some people have got their priorities all wrong!

i know, but drummermans seem fine
emotion-4.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:drummerman:Evening Igg. They're ok but I'm off out now chasing gals. Do it later or tomorrow.

I can picture it now:

"Wanna come back to my place an' see my DAC?"

More like ... ' would you like to experience my extremely upsampled bits ...' ... as opposed to oversampled, which probably would'nt go down to well.

In fairness to CA and MS I think its to early to state anything conclusive but so far they (CA player and amplifier) seem supremely refined and clean sounding. A bit like a sugden with balls. A very civilised way of making music though perhaps not overly energetic. DACmagic is on ice for the moment but I'll use it tomorrow.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:
Just quickly start this one. I have the two 840 components at home plus the Dacmagic. Partnering speakers are Mezzo's and Kef's (dont ask, they where there, ok).

Can't say much at the moment, they've only been plugged in for a few hours, on continuous replay but the display on the amplifier packed in after about 5mins, not promising though it does'nt affect sound (perhaps it aids sound quality but I am literally in the dark about whats happening). Not to good.

PS. The display panel is lit but no info is shown.

I'm sure mine has a dimmer setting - I always have mine in the dark. You should be able to change it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Its what you do with the time, not how long you spend on it ... but no, it was a wash out
emotion-1.gif

PS. Strange how quiet CA's CEO is, must be on a quality inspection tour of the far eastern plant ...

John Duncan

drummerman:PS. Strange how quiet CA's CEO is, must be on a quality inspection tour of the far eastern plant ...

Funny you should say that:

Cambridge Audio CEO:P.S. I'm off to Asia tonight so that's why I will be quiet for the next 10 days

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, I just picked a lemon. I'm sure they quality check the more expensive stuff when it arrives in the UK and the display obviously worked initially so there was no way they could have predicted the fault. Forgiven in light of good quality sound with all the CA stuff I got here.

Without going into another lengthy 'review' and bore you all to death just a few things on each part, all imo only so dont rely to much on it;

The 840A is a powerful, subtle and very refined amplifier. Very structural sound which stays so even at high volume, never looses composure. Nice depth, height and width to soundstage. Focus/transparency is better than any comparatively priced amplifier I've heard and better than some substantially more expensive ones too. If this had a 'fancier' name it would cost twice as much. Not so good are design (it looks agricultural compared to other hifi but at the price something has to give and I'd rather it would be on how it looks than what it sounds like). Slight grain in upper mid and and a little bit of thinning at high treble but again nothing that is wearing. Lower bass is solid and defined, mid bass is relatively dry and well controlled. This probably explaines some review differences. I can imagine some people find it a bit 'hifi' sounding and its not a product that would impress immediately in direct comparison with other more obvious sounding amplifiers but persevere and you will miss the clarity and unforced attack when going back to the afromentioned! Build quality seems fine apart from the display going dead after a short while. Speaker terminals are to close together and feel a bit feeble. Great connectivity and facilities. Its the amplifier the new Arcam FMJ28 should have been but never was.

840C; Highly detailed, transparent player which does pretty much everything well. Always fast and engaging. Can't say to much more on sound. I personally would'nt bother paying more for a cdp. Great facilities with digital ins and advanced Dac section. Dated looks.

DacMagic; great little box with lots of connectivity. Well built but could do with an on/off switch. Filter options are subtle but useful. Sound is very good using a Denon cdp as transport though increased soundstage width/height and some more 'presence' comes at slight cost to focus, punch and a little bit of depth to the stage but hey, you can't have it all at this price and if you have other sources that benefit from a good DAC its a no brainer, simple. The flipside is instrumental timbre and voices are very nice indeed. Dac choice (Wolfson 8740) is fine but I have been informed that the later 8741 is better with both CD and true 24bit material. As always though implementation is just as important as the parts. The new entry level Arcam uses that latter DAC and I found it wanting though their higher priced players are good. So, a great product. I can't say how it compares to a 740cdp but it clearly looses out to the 840 in most respects ie. bass accuracy, noise floor, focus and transparency, not really surprising but I hope this somewhat answers a few questions you had.

Nearly forgot, the amp is heavy with a monstrously large torroid. I had no hum problems but it does run hot, probably heavily biased to class A and clearly needs space above it.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
All of the above re: the 840a agreed Mr Drum Sir. I loves it. No experience of the DACMagic but decided to go for a good-offer 2nd hand Arcam CD92 (less than half the price of an 840c and wife on maternity!!!)

I suspect that purely due to the technology involved the DACMagic can't be as good as the 740/840c, but then that would be a serious marketing issue for CA if it was!!! I'm sure it's a great option for sticking Apple Lossless/FLAC files from a laptop through though...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
HDNumpty:All of the above re: the 840a agreed Mr Drum Sir. I loves it. No experience of the DACMagic but decided to go for a good-offer 2nd hand Arcam CD92 (less than half the price of an 840c and wife on maternity!!!)

I suspect that purely due to the technology involved the DACMagic can't be as good as the 740/840c, but then that would be a serious marketing issue for CA if it was!!! I'm sure it's a great option for sticking Apple Lossless/FLAC files from a laptop through though...

HD, is that the CD92 or 192 - you can get CD192s for £399 (rrp £900) at lots of places.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts