cable upgrade on low budget system

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
posted this on home cinema forum like a plank!

so keep it brief here. would upgrading from audio innovations ultra to something like chord silverscreen or qed sa be a noticeable upgrade on a naff system, albeit one that will progress with funds !

currently im using 5.1 system yamaha rxv-350 amp with diamond 9.0 as front speakers harmon kardon hd750 cd player

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've always held the theory that overspending on cables in the first place, doesn't have to break the bank, and you know that your system isn't going to be strangled by cable quality for a good few upgrades to come.

You'll only need a massive cable change if you make a massive upgrade (in which case you could afford the better, more expensive cables), or a serious change in type of sound output (bright to warm, maybe), in which case new cables might be needed.

I've found that longer-term it saves a little bit of the hassle and headache of re-threading cables (especially speaker cables) around furniture etc, if you can keep them a lot longer.

You also avoid the cable burn-in argument, as you carry using "bedded-in" cables for a lot longer. But that's an argument taking place elsewhere, and one that need not interfere with this thread...
emotion-5.gif

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
An "upgrade" would certainly change the sound, not necessarily in a way your ears would enjoy. Cables using silver will usually give a brighter sound and while this is beneficial in some systems it won't be in others.

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
my wharfedales are quite warm, so im leaning towards a silver cable. the bass is very good for the money they cost though detail is lacking and midrange very splashy at the mo so im thinking this is the next sensible step. thanks for the input everyone

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I've just replaced QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire to QED Revelation, the SA was too harsh with my Onkyo amp, if you're getting a warm sound with your Yamaha then it'll probably do the job.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts