Cambridge Audio 740A vs Onkyo 875 re Music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone

Started of earlier this year as a newcomer with What Hi Fi specials - Onkyo 605 and Tannoy F1 5:1, great home cinema but very disappointed with music, so pre emptied the Magazine by upgrading the front end withTannoy F4s, good improvement but not quite there yet! Heard how musical the Onkyo 875 was in comparison to 605 and when it came down in price i couldn't resist, especially with the promise of pre-outs if absolutely necessary. Again very noticeable improvement. Many CD players at home, none of them great, so last week picked up the new CA Dac Magic which turned out to be the must subtle improvement so far.

With thanks to fellow member Bay 24 who posted under Hot Deals a stunning deal at Richers of a CA 740A for £499 and they throw in the 740C CDP for free!! I am now thinking of cashing back the Dac Magic at £200 and for 'only' £299 more, buying the above. Most of what i have read puts the Dac Magic on a par with the 740C. The big question is........will the CA 740A be a significant musical upgrade on the Onkyo (and worth the extra £299) ?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

matthewpiano

The 740A is an incredible amplifier and will eat the Onkyo alive for music replay. When I purchased mine I put it up against Naim Nait 5i, various Arcams, Audiolab 8000S, the top Rotel, Marantz PM7001KI-SIG and it was, for me, the clear winner. The 740A is detailed, musical, dynamic and lovely to use.

Only issue might be that I don't if Richers are still doing the HFC deal on the CD and amp together. However, I paid full price for my units and love them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts