Buying LPs reference valuation purposes

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I have today purchased for the pricely sum of £4 from a charity shop

Holst the planets - Halle orchestra (conductor James Loughran) EMI mfp lable dated 1976

The Sound of Music - RCA Victor label 1965 with storybook inner sleeve

Rex Harrison/Julie Andrews My Fair Lady Columbia records 1975?

South Pacific Rodgers & Hammerstein - RCA Victor with storybook inner sleeve dated 1958.

I will test on my turntable tomorrow but is soundtracks/musicals a wiser investment for LPs compared to albums like James Last - save the best for last (sic)

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
My guess is Soundtracks will generally always be a better investment than James Last albums (!) but if your albums are in good nick you did pretty well to get them for £4

...In my experience (certainly up here in Durham) charity shops are charging daft prices for vinyl irrespective of a disc's real worth or rarity. ..i.e. bog standard used Queen /Rolling Stones albums selling for £15 and upwards ... I thought the days of finding good cheap vinyl were long gone but perhaps not everywhere is like it is here?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I must be odd, other than the Planets album (which is excellent, but not my fav version) I'd rather listen to James Last than that other junk, any day of the week. Takes all sorts, obviously. Price is about right if they're in good nick.

jjbomber

MajorFubar: Please note that If I'm showing as "Offline" under my avatar, it could be because I'm actually listening to some music on my HiFi instead of sat in front of a computer typing about it. Novel idea eh, listening to the HiFi? Not sure it'll catch on!

Nope, you're showing as online.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Actually listened to all bar 1, my fair lady but are in good nick, since then have purchased the following all for a £1 each:

West Side Story CBS alas no date but is Robert Wise conducted by Johnny Green

Mary Poppins HMV/EMI Soundtrack 1964 LP with inner sleeve promoting His Master Voice outstanding LPs

Evita David Essex/Elaine Paige/Joss Ackland Silver MCA Album dated 1978 with photos on album

Ronco A Christmas Present Album with pop up christmas scene dated 1973.

Even via a basic ION record player designed with MP3 at heart music from vinyl is still a treat and justifies the record on the voyager space probe as a source that will withstand the ebbs of time as it leaves our solar system. Somehow I don't think cassette would have been so durable in comparison! I shall continue to purchase vinyl at these prices.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts