Cambridge Audio 640 Combo - Best Speakers to match? Clare? Andrew? Anyone?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, last year i bought the Cambridge Audio 640 CDP/ Amp combo, directly as a result of this mags recommendation, fantastic buy - thank-you WHF, i'm now looking to upgrade my speakers, don't know where to start really, i'm hoping someone on here can help me draw up some kind of shortlist for me to demo.

Criteria:

Speakers that have caught my eye - not ears yet, not demoed any, are B&W CM1's - nice compact size, concerned about their sensitivity though with my amp, and the 685's basically just cos they are B&W- i've heard that B&W are good with rock music, and the fact the ports are front firing, which i'm informed, should be able to be placed closer to a rear and side wall than their rear firing counterparts.

Budget - Max £ 750, inc stands - i've heard that if spending under £1000, go with standmounts.

Room - Sixe is 4.5m x 5.5m Thick pile carpet 2 + 3 seater leather sofa, open plan staircase....

Speaker Position - in corners of the 4.5m wall, when i say in the corners, i mean as close as i can, prob will get away with pulling them out 18". My position will be 4m away from each of these speakers. Live in a semi detached house, one of these speakers will be on the adjoining wall.

Music Tastes - Rock, Metal. Anything from Def Leppard to Slipknot.

Other - Want a speaker that looks pleasing to the wife's eye, even if it means me saying "look, they do look nice, you'll get used to them, dear :)... Whilst delivering a sound that is, well, i want to hear everything from the deep sharp thud of a kick drum to every cymbal crash.

Upgrade - Wanting a speaker that will be not be out of place when i upgrade my amp or cdp.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I'm hear to listen and learn.

A

Anonymous

Why dont you audition your CA with Monitor Audio BR5 or Wharfedale diamond series, both value for money speakers, though.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Team_BHP"]Why dont you audition your CA with Monitor Audio BR5 or Wharfedale diamond series, both value for money speakers, though.[/quote]

Thanks for your input, i will make a note of your suggestions, anyone else? Please remember that i will be hoping to upgrade my amp and source within the next 18 months and want a speaker now that will not be outshadowed then. Also remember my speakers postioning.
Thanks anyway.
Any input is gratfully received.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
it's good you let us know about your future upgrades it makes easier to recommend a speaker,this one. rega r3.a floorstander under a grand that works close to a rear wall and can take a major upgrade in the future.don't know why you should be concerned about spending under a grand on a floorstander,there are some seriously great design's out there.as you have ca gear the tannoy eyris 2 at richer is £500.00 knocked down from £1000.00.sex swears by them and he used ca gear.

A

Anonymous

Cheers, anyone else.?
I'm mostly - i think - concerned about thier placement.
The regas have a side firing port? Interesting?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hello

I listen alot to Rock & Metal (anything from System of a Down to Metallica / Iron Maiden) but i also listen to alot of Electronic and chill-out music (Fischerspooner, Daft Punk, Air, Leftfield, Underworld etc...) and find that B&W speakers are perfect for this type of music. Crisp and bassy (tight punchy bass, not flappy bass)

I am currently running Arcam 9 & 9P amps with an Arcam 6 CD player (soon to be changed) with B&W 602S2 stand-mount speakers. I have gone through using Kef, Acoustic Energy, Mission and Monitor Audio and still dont feel that any of them can better B&W.

It may be worth your while looking @ Ebay for some 2nd hand B&W speakers and save yourself some money for future upgrades etc... There are plenty of B&W spekers on Ebay currently (including my 602 S2's and Atacama SE24 stands). If you go through the auctions enough you'll fine some really good examples on Ebay of B&W speakers that are in mint condition and ready to use without having to 'break them in gently' as you do with all new speakers.

Let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Hello

I listen alot to Rock & Metal (anything from System of a Down to Metallica / Iron Maiden) but i also listen to alot of Electronic and chill-out music (Fischerspooner, Daft Punk, Air, Leftfield, Underworld etc...) and find that B&W speakers are perfect for this type of music. Crisp and bassy (tight punchy bass, not flappy bass)

I am currently running Arcam 9 & 9P amps with an Arcam 6 CD player (soon to be changed) with B&W 602S2 stand-mount speakers. I have gone through using Kef, Acoustic Energy, Mission and Monitor Audio and still dont feel that any of them can better B&W.

It may be worth your while looking @ Ebay for some 2nd hand B&W speakers and save yourself some money for future upgrades etc... There are plenty of B&W spekers on Ebay currently (including my 602 S2's and Atacama SE24 stands). If you go through the auctions enough you'll fine some really good examples on Ebay of B&W speakers that are in mint condition and ready to use without having to 'break them in gently' as you do with all new speakers.

Let us know how you get on.[/quote]

Cheers, Thanks for replying, have you heard the new range from B&W?
Just wondered how they compered to to old S2 and S3 range.
Also, how about the CM range?
Regards.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Rock Man"][quote user="d_a_n1979"]Hello

Let us know how you get on.[/quote]

Cheers, Thanks for replying, have you heard the new range from B&W?
Just wondered how they compered to to old S2 and S3 range.
Also, how about the CM range?
Regards.[/quote]

Hello Rock Man

I have heard the new B&W speakers apart from the 683's

The 685's are brilliant speakers, but to be honest, with the music i listen too, i couldnt really make tell much difference between them. My personal opinion was that my B&W 602 S2's were more bassy/punchy than the 685's but the 602 S2's are bigger. I also prefer the look, but again thats just personal preference.

The CM range speakers are fantastic, again the standmounts arent to my tatse to be honest but the CM7's are amazing. My girlfriend's parents have just gone and bought a Cyrus 8 amp and CD player to go with some CM7's and they sound fantastic. If only i had a spare £2k haha...

A

Anonymous

Cheers Dan.

How far from rear and side walls are :

1 - Your 685's?
2 - Your parents CM7's?

Maybe i ought to up my budget, so when i do my next upgrade, amp or cdp, it wont be bottlenecked by sub £750 speakers. ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Clare, Andrew, i would greatly value your opion and experience, if you can spare me a few moments of your busy time.
Regards

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Rock Man"]Cheers Dan.

How far from rear and side walls are :

1 - Your 685's?
2 - Your parents CM7's?

Maybe i ought to up my budget, so when i do my next upgrade, amp or cdp, it wont be bottlenecked by sub £750 speakers. ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Clare, Andrew, i would greatly value your opion and experience, if you can spare me a few moments of your busy time.
Regards[/quote]

Hello again

I dont have the 685's sorry, just auditioned them in a similar room to mine. I've currently got B&W 602 S3's and B&W 602 S2's (which im selling now on Ebay)

They were both placed about 18" from the side wall and about 10" from the rear wall and sounded great, the good thing about them is that they have a foward firing bass port so they can be placed close to a wall without too much boom.

My girlfriend's parents have the CM7's with their Cyrus amp and CD player and those speakers are about 18" from both side and rear wall as they have rear-firing bass ports so need more room to 'breathe' so to speak.

From the size of your room, i dont think you need floorstanders. Standmounts will be more than adequate. My 602 S2's give out plenty of punch, morer so and better than a lot of floorstanding speakers i've auditioned!

A

Anonymous

MA, Mission, B&W and Epos are popular choices here. You cannot go wrong with any of them. Personally I'd pair them up with an MA out of the four.

BS/FS - choice is yours. Just listen a few tracks and if bass from a bookshelf makes you happy go for it, or else.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ranjeetrain"]MA, Mission, B&W and Epos are popular choices here. You cannot go wrong with any of them. Personally I'd pair them up with an MA out of the four.

BS/FS - choice is yours. Just listen a few tracks and if bass from a bookshelf makes you happy go for it, or else.[/quote]

The speakers mentioned above are good, more so the M/A BR2's but to be honest, with an Arcam set-up i think the best speaker choice would be B&W, but that is my opinion.

I have auditioned M/A with Arcam and didnt find that they could match the same detail as B&W. Mission i've never liked, just think the bass is too flappy and midrange is a little harsh and Epos, well i've never auditioned them.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"][quote user="ranjeetrain"]MA, Mission, B&W and Epos are popular choices here. You cannot go wrong with any of them. Personally I'd pair them up with an MA out of the four.

BS/FS - choice is yours. Just listen a few tracks and if bass from a bookshelf makes you happy go for it, or else.[/quote]

The speakers mentioned above are good, more so the M/A BR2's but to be honest, with an Arcam set-up i think the best speaker choice would be B&W, but that is my opinion.

I have auditioned M/A with Arcam and didnt find that they could match the same detail as B&W. Mission i've never liked, just think the bass is too flappy and midrange is a little harsh and Epos, well i've never auditioned them. [/quote]

Many thanks, to all who have contributed, will have to go and listen, at least now i have - at least as manufactuers go - a shortlist.
Which model - bearing in mind my origional question, should i look at from MA?
Has anyone here compared B&W CM 1 and thier cheaper cousins the 685's.
Clare or Andrew, i would love to know your opions on these two speakers. Or your input on my querry.
Thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts