c320bee upgrade

steven123

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hello, i was wondering if someone knows it is worth to upgrade the old amp c320bee in my system. It consists of:

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

Nad c320bee

Hrt music streamer 2

Atacama nexus stands

Profigold budget interconnects

Chord Carnival SilverScreen speaker cables.

The sound is good, but also a bit unnatural. I would like some more rounder(warmer?) voices and a smoother sound. Is it worth to upgrade the amp to a marantz pm6003, of is it better to change the DAC for something like the VDAC?

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I have also Nad 320BEE, what I want to replace. For warmer sound go to used Arcam, Musical Fidelity,Yamaha,Rega Brio 2000 or tube amps. Musical Fidelity V-Dac can give a warmer sound, I think budget Marantz amps have not smooth sound. Try the new Cambridge Audio 350A amp, it has a good review in Hifi World Sept . issue

T

the record spot

Apart from warming to a theme again, your existing set-up might do well with some active speakers which are available for the kind of money you'd throw at a budget amp. See the likes of Yamaha's HS80 or the excellent KRK Rokit 5s which are plum in your budget's sites. Even better, if you liked them, selling off the Diamond 10.1 would probably get you around £100 and given the KRK's are about £200 and the Yamahas around £350, you'd do well out of it.

Maybe not something you've thought about, and it needs some consideration and a demo or two in a pro-audio shop, but they're superb and very capable speakers.

steven123

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Getting some active speakers, means i have to ditch almost my whole system ha:) I really like the looks of the Wharfedale 10.1, and i have noticed that they are transparent. Matching them with an marantz AV reciever(4-series) brings out a total different sound then with the NAD. So I wonder how they would sound with the by What Hifi highly rated pm6003. But i agree with you that Active Speakers are a good choice for a tight budget.

A

Anonymous

The 320 is a quality amp. It's the speakers you should replace - something around the £800 mark would be right.

steven123

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
There are not many fans of the new Wharfedales it seems ha. The weird thing is, the tannoy f1 on a sr7300 sounded great at my mothers house, but the Tannoy's in my house on the Nad soundes not that good. Room acoustics are also an important factor i guess.

But no one will recommend an upgrade to an pm6003?

steven123

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Well i bought a secondhanded Marantz pm6002 for a good price to see if it makes a difference. It did, but the sound is to bright with the Marants. I tried the NAD again and put it on tone defeat and the sound is really good, but ofcourse can be better. The marantz was more smooth and refined, while the NAD is warm and has a wider sound stage. An amp with a warm smooth sound would be perfect, but I think i will leave it like this hehe

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts