Calling all Yamaha AV receiver owners

hifianorak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
G'day All

I am new to the HD audio formats and have a Yamaha RX V 1800 AV receiver.

I have my Sony Bluray player linked to my Yammy receiver by HDMI and for instance, playing Avatar, I selected the DTS HD MA soundtrack for playback on the Bluray player. I've no interest whatsoever in the Yamaha's range of 'sound processing' and just want to listen to the afore mentioned DTS HD MA soundtrack au naturelle.

So I have assumed that I listen back in straight mode? The Yammy then displays 'Straight' PCM on the display. Is that right and what I should be seeing?

I also tried out the same disk on a DVD disk using Dolby Digital and this time was expecting to see DD.5.1 come up on the display, but instead all I get is ' Straight PCM'. Again is this correct?

I am an HD audio virgin, so please be gentle with me !

Many thanks for any help.

Hifi Anorak

Regards

Hifi Anorak

A

Anonymous

I think you want the "pure direct" mode selected, that gets rid of all the sound processing bits and bobs.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You have the blu-ray player decoding the soundtrack, which is why you only see pcm on the amp display, you need to set the player to bitstream the audio to the amp so the amp decodes the audio, then you'll see the appropriate code displayed on the amp.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm not completely sure but it sounds as though you need to set BD player to Bitstream so it sends signal to amp so amp can decode HD Audio and then I guess straight mode. Surely you should see on amp HD lighted up on display panel.

The Lhc beat me to it lol.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
If I recall correctly, you can set the Pure Direct to affect video and audio, or one or the other in the set-up menu. This may depend on the model.

David, he has the Marantz 1501.

looking at the manual online it seems you can run auto setup initially and then go back into setup and check distances,levels,xover etc... manually,then return to main and press enter.

hope this makes sense.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Sorry - read the first post with the OP using a Yamaha. It obviously became sidetracked somewhere...I'll butt out!

i searched forums and he had previously expressed his happiness in a new purchase of the Marantz 1501.

But as title says calling Yammy owners, RXV1800

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
A million sorrys only i GOT side tracked so i do apologise, i have been posting in other threads and have been confused. tired i guess.

sorry peeps

hifianorak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Gentlemen,

Success!

I am using a Sony BDPS 760 and you set this to direct and not bitstream on this particular model to get the HD audio soundtracks.

Many thanks for all your help.

TRENDING THREADS