CA Stereo & computer - Maxmizing sound quality.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello I'm somewhat a newby to the hifi world.

I have: Cambridge Audio S70 speakers & Cambridge Audio azur 540A amplifier connected via phono to an M-Audio Fast Track USB external sound card, which is connected via USB to my computer. I would say that my amplifier and speakers are sufficiently 'warn-in', and I am using high-quality cables. The 'sample rate and bit depth' properties for the driver, on my computer, are set to the highest settings - '2 channel, 24bit, 44100 Hz (Studio quality)'. For practical reasons, I play most of my music through Spotify Unlimited, which streams (having emailed Spotify for official reports) "99.9%" of their music "at [and not just 'up to'] 320kbps", mp3. I understand that these files are compressed and will be of a lower quality than CD's for example. My speakers are located about 3-4ft apart from each other, at a slight inward angle. I am sat just 1-2ft in front of my speakers, and my reciever is located directly in front of my, under my computer monitor. My room is small-to-average.

http://i41.tinypic.com/33w30h3.jpg

Although I understand that sound-quality perception is subjective, I have nothing else to compare the quality of my current setup to, since I haven't much of a history in Hifi equipment. With this in mind, I am basically wondering if I am doing anything 'wrong' as such with my setup, and if there are any obvious/simple/cheap/easy changes that I could make to improve my sound quality.

Any advice would be useful and interesting.

Thanks for your time,
Will

John Duncan

I'm not sure I would do anything without going further upmarket with amps and speakers. You're a bit close to the speakers so I might be inclined to toe them in a lot more - maybe moving them further out from the wall at the same time.

I'd also move the equipment/monitor so that you're sitting more centrally beween them if you can.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I'm not sure I would do anything without going further upmarket with amps and speakers. You're a bit close to the speakers so I might be inclined to toe them in a lot more - maybe moving them further out from the wall at the same time.

I'd also move the equipment/monitor so that you're sitting more centrally beween them if you can.

+1. But if going the speaker route to better sound, you could also consider a set of small active monitors, which would be designed for 'nearfield' listening. My system is such a setup and cost me around £500 (one careful previous owner) to give you some idea of cost. For close up listening with such a system, the actives will enable the whole set up to be more compact by doing away with the amp.

edit: Having just looked at your set up, I would also suggest that perhaps you need to somehow raise your speakers or lower your chair, as sitting 'over' your speakers will not deliver the best presentation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts