Cable advice

Highway 8

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, am ready to buy my new system, but need cable and speaker wire advice.

This is for a Yamaha A-S500, CD-S300-RK (rack version), and Infinity P162 bookshelf speakers (90db, 8ohm), which are cheap but got a good review here: http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1007inf/ If the system works well for my needs (I'm the low-volume guy), my plan is to upgrade the speakers in the coming year.

The distance to each speaker from amp will be about 10feet.

Do I need optical cables for the CD to Amp connection? And what quality grade and guage will I need for speaker wire? Is it better to have the same length wire to each speaker regardless of the distance? Is there a cost level or cable design where you get great sound but beyond that, diminishing returns? I'm looking for hard-boiled opinions on what is the right thing to do. Thanks very much.

Ralph.

A

Anonymous

i'll keep this brief and to the point as cables are a very hotly debated subject on here so best to use the search function if i leave anything unanswered...
cable lengths to each speaker should be the same.
best to use analogue interconnects instead of digital between amp and cdp especially as you amp doesnt have a digital input.
i love and use van den hul cables and think a used vdh d102mkIII
would be a great choice and represent excellent value for money.
i use van den hul 'the bridge' cable and love it but for your system you could get away with the cheaper 'the twin' cable.
there is definitely a law of diminishing returns with cables, as with all audio equipment. with your setup, i think a max spend of £100 is advisable.
probably of equal benefit would be some decent isolation in the form of a dedicated rack or some Tesco Finest granite chopping blocks - and no im not joking, i own four of them!

A

Anonymous

Hi, I know that it is common knowledge that speaker cables should be of equal length, irrespective of the distance from the amp, but what would be the result if they were not equal, for example one being 4 meters and the other 1 meter?

How would the sound be affected if this were the case?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:harrisonp:Read this extensive information regarding speaker cable and the cost.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#introduction

Apparently we've been duped for many a year.

So, that old saw gets trotted out once more - here we go again, people...

Yes, Mr. E...same old same old, I am sure there are many sceptics that like to read cables threads for some strange reason. Personally If I don't believe in it, I wouldn't even click on the thread. It's like people who wouldn't eat Chinese foods but keep reading the takeaway menu
emotion-40.gif

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Thaiman:Andrew Everard:harrisonp:Read this extensive information regarding speaker cable and the cost.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#introduction

Apparently we've been duped for many a year.

So, that old saw gets trotted out once more - here we go again, people...

Yes, Mr. E...same old same old, I am sure there are many sceptics that like to read cables threads for some strange reason. Personally If I don't believe in it, I wouldn't even click on the thread. It's like people who wouldn't eat Chinese foods but keep reading the takeaway menu
emotion-40.gif

Woops too late

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
willieeckslyke:

Hi, I know that it is common knowledge that speaker cables should be of equal length, irrespective of the distance from the amp, but what would be the result if they were not equal, for example one being 4 meters and the other 1 meter?

I think common knowledge is a bit over stated. Clearly there will be more signal attenuation in four metres of cable than there will be in one metre but I would bet that with a reasonable quality cable you would never hear the difference. If you have to coil the three metres cable up on the short side, there is more chance that this would be harmful (although that probably won't matter either). People fret far too much about these things, save yourself a few bob on the cable and have a tidier listening area.

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
hammill:willieeckslyke:

I think common knowledge is a bit over stated. Clearly there will be more signal attenuation in four metres of cable than there will be in one metre but I would bet that with a reasonable quality cable you would never hear the difference. If you have to coil the three metres cable up on the short side, there is more chance that this would be harmful (although that probably won't matter either). People fret far too much about these things, save yourself a few bob on the cable and have a tidier listening area.

I have speaker cable with very different lenghts,2m and 7m,i made many listening tests when i set up my system and i can not hear any difference in sound quality,maybe there is some difference but we cant hear it,my dealer also said its better than coiling up 5m extra.I use Nordost spellbinder cable which is not high end nor is it cheap.

TRENDING THREADS