Calling all Sony STRDAxxxx owners

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm getting fed-up with the wait for the Yamaha RX-V1900, so I'm looking around. The Sony STRDA5300 / 5400 and others attracted my attention as it looks like they can have LOADS of gear attached and easily viewable. I've looked at the manuals etc.

Could someone confirm the following... If all the HDMI inputs were connected, AND the composite inputs too, is it easy enough to switch between any of the HDMI inputs and the composites? If it is, then the 5300 for example can cope with 6 HDMI devices and 6 composite AV devices... is this the case?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
surroundsteve:
Hi,

I'm getting fed-up with the wait for the Yamaha RX-V1900, so I'm looking around. The Sony STRDA5300 / 5400 and others attracted my attention as it looks like they can have LOADS of gear attached and easily viewable. I've looked at the manuals etc.

Could someone confirm the following... If all the HDMI inputs were connected, AND the composite inputs too, is it easy enough to switch between any of the HDMI inputs and the composites? If it is, then the 5300 for example can cope with 6 HDMI devices and 6 composite AV devices... is this the case?

How many do you need??!

In theory, yes. I have the 3400es. I use hdmi 1, 2 and 4. I just click the relevant button on the remote. If I wanted to use one of the composite connections, I could assign one to Video 1, another to Video 2, another to TV, another to SAT and then assign the audio to that connection. When I wanted to switch from say HDMI 2, to composite 3, I would just press say, Video 2 (which would be linked to composite 3). I would imagine that the 5400es has more buttons on the remote as it has more connectivity. I find it very straight forward but I only have three options to worry about.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Gerrardsnails... I'm a greedy git, eh?!

I want AV inputs for;

BluRay (HDMI)

XBox (HDMI)

HDD Recorder (HDMI) + output via composite

DVD-R/VCR (Composite) + output via composite

Sky+ (Composite)

PS2 (Composite)

Wii (Component)

TV/Freeview (probably just audio if there isn't a spare AV input)

Other Audio only;

CD (Phono)

MP3 Harddrive (Phono)

(The plan is to run just the one HDMI out to the T)

I'd like to keep the front connections free for occasional video-camera use.

The Audio INs aren't the problem, but alot of amps don't have enough simultaneous inputs to handle 6 AV devices without 'doubling-up' (ie HDMI and composite for the same device) and then some hassle re-assigning when you want to watch one of the doubled devices. It looks from the manuals that the Sonys allow a bit more flexibility with their inputs... hopefully!

Cheers for the feedback!

TRENDING THREADS