Calling all Plinius users

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently upgraded my cables and didnt like the effect on my Plinius M8 P10 combo. The Atlas Asimi sound amazing, but it just seems to have been overly sharp on the bass. Would upgrading the amp to ref help or will the sound stay the same. Its hard to demo the ref.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a Plinius user, so I hope you don't mind me replying.

I have heard the Asimi and Mavros, and on the system it was on, preferred the Mavros.

The Asimi are solid silver and incredibly revealing, and in some systems, I'm sure would be ideal.

There is no doubt that going for the remarkable Class A (SA-Ref) would be very different (and imo much better). Without trying it with the Asimi in your room, it is near impossible to know if the problem would resolve itself.

Without going to the lofty heights of the Ref, there is always the SA-103.

In case it's a cable issue, you should also look at:

- Atlas Mavros (if you haven't already)

- Vertere Pulse X Ref / Pulse R

- Telurium Q Graphite

- Cardas Clear.

A

Anonymous

Don't mind - I should have headed this advice before buying.

Most amps and cables add to the sound, but feel the Plinius doesn't and the cables dont either, so you end up with a very clean bass. I guess I like "coloured" music.

I'll either sell P10's and upgrade or sell Asimi for Audioquest Sky.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you can borrow stuff, try one of the SA series amps, which I think would be a very (very) good match with the Platinum speakers....FWIW. The Asimi is one of the best cables on the planet.

If you go the cable route, do try some of the stuff I mentioned.....the AQ Sky is excellent, but at that money, it is worth trying worthy alternatives. At the end of the day, if nothing works, you may have to address your room acoustics.

Good luck with your search, and report in with what you decide

Happy New Year

Cno

A

Anonymous

I got my Asimi's cheap (cough) but three of them meant over £3k. I avoided the Sky after knowing they work amazing with Plinius :( as I was second hand shopping and they have too many fakes. I think your right though. "worse" cable at source (like CDP) may infuse some exagerated bass. My friend and neighbour has some Atlas Hyper which I will be rushing home now to test - will report back if this works.

The asimi's are like "nothing" which is spellbinding and addictive, so temptation is more class A power - as you may have said, the asimi only reveals whats really there.

When you say the SA series - you mean the ref amps from Plinius?

PS - the sky is also solid silver but warmer - wonder if its colouring?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My preference is for Class A (I am referring to the Plinius SA-103 / SA-Ref), which has an organic naturalness that AB doesn't have (imo).....this will be passed on with the Asimi.

If you only change i/c, you may be best avoiding Silver......I think you might find the Cardas Clear or Clear Light also would be very detailed and revealing, but with just a hint of warmth.

I think the hint of warmth can come from the i/c, but is much better from a Class A amp.......Audio Analogue, Sugden (Masterclass) and Musical Fidelity (AMS) also do great ones.

My advice is not to rush this decision and check alternatives.

A

Anonymous

Phew. .... A set of mavros speaker cables arrived tonight (same second hand deal as asimi), and omg the bass is back and the treble is perfect. It's the cleanest sound I ever heard. Was using audioquest flx cables as temps.

Jeees. I can't believe the speaker cable was killing the bass and sharpening the very high treble so much.

Problem is the mavros were for second room as only 2m so only one speaker is hooked up lol, but what a difference.

Ok, disaster averted. Just need a 6m length of mavros and I'm set for life :D

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
......I think you might find the Cardas Clear or Clear Light also would be very detailed and revealing, but with just a hint of warmth....

I used Golden Reference between sources be it turntable or cdp's, as above but with added rosyness and they worked a treat with the a/b Chord i had.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
woollyjoe said:
Phew. .... A set of mavros speaker cables arrived tonight (same second hand deal as asimi), and omg the bass is back and the treble is perfect. It's the cleanest sound I ever heard. Was using audioquest flx cables as temps.

Jeees. I can't believe the speaker cable was killing the bass and sharpening the very high treble so much.

Problem is the mavros were for second room as only 2m so only one speaker is hooked up lol, but what a difference.

Ok, disaster averted. Just need a 6m length of mavros and I'm set for life :D

The Mavros is really good cable, and I found it more natural......glad you got sorted.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shooter said:
CnoEvil said:
......I think you might find the Cardas Clear or Clear Light also would be very detailed and revealing, but with just a hint of warmth....

I used Golden Reference between sources be it turntable or cdp's, as above but with added rosyness and they worked a treat with the a/b Chord i had.

They seem to have droped it from their range.......but as you know, I totally agree.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts