Buying a new system, 3000 Pounds

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I wish to build a home theatre. The room dimensions are 20 feet by 22 feet. I have put a pool table in half the area, so the screen area and sitting area for the home theatre would be approx. 20 feet by 11 feet.

Listening will be primarily music and movies.

The budget for SPEAKERS ONLY is 3000 pounds. Remember, it excludes amplifier, project and cabling. Just the speaker package.

I wish to put up a 7.1 speaker package. Please recommend me what front speakers, subs, surround would you recommend..

Thanks

Anmol

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You have a variety of options here. I would say go for the CM8 package in 7.1 or go for the q900 7.1 package. Both are excellent systems and will work well in your room.

I would tell you to consider the MA Apex, however after i personally demo'ed them I thought hey sounded flat and lacked that Mid Driver that the other two mentioned had. They just dont perform.

So my advice is CM8 or q900

If it helps im going through the same thing right now...

I forgot to ask you, which av are you running. You are going to need something with power to run this.

D

Deleted member 2457

duaplex said:
You have a variety of options here. I would say go for the CM8 package in 7.1 or go for the q900 7.1 package. Both are excellent systems and will work well in your room.

I would tell you to consider the MA Apex, however after i personally demo'ed them I thought hey sounded flat and lacked that Mid Driver that the other two mentioned had. They just dont perform.

So my advice is CM8 or q900

If it helps im going through the same thing right now...

I forgot to ask you, which av are you running. You are going to need something with power to run this.

Hi

What was the amp with the MA Apex when you heard them? was it a Yamaha or Denon?

Cheers

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Anmol

Do you want discreet speakers, or are you happy to use larger, floor standing speakers? For smaller speakers, the Monitor Audio Apex package is one of the best ones around at the moment - I've never found them to sound flat in any demo I've done - maybe some dealers just don't know how to set up a system effectively. Also, you could look at the Monitor Audio SoundFrame package, which are about 4" deep and their grilles can be customised with artwork, a la Artcoustic.

For something a little more meaty, you can look at Monitor Audio's Silver RX series packages, although you can currently get Gold GS20 or GS60 packages for virtually the same price, which outperform the RX's. Also, take a look at the KEF Q900 package, which is extremely good at effects placement and imaging due to the range's UniQ drivers. Don't forget that your speaker package and whichever accompanying receiver you choose, need to be able to fill the whole room, not just the half you're going to use for the AV system. I would recommend two sub's in a room that size in order to maintain a flatter in room bass response, which should be more than feasible within your budget.

You won't need to go as far as 7.1 for the area you're covering. If you feel you need to, this can be added in later - get your main 5.1 package right first.

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Anmol,

Don't just take one persons view of Apex. Go look and listen for yourself. Get a demo at a good reputable dealer who spend time setting up the system correctly. Look at the reviews and also check out the post with many happy Apex customers.

I think you will find Apex is everything the reviews endorse.

A

Anonymous

the op has said he wants a system primarily for music, that rules out the apex, even if space is an issue and he would prefer standmounts then there are many that will out perform the apex with music.

one standmount option is dynaudio dm 2/7s as fronts with a dm centre and sub and 2/6s as rears, or atc scm11 fronts, centre and sub plus scm7 rears, both will outgun the apex system with music, perhaps movies too?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
"primarily music and movies" - we don't really know the actual ratio.

While the Apex might not worry a good pair of traditional hi-fi speakers, it depends on what the OP is used to, and what he expects from his music. Some people like sub/sat speaker systems for music because of the extra LF.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts