Calling Sonos user (or any wirless hifi experts)?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I need a multi rooms system and currently using Yamaha MusicCast system (the main unit is also working as a Transport in my main rig, sound fantastic
emotion-21.gif
) the problem is the pub's bar area and restaurant are quite a fair bit away from main server with few brick walls in between there for sometime the signal from server to clients become very weak (winter is worst for some reason). Some night we don't even have any music in the restaurant for hours
emotion-12.gif
which take away a romantic/nicer atmosphere.

Would sonos system give me the same problem? or Is there anyway I can keep my MusicCast (which I love to) and improved the wireless signal connections? Any other alternative (must be wireless)?

Thanks in advance

your TM.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The thing with the SONOS system is if you find your player in the restaurent zone can't communicate with the player plugged into your router (you have to do this to talk to the PC or NAS that your music is stored on) you can buy a relatively cheap Zonebridge to place in between them to fill the gap in the coverage. In fact you could buy as many zonebridges as you need to fill the gap, or use another zoneplayer for a different area to do the same job.

Just be aware that SONOS DOESN'T include any form of storage, it's a streaming system not a storage system, you have to sort that out yourself.

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Well, JD will disagree for reasons I still don't fully understand but if you have an empty, safely located plug socket and the MusicCast unit you want in the pub/restaurant has an ethernet connection then homeplug networking will sort this out. Even if this degrades your sound (and I don't believe it will) it isn't going to be noticeable in a noisy pub.

If it must be wireless then look at using a wireless range extender.

Sonos uses a Mesh network which essentially means each unit is also a transmitter such that that signal strength is a function of how far apart each Sonos is rather than the distance each Sonos is from your wireless router.

John Duncan

ianandyr:
Well, JD will disagree for reasons I still don't fully understand but if you have an empty, safely located plug socket and the MusicCast unit you want in the pub/restaurant has an ethernet connection then homeplug networking will sort this out. Even if this degrades your sound (and I don't believe it will) it isn't going to be noticeable in a noisy pub.

If it must be wireless then look at using a wireless range extender.

Sonos uses a Mesh network which essentially means each unit is also a transmitter such that that signal strength is a function of how far apart each Sonos is rather than the distance each Sonos is from your wireless router.

I'll try to explain my objections - I have heard very strong interference in a good system when there's an "ethernet through the mains" thingie plugged in, particularly in the vinyl playing bit, which is a bummer if you've paid five hundred quid for your interconnect and want to hear your system at its very best. In circumstances like this, I really wouldn't have an issue with it, since it's not exactly a critical application.

Otherwise, the idea of a wireless range extender is a good one - Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, Airport Express, that sort of thing.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys

I am on the case of extended signal first, if it still play up then sonos may be on the January sale shopping list.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts