Cable confusion, clarification needed, please.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Okay, so can someone clarify the names and types of cable I'm using for my digital connections? The Chord Signature running from my CDP to DAC? Is that a digital or co-axial or are they the same thing? The two that run from PS3 to DAC , and Airport Express to DAC? They're optical, yes? And spdif? Is that the same as a co-axial or what? Yours, slightly confused.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
The Chord is an electrical, or coaxial, digital cable. The other two are optical.

And S/PDIF (Sony/Digital Interface Format) is a protocol (for want of a better word) for sending data (usually audio) between two components. It can be run over optical or electrical cables.

The PS3 and AEX connections use optical TosLink (so-called because formalised by Toshiba). The small 3.5mm jack type connection used some devices is called a Mini-TosLink.

(And if any of the above is over-generalised, over-simplified or just a bit too rough, put it down to lack of sleep)

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
The Signature is coaxial and fitted with RCA plugs - digital cables carry a digital signal (1s and 0s) can either by coaxial or optical - I'm guessing the PS3/DAC and DAC/Airport Express cables are optical? spdif is a data protocol for actually sending a digital signal but is usually used to refer to optical cables.

Choosing to use a coaxial RCA digital connection or optical connection is a question of choice and in many cases are both provided simply to provide a digital connection to components that only have one or of the other.

Hope that helps - and Merry Christmas

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Andrew Everard:
The Chord is an electrical, or coaxial, digital cable. The other two are optical.

And S/PDIF (Sony/Digital Interface Format) is a protocol (for want of a better word) for sending data (usually audio) between two components. It can be run over optical or electrical cables.

The PS3 and AEX connections use optical TosLink (so-called because formalised by Toshiba). The small 3.5mm jack type connection used on some devices is called a Mini-TosLink.

(And if any of the above is over-generalised, over-simplified or just a bit too rough, put it down to lack of sleep)

You just beat me to it! Merry Christmas to you too..

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Andrew Everard:

The PS3 and AEX connections use optical TosLink (so-called because formalised by Toshiba). The small 3.5mm jack type connection used on some devices is called a Mini-TosLink.

Gotcha. And thanks.

Perfect for my over-simplified, over-generalised tech-mindset.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts