Cambridge Audio 640aV2 not compatible with Kef iQ5se?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Bit of a strange one this.

I recently bought some Kef iQ5se's to go with my 640aV2 and 640cV2, however, when getting to about 11o'clock on the dial, the CAP5 protection cuts in and I have to turn the amp off and on again to reset.

The CAP5 gives 3 flashes, so its not an overheating issue, alas the amp isn't overly hot when it cuts out.

The amp is on its own shelf and is well ventilated. All cabling has been checked and all connections are tidy and tight. I'm using decent cable too, QED Silver Anniversary.

I previously ran some B&W 601s2 and they have similar spec, 8ohm, 88dB sensivity etc, but the amp never cut out, it would be rediculously loud by 11:30 on the dial, and would go higher if needed.

I'm not trying to create a disco type environment or anything here, but occassionally I like the music pretty loud. I just need a whisker more volume and I'll be overjoyed, I'm not expecting to be able to crank it to 12 o'clock even, it really is just a "bit" more that I'm after. At present normal listening is about 10o'clock on the dial, but as the night goes on it inevitably gets nudged up...

There is no clipping (dial doesn't ****** back at all either), no distortion and the speakers sound amazing. The system sounds superb and I'm very happy, its just this annoying max volume issue.

Cambridge Audio tech support tell me that although the iQ5se are rated at 8ohm, they specify 3.2ohm min, and the CAT5 cuts in at/below 4ohm, and therefore my speakers aren't compatible!

Most speaker manufacturers don't specify a minimum impedence for their speakers, so I'm not really sure what to do now to be honest.

Any ideas people? Thanks in advance/anticipation!

Tom.

A

Anonymous

Well I've spoken to RS and I'm taking speakers and amp in on Monday to play about with kit, and have been offered the 650a for £50 in exchange for my 640aV2, or I can have a full refund on the speakers. Look forward to seeing what comes of it!!

A

Anonymous

Well 100% thumbs up for Richer Sounds.After a couple of hours in store, I am now the proud owner of a 650A and some Morduant Short Alevio 6, and I only had to pay the difference, considering the amp is a good 3 years old, thats amazing service.Only had a couple of hours listening at home, so the kit still needs lots of hours to run in, but already I'm VERY pleased. I found the 640A and iQ5se combo very energetic and detailed, but a bit tiring to listen too as it was really a bit too bright for me. The new pairing seems much more rounded, losing perhaps a bit of the delicacy of my previous set up, but packing more of a punch when needed to. This new setup has no problems with loud volumes either and has much more headroom.Overall I'm very pleased.Only downside is the Mrs is very displeased with how big they are, they do look a tad big for the room, but I think its a compromise worth paying!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts