Cambridge Audio 640P phono stage or Onkyo 875 phono input

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have my Technics 1200 TT hooked up directly to an Onkyo 875 (built in phono stage) and i am not 100% satisfied with the level and sound quality. I receive a higher than acceptable hum and the output level is relatively low.

If i switch to using the Cambridge Audio 640P as my phono stage does anyone know if i will notice any improvement in either or both amplification quality and noise reduction?

Many Thanks

BCK

A

Anonymous

I'm currently using a basic Stanton 500 AL v.3, another reason for picking up the 640P - i want to upgrade to a Moving Coil cart (probably a Dynavector DV10x5).

It's all earthed fine but i'm still getting a low hum (i checked by completely removing the ground wire and the hum almost doubled).

John Duncan

In which case it makes sense to go for the 640p anyway, since you can only see an improvement in separation, noise floor, blah blah over the Onkyo. Note however that a) the 640p is probably still quieter than line level sources (having compared it to my cd player like for like there's a distinct difference) and b) no phono stage will be completely hum-free anyway - when you turn up the volume (very high) there is a definite hum from the Cambridge as well. Isolation of your deck and the 640 from other components will help here as the voltages from a cartridge are so small that interference becomes more of an issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts