Buying new equipment

belker

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Rotel RA-931 amp Technics SL-PG580A CD player, Tannoy Mercury M2 speakers. QED Qunex interconnects and QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable.

Had the existing set up above a while now and was considering replacing the amp & Cd units. Can only do one at a time so which would give me most improvement first, replacing the amp or cd player?

Was considering the Marantz CD6002 and PM6002 units that are on offer at Richer Sounds but having seen the other threads not sure now. Any thoughts?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Marantz pairing is definitely worth listening to for your set up - i'd encourage you to find a dealer where you can get a demo (other retailers are offering similar deals to Richer on this CD player and amp).

belker

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I've been and had a listen to the marantz CD6002 and 90% sure I'm gonna go for it. I was telling the salesman about my system and explaining how my Tannoy speakers tend to dominat my living area as my set up is in a small room and they need to be away from the walls. He suggested these ...... http://www.endulgence.co.uk/roch_audio_oli1.html Said they might not sound as good as my Tannoys but would be less obtrusive. Anyone actually heard these speakers, I know they're only cheap but they did get a good write up in What Hi-Fi a month or so back, any thoughts ???

A

Anonymous

Quite a decent listen, wasn't half that bad. I just read the WHF review and agree about everything they said. The only negative aspect I have about them is that they do look a little cheap. If you want more bass, might as well look at the floorstaning Roth Oli.

belker

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Just received my new CD player. I opted for the NAD C515BEE in the end, had a listen in Richer Sounds and then got it online for £136.
Definate improvement on my Technics player. I envy those of you who can afford to spend £100's on pieces of kit !!!
New amp next on the agenda - either the Marantz PM6002 or might get the equivalent NAD amp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="belker"]
Just received my new CD player. I opted for the NAD C515BEE in the end, had a listen in Richer Sounds and then got it online for £136. Definate improvement on my Technics player. I envy those of you who can afford to spend £100's on pieces of kit !!! New amp next on the agenda - either the Marantz PM6002 or might get the equivalent NAD amp.
[/quote]

Perhaps next time you buy from the dealer that lets you listen to their products rather than trying to save 20quid or so which, if something does go wrong with the product, is not such a great saving anymore considering the inconvenience it might cause. I'm sure the dealer, even if its richer sounds, would appreciate your support for their help. Nice little player you have now.

belker

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Richer Sounds only had a display model in Titanium - I wanted black - and they couldn't guarantee getting me anything other than a display model from another branch, hence buying elsewhere. I was quite open with them about doing so and they had no problems. I've spent plenty in Richer Sounds previously.
Perhaps you should review the tone of your comments before making ill advised posts.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't go downgrading your speakers like that, looks like they are already the weak link to me along with the CD player. how much are you looking to spend? I'd possibly look at the F1 customs from tannoy they are 300 x 170 x 220mm, or the revolution signature DC4's which are 270 x 169 x 175mm, but they are considerably more expensive. More like 500 quid. Both considerably smaller than you M2's though.

Has to be said, going smaller will significantly affect your bass response for the worst. so there is always this from tannoy, which looks great IMo and can be wall mounted but are perhaps a little large at 460 x 196 x 260mm. For reference, your M2's are 380 x 204 x 275mm. (edit: my bad, they are 285 x 470 x 690mm and even that may be wrong:)

I used to use (and still posess) a pair of the M3 floorstanders, I always loved that tannoy sound - but now I am a monitor audio fan - I think though MA would be way out of your size range though, unless you go for the radius series and I have no idea what they are like.

CD player? perhaps something NAD, or rotel to go with your amp. But I'm not so sure myself. I'd take you amp into richer and hang a few different things off of it. Take the missus so she can veto something BEFORE you fall in love with its sound:)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="belker"]Richer Sounds only had a display model in Titanium - I wanted black - and they couldn't guarantee getting me anything other than a display model from another branch, hence buying elsewhere. I was quite open with them about doing so and they had no problems. I've spent plenty in Richer Sounds previously. Perhaps you should review the tone of your comments before making ill advised posts[/quote]

Only just saw your reply. Fair play and my apologies. It was'nt very clear from your posting and a fair number of people do just that on a regular basis, I know. Tried to make a point and picked the wrong man.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts