Buying records (vinyl).

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Reading Bretty's post "I'm gonna give vinyl a shot. Hows this for a first TT?" and the subsequent debate about owning vinyl got me thinking. I'm one of those who would never have obtained a turntable, having got rid of one years ago, unless I had a substantial and much loved vinyl collection. Over the years I found CD versions of many of my records, but am now enjoying listening to the records again. But if I wanted to start collecting records again, where would I look? An initial search has come up with little of interest, other than overpriced ancient and probably scratched recordings, few of which are of any interest to me. And I certainly can't find any new or recent recordings which are available on vinyl. Am I missing something?

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Plenty of places to look, used record shops, charity shops, ebay. Amazon has a good vinyl section for newer stuff, you also have Diverse Records online or their store in Newport, Gwent if you're anywhere nearby. Gemm is also a great place to look online.

Hope this gets you back into the groove.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Try starting out with the auctionsite www.gemm.com - used and new vinyl with a LOT of sellers connected to the site!

You can use detailed search to refine your search. And you can visit websites of the individual sellers etc.

Allso - check out this link http://www.laventure.net/tourist/internet.htm - with a lot of internet ressources.

Good luck!

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
whiskywheels:
And I certainly can't find any new or recent recordings which are available on vinyl. Am I missing something?

An awful lot of new music still comes out on vinyl. It depends what genres you're into.. New classical and jazz releases are pretty thin on the ground excluding the odd audiophile release, although labels like ECM and Nonesuch are doing vinyl again on some releases.

If you're into any of the following: rock/indie, most dance and electronic music, reggae, soul, funk, hip-hop, lots of americana/alt-country type stuff and, increasingly, straight pop, you're in luck. There is also a whole world of weird and wonderful reissues and compilations of both classic and more unusual discoveries.

A few online places I have used are: Juno, Norman Records, Piccadilly Records, Honest Jons, Boomkat, Sounds of the Universe and Diverse Vinyl. HMV and Amazon are also pretty good. Check the labels of your favorite artists to see if their stuff is coming out on vinyl and whether you can order it.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Wow, that's great, thanks everybody! Needless to say I'm into classical and jazz, so my options are going to be limited, but I think I may well start buying LPs again. Are modern pressings as good as the old? Despite my basic phono set up, there's something..........it's difficult not to sound pretentious.............fluid, articulate, dynamic and warm about LPs, even though my CDs sound OK, but there's just some subtle difference!

A

Anonymous

LISTEN dude , honest , good ole HMV ! You may be surprised just how many modern rock bands realease on vinyl . I got ALL , oasis ,radiohead kasabian libs,NIN, greenday, white stripes , deadweather,onanonanonanon ,from em .

google em and get looking . New vinyl and a top re issue catalogue. Farsens of em . Sometimes they promise new releases and don't get them but they don't take your cash till they send em. Free p&p and I have NEVER had a bad pressing !

easy peesy !

As these guys said though there's lots of places. You will get into it don't worry.

evo6tme

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
I was suprised to see HMV`s catalouge of vinyl 10060 listed.
emotion-21.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ivoreng:
LISTEN dude , honest , good ole HMV ! You may be surprised just how many modern rock bands realease on vinyl . I got ALL , oasis ,radiohead kasabian libs,NIN, greenday, white stripes , deadweather,onanonanonanon ,from em .

google em and get looking . New vinyl and a top re issue catalogue. Farsens of em . Sometimes they promise new releases and don't get them but they don't take your cash till they send em. Free p&p and I have NEVER had a bad pressing !

easy peesy !

As these guys said though there's lots of places. You will get into it don't worry.

I was a bit surprised at how good their catalogue is and free delivery is always a bonus

A

Anonymous

glad you like it. As I've said somewhere else they { HMV ) do sometimes promise new releases then fail to get them. But they don't take your dosh and if you find it elsewhere you can cancel with a mouse click no probs .

Ever get to LEEDS ? Go to CRASH RECORDS , and JUMBO RECORDS , both in the city center . Just though I'd mention it.

Oh and HOLE IN THE WALL , in Huddersfield centre.

Anyone got any for anywhere else ?

Could be the start of something big eh ?

A regional vinyl shopping guide !!

emotion-55.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
There's a decent regional guide published every month in Mojo magazine.

That doesn't take account of the hidden treasures in charity shops though.

Jumbo and Crash are good stores, I agree. Personally, I've found Jumbo prepared to go the extra mile when I've been in pursuit of hard to find new release vinyl.

A

Anonymous

thanks dude, but............they don't put directions in ........ta dah !

I was going to put ' hole in the wall ' in huddersfield in but I'm damned If can remember the directions ?????

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
ivoreng:
thanks dude, but............they don't put directions in ........ta dah !

I was going to put ' hole in the wall ' in huddersfield in but I'm damned If can remember the directions ?????

Ivoreng,

What are your current five favourite Fall tracks?

Here's mine:

1) Is This New - (Imperial Wax Solvent)
2) Who Makes The Nazis? (Peel Session version)
3) Psycho Mafia (Live At The Witch Trials)
4) Free Range (Code:Selfish)
5) Early Days Of Channel Fuhrer (Fall Heads Roll)

Bonus track:

6) Kicker Conspiracy (Palace Of Swords Reversed)

A

Anonymous

1) Pacifying joint (fall heads roll )

2) psykick dance hall ( dragnet )

3( hit the north (a sides 8489 )

4) your future our clutter ( same )

5) lay of the land ( wonderful world )

Your the only person I know outside the gigs who likes em lol !

Did you know the song ' hip priest ' featured in the film ' Silence of the lambs ' ?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I remember my utter amazement when I saw The Silence Of The Lambs at the cinema and turned to my then girlfriend during the Hip Priest "scene" to inform her that the sound she was hearing was the mighty Fall.

She never cared for them at all, in any shape or form whatsoever. Then again my wife isn't exactly in the throes of euphoria when MES' gang get unleashed.

My last encounter with them as a live entity was here in Wakefield at Balne Lane WMC, in May. Truly wonderful,slightly surreal, utterly Fall-esque, almost self-parodic, but great.

A

Anonymous

Charity shops can be fantastic. However, a lot depends if they have someone willing to put the time into it and to put interesting records out.

I help out on in my local Oxfam every Saturday. Checking everything for a rarity and it's really satisfying. It's worth all the time and effort for that one album that gets donated that's worth £80.

From a consumer point of view, if someone is actively managing it you're likely to find some real bargains. Charity shops never sell anything close to it's market value. If we find something worth £20, we'll price it for £10. Most charity shops do this. If you're lucky you'll find a charity shop that has someone actively managing the vinyl and putting "good" stuff out. Of course, taste is subjective but you will get some charity shops that sell 50 "James Last" LP's, but will leave "Led Zeppelin" and "The Beatles" to gather dust in the store room.ÿ

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Reprezent:
Charity shops can be fantastic. However, a lot depends if they have someone willing to put the time into it and to put interesting records out.

I help out on in my local Oxfam every Saturday. Checking everything for a rarity and it's really satisfying. It's worth all the time and effort for that one album that gets donated that's worth £80.

From a consumer point of view, if someone is actively managing it you're likely to find some real bargains. Charity shops never sell anything close to it's market value. If we find something worth £20, we'll price it for £10. Most charity shops do this. If you're lucky you'll find a charity shop that has someone actively managing the vinyl and putting "good" stuff out. Of course, taste is subjective but you will get some charity shops that sell 50 "James Last" LP's, but will leave "Led Zeppelin" and "The Beatles" to gather dust in the store room.ÿ

That's interesting to hear.

My recent experience of vinyl in charity shops is slightly different, in that I seem to encounter a more savvy pricing policy. The slight vinyl resurgence and commensurate interest in second-hand records has clearly, and quite rightly from a charity-business point of view, meant a hike in prices.

At least in the Oxfam shops with which I'm most familiar (Leeds, Whitby, Beverley, Ilkley, Leamington), prices are clearly in line with Record Collector & eBay. No "bargains" anymore. Still some occasional great finds though.

A

Anonymous

Charlie wrote........

"My last encounter with them as a live entity was here in Wakefield at
Balne Lane WMC, in May. Truly wonderful,slightly surreal, utterly
Fall-esque, almost self-parodic, but great."

Yeah we were at oldam seeing them arround the same time. ',m lucky my misses likes em and my daughter.

Your future sounded great. MES amp twiddling as usual as his misses did ' duped '

What ever mood I'm in there's always a fall LP to put me right !

Short story.....The Falls drummer Ade Mellings dad used to own a record shop 6 miles from me and everytime he got some ' mighty fall ' in he'd ring me and I went to get it. About 25 LP's he sold me !

Anyway now his lads drumming for em Mel won't leave me alone....he's not having em though !

How about this one Charlie.......I read the John Peel bio and guess what ?

According to JP , they never met each other ??????

A

Anonymous

Charlie Jefferson:Reprezent:

That's interesting to hear.

My recent experience of vinyl in charity shops is slightly different, in that I seem to encounter a more savvy pricing policy. The slight vinyl resurgence and commensurate interest in second-hand records has clearly, and quite rightly from a charity-business point of view, meant a hike in prices.

At least in the Oxfam shops with which I'm most familiar (Leeds, Whitby, Beverley, Ilkley, Leamington), prices are clearly in line with Record Collector & eBay. No "bargains" anymore. Still some occasional great finds though.

Oh yes, definitely. I don't have a clue how other Oxfam shops manage vinyl but from our experience, music sales are up 60% over the last 3 months. This has made the area manager to make us remove shelving for books and clothes, and to make room for more music. This contains CD's and Vinyl.

We have a simple policy that everything is checked in the Rare Record Price Guide, and if it's not in there we look on ebay/gemm/discogs to try and get a rough idea. However, as it's a charity shop and because we have vinyl coming out of our ears we price everything at half it's market value (of course, the condition plays a key part). If we find a record worth £40 we will sell it for £20.ÿ

However, things are difficult when another charity shop nearby is selling large amounts of vinyl all at 99p each . As we are being undercut I actively go around other shops in the area to see a) What they're selling and b) At what price. Then I will try and put different stuff out. Once I found an album worth £10 (quite a lot), priced it at £5, but then saw it in another charity shop 5 minutes away at 99p.

As I assume that the serious music fans go round all charity shops buying records, what hope do I have of selling that album for a price close to its actual value?

I sound like a bit of an anorak but as I'm putting every Saturday into it alongside a full time job, I had may as well do it properly. We've had some wonderful stuff come in though. It's interesting that those other charity shops you mention are pricing in line with ebay etc. I wonder what their sales are like in comparison with ours. We average about £120 a week on music.ÿ

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
ivoreng:
Charlie wrote........

"My last encounter with them as a live entity was here in Wakefield at
Balne Lane WMC, in May. Truly wonderful,slightly surreal, utterly
Fall-esque, almost self-parodic, but great."

Yeah we were at oldam seeing them arround the same time. ',m lucky my misses likes em and my daughter.

Your future sounded great. MES amp twiddling as usual as his misses did ' duped '

What ever mood I'm in there's always a fall LP to put me right !

Short story.....The Falls drummer Ade Mellings dad used to own a record shop 6 miles from me and everytime he got some ' mighty fall ' in he'd ring me and I went to get it. About 25 LP's he sold me !

Anyway now his lads drumming for em Mel won't leave me alone....he's not having em though !

How about this one Charlie.......I read the John Peel bio and guess what ?

According to JP , they never met each other ??????

Yes, in my younger days I always presumed John Peel and MES would be good friends, but I now I can see why they weren't or as you suggest they hardly ever met up.

You shouldn't meet your heroes I suppose. I once bumped into Jim James of My Morning Jacket, and drunkenly gushed loads of embarrassing praise in his direction. Cringe, squirm and more cringing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts