Cambridge Audio 640a v1 problems - time for a new system?

Brick_Top

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm after some advice from people with experience with my equipment.

I have a Cambridge Audio 640a V1, which was purchased from new some years ago and is no doubt out of the 5 yr warranty now.

My inputs are a Cambridge Audio 640C, and the TV/AUX cable.

Speakers are Pinnacle Classic Gold Tower http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/cgtower.html and are bi wired into the 4 outputs on the amplifier.

I have been very happy with this system for years now, I live in a semi detached house so can't turn the wick up too much although the speakers are far more capable than the amplifier.

The reason I'm posting this, is because I have encountered an intermittant fault with the amplifier. Basically the left channel goes crackly - it seems to do this when you first turn the amp on, and the crackle can be manipulated with the balance control. The right channel does seem to be affected too but only slightly.

It has happened when using more than one input, it does seem to resolve itself shortly after the amp warms up.

When I first bought the amplifier I didn't have the speakers, but I wonder now I have this fault which is the best direction to go in.

1) repair the 640A - any ideas how much this is likley to cost? I'm guessing its a trip to Richer Sounds

2) get a different intergrated amplifier - but which one? Money is tight at the moment as I am working very much part time due to a long term head injury.

3) get a second hand pre amp and a power amp, add another power amp later to bi amp. I could do this relatively cheaply with something like a Rotel RC/RB 850 - I know nothing about these amps but there seem to be plenty available second hand

I'm guessing the cheapest option is to get the amp repaired, but is that good value for money? Would I be better off risking spending that money ona second hand amplifier system and if so which one would suit my needs?

I liked the 640a, only thing that annoyed me about it was trying to listen to music at low volumes, the left speaker would kick in long before the right so difficult to enjoy music at low volumes - poor build quality I think?

Cheers

Conrad

Brick_Top

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Spoken to a guy at Richer Sounds and he reckons it could cost as little as £50 to repair the amp, and that a similar amp would cost £300 these days so probably best to get it repaired.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts