Cable wiring exposed. To fix or not to fix?

activebass

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I'm in the process of moving and while packing my system, I noticed that one of my QEDs had a small "cut" near the plug, which is open and leaves the wiring exposed.

To my eyes, none of the wires seem to be cut or rusted, so it would seem that the wires are still intact.

Should I bother to get someone to re-do the plugs for me or will the cable be fine as is?

71lixs.jpg

5f3d6u.jpg

2621u9h.jpg

1z7vx5.jpg

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
If it sounded fine to you before you took it out just wrap insulating tape around it looks ok, just slight surface corrosion.

If you noticed the sound was slightly different then get them reterminated

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Looks like a bit of insulation tape will do the job or, if you want to make a real nice job, get some heat shrink tubing from Maplins. I've used a hair dryer as the heat source. Just make sure it's big enough to get over the plug and will shrink enough to create a tight fit.

activebass

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Cheers lads!

I think I might try the shrink wrap option just to challenge my usually skill-less hands ;)

BTW, I like the term re-termination. It sounds like having to assassinate someone after a failed first attempt.

A

Anonymous

activebass:

Hi,

I'm in the process of moving and while packing my system, I noticed that one of my QEDs had a small "cut" near the plug, which is open and leaves the wiring exposed.

To my eyes, none of the wires seem to be cut or rusted, so it would seem that the wires are still intact.

Should I bother to get someone to re-do the plugs for me or will the cable be fine as is?

71lixs.jpg

5f3d6u.jpg

2621u9h.jpg

1z7vx5.jpg

Are the plugs soldered?

can you unscrew the plastic body to see how they are connected, might just be a grub screw connection if so take off the plugs cut back to sound insulation and refit

hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts