Calling ALL Airport Express Gurus - please help!!!

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
|(

This will not surprise many on here, but someone else is having AE issues!!

This is not the first time I have had them, so I wouldn't call myself a total beginner in this field! Many moons ago I had issues with my O2 Broadband ("BBII") router and connecting the AE as a 'client' to that existing network. See here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-music/airport-express-installation-with-o2-b-band

Now recently we called O2 and they offered to send out their newest router. Exciting - I'm sure you'll all agree! This new router was probably about 5-6 years newer than the old BBII router we had and had the latest 'n' wireless protocol (is that what it is called?). The old BBII was only 'b/g'.

Last night I unpacked the new O2 Broadband router - which is version 5 of 'V' ("BBV") and set it up on the computer and to the internet, without fuss. I knew I would have issues connecting the AE to the network so read up on my thread above to familiarise myself with what to do.

I pluged the AE into the router using a ethernet cable and reset the AE. I then opened the Airport Utility application and waited for it to scan the now reset AE (for those who don't know, the AE runs as a 'client' or a 'base station'. I wanted to use it as the former.

I should point out the AE is a very old 'b/g' AE - not a newer 'n' AE.

The Utility found the now reset AE and I started to configure the AE to connect to our existing O2 network. Using the 'Airport' tab, I told it to 'Join an existing network' and proceed to input the Broadband Name of my network before clicking on the Security button to update the AE with our new security.

My old BBII router was a WEP based security - so used the 40 bit encryption and typed in the 10 character password. The new BBV router is a WPA/WP2 (I think that is right) security. No problem - the AE allows this. So input the 10 digit password - under this selection (WPA) and left it as 'Plain Text' rather than 'Hex'. Clicked ok and updated the AE - seemed to suggest it would work.

But, you guessed it, it didn't!! The AE is flashing Amber!!

I'm am totally stuck. Having read a few things I am concerned that:

The old 'b/g' AE will not work well with my new 'n' BBV router.... I don't want to really sacrifice setting my new router to run on only 'b/g' network 'speed'.

I might have to fork out another £80 or so on a newer AE base station... as it is 'n' protocol.

I have an AppleTV - and this morning set that up to talk to my BBV router - sorted NO PROBLEMS!! (the ATV is SO much easier to set up than an AE IMO!!!)

Why oh why is it being so difficult!?!? Is the AE not liking the WPA security? (I've also tried inputting it under the WEP security level on the AE but that doesn't work either).

I wondered if it could be firewall issues? But never experienced this before....

Any help boys and girls would be very much appreciated. I get so very frustrated with technology when it gets like this. I spent about 2 hours last night trying to sort it and whilst I don't get paid a massive wage, I'm tempted just to fork out £80 for the new one if I know it will work to save me wasting yet more of my evenings faffing around with it!!

All help/comments very much appreciated!!

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
Router needs to be in mixed mode g/n and use WPA-TKIP.

Hmm. Think I understand your first point (although not sure how to do that, or if is possible on the O2 Version 5 router), but I don't understand the second part - 'TKIP'??

I am under the impression that if I get the router to use 'g' to allow the AE to connect (assuming that is possible) then the router will only be broadcasting on 'g' mode. I have an ipad/iphone plus ATV, and would like to benefit from the increased transfer rate that 'n' provides...

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Well, the 1st generation Airport Express is a pain.

Incidentally, I bought an AirPort Extreme router & set it up only today. Believe it or not, my AirPort Express does not connect to this either! |(

Is yours a 1st gen too? Maybe it is the same problem - the Extreme will want to do things in 'n' and the AE will only do 'b/g'!!

I'm completely stuck here and it drives me mental!
I have a synology DS212j and Sonos system to attach to the router. I bloody well hope they connect ok!!

PJ1200 said:
bigboss said:
Well, the 1st generation Airport Express is a pain.

Incidentally, I bought an AirPort Extreme router & set it up only today. Believe it or not, my AirPort Express does not connect to this either! |(

Is yours a 1st gen too? Maybe it is the same problem - the Extreme will want to do things in 'n' and the AE will only do 'b/g'!!

I'm completely stuck here and it drives me mental!
I have a synology DS212j and Sonos system to attach to the router. I bloody well hope they connect ok!!

Hmmm...maybe you're right. I'll go to Genius Bar on Saturday & see what they say. They're known to replace old for new at a discounted price....otherwise I'll return the Extreme.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Make sure

- New stations are allowed automatically

- Encrpytion set to use WPA-PSK

- WPA-PSK version is set to WPA (if its set to WPA2 it wont work).

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
AnotherJoe said:
Make sure

- New stations are allowed automatically

- Encrpytion set to use WPA-PSK

- WPA-PSK version is set to WPA (if its set to WPA2 it wont work).

:cheers: :cheer: :cheers:

HERO!!

Mate - all sorted! Changed the settings on the router to Automatic and enabled only WPA and tried the AE again - firstly wired to my router (it remembered the previous settings I'd tried to force feed it last night!) and it worked!!

Unplugged it from a wired connection and put it in the living room and it fired up again without problems!

Music playing fine!

Incidentally, ATV, Sonos and my Synology NAS all connected without fuss or issue!!! :wall:

AnotherJoe is a leg-end. Cheers fella

PJ

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
This problem has resurfaced and I'm once again at the merci of the gurus on here - including AnotherJoe.

Just moved into a new house and was dreading the possibility that all my kit would not like where we were moving (air not quite right or the paint of the walls may have offended!! ;))

All plugged in ok, and even the AX seemed to give the holy grail of the solid green light!

However, I made the mistake of resetting my O2 router (version V), which resets differently to old router and puts all the setting back. It changed the name of the router to the factory default etc, so I went into the settings and set it all up again - and checked the above as per AJ's comments about security.

This has not worked at all. I am borrowing my mother's laptop at the moment (binned my old desktop) so downloaded the latest version of Aiport Utility (5.6.1 I think) and have been trying to configure the damn thing ever since!!

Sometimes is finds the AX, sometimes it doesn't! No reason. Have reset the AX (soft, hard and factory reset) and now, the Utility will not find the AX at all! I've had flashing amber lights, solid green lights and even a mixture of the two colours! (yes one reset gave me a orangy green!). It has been plugged into my router in an attempt to configure for many hours now and I'm at my wits end.

I had thought I'd seen it all with this piece of tech, but no! It still baffles the hell out of me! Would 'upgrading' to a new AX solve all my problems?? The b/g/n thing makes me think that is the main issue.... but I'm not savvy enough to get my head around it all!

Any last assistance you guys can give before I bin the thing, would be good! It really is baffling!

Cheers - as always. PJ

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Just thougth I'd update this.

Went into an Apple Store and explained (probably rather long-windedly) the problem. Got suckered into buying a new AEX (on the premise I could bring it back if I wasn't happy) and got no discount off my old AEX (wasn't really expecting it given the age of it).

Brought it home, downloaded the AEX Utility app on my ipad and plugged it all in. Selected the AEX off the Wifi settings and went through the 3 screens to set it up and hey presto, a solid green light!

Listened to some Cinematic Orchestra through my old Sony Amp (see separate thread for upgrade help) and it sounded pretty spot on!

Most happy! Lets hope it stays that way!! ;)

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
PJ1200 said:
Went into an Apple Store and explained (probably rather long-windedly) the problem.

:doh:

Extra money...

Someone should take them to the trades description over the use of the term "Apple Genius". The term "Thieving b***ards" might be more appropriate.

Still at least your setup is working

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
PJ1200 said:
Went into an Apple Store and explained (probably rather long-windedly) the problem.

:doh:

Extra money...

Someone should take them to the trades description over the use of the term "Apple Genius". The term "Thieving b***ards" might be more appropriate.

Still at least your setup is working

Spot on!!

It is the first time I've been into the Apple Store to talk to someone. I went in there with the lowest of expectations - in that I'd searched the net loads - used the good folk here - and spent many an hour trying to sort it myself. I would have been overjoyed (but very surprised) if they had provided a solution.

That said, I was hoping (given the 'brand') that they would see it to themselves to offer a little discount off a new product. 10% to them would be nothing to them, but would have aided in helping one of their long-standing/suffering customers!

It is working though - and I'm enjoying listening to some streamed music again - but now it means I'm wondering what improvements I could make.... :doh:

onewaray

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happened with my connection. Changed to a new virgin media router and has since unable to connect my aex (new version). My connection is wpa2, problem is i dont know how to change the router setting to automatic or wpa. I need help. I only get amber light but airport is turned on, i dont understand. thanks!

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Big Boss- im looking to get an airport extreme since I have an AE. My side question is that when your moving around your house, do your devices automatically connect to the one with the best signal? i want to only have 1 network name in the house and use an AE and AE then hopefully it would automatically move between the strong ones.

This is probably similar in the office environment where you can go over multiple floors and the netwrok name stays the same. once you connect to one, you can walk around the office place. I dont want to have to keep asking all people who come over to connect to both.

does that make sense?

TRENDING THREADS